Evansville @ Wichita State

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Evansville @ Wichita State

Postby 2livewu » January 26th, 2012, 12:38 pm

I agree AceDad. And like every fan, I am biased but I detached myself a long time ago and see things in a different light.

Look, I am not dismissing what UE did. I will freely admit and compliment them on their effort and execution...not 1 in 50 teams would keep fighting the way they did when they were getting it handed to them (see Bradley and SIU).

But to say that WSU continued to have the same effort and intensity when the score came down is being, at least, equally biased in the other direction. Did UE have something to say about that? No doubt, but to say WSU didn't have a hand in it is also a little disingenuous.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Ace Dad » January 26th, 2012, 1:02 pm

2livewu wrote:I agree AceDad. And like every fan, I am biased but I detached myself a long time ago and see things in a different light.

Look, I am not dismissing what UE did. I will freely admit and compliment them on their effort and execution...not 1 in 50 teams would keep fighting the way they did when they were getting it handed to them (see Bradley and SIU).

But to say that WSU continued to have the same effort and intensity when the score came down is being, at least, equally biased in the other direction. Did UE have something to say about that? No doubt, but to say WSU didn't have a hand in it is also a little disingenuous.

OK, UNCLE!

Good luck the rest of the season. I am hoping you "win out" and that we meet in St Louis.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » January 26th, 2012, 1:45 pm

sect.3purple wrote:I just watched the game - late-night replay on Fox. I usually don't comment on officiating, but I thought this was one of the worst-officiated games in favor of the home team that I have ever seen. There were several charges by WSU that were instead called as blocks. Three times Ryan was fouled in the act of shooting...no call! Toward the end of the game, when the Aces were making their comeback, there were two horrible fouls called on UE, one on Ryan and one on Taylor, which should have been a travel on WSU and a foul on WSU. Also, there were two clean tie-ups that should have been called jump balls, but fouls were called on us! Now, I don't know if we could have come back and won without so many biased calls, but I think we may have.

This comment is not to take anything away from the Shockers. They are a great team, and we just could not match up with Stutz that first half. However, I still believe we would have had a good chance to win had the officiating not have been so one-sided. This isn't sour grapes. We lost and it is history. Just shouldn't be officiating that favors the home team!

I sit on the corner and so I have a pretty good view of paint play at one end of the court.

When you were conducting your review of the officials' competence, apparently the Aces defensive end of the court in the paint area escaped your attention.

There were precious few instances in which Shockers' were not fouled in the deep paint.

On the "held" ball at the south end, which you insist there was no foul, you might take another look. I had a very good view of the play. The Shocker was hacked on the arms just above the wrist, on the hands and shoved in the back.

It is what it is for both teams. Learn to play physical or just roll over and get your butt kicked.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » January 26th, 2012, 1:48 pm

And if anyone wants to discuss officiating, let's review the 5 second call against Toure'.....I couldn't stop laughing it was so egregious as a watched the replay.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby WuShockNation » January 26th, 2012, 1:52 pm

we get our butts whipped so lets blame the refs
WuShockNation
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » January 26th, 2012, 1:53 pm

2livewu wrote:I agree AceDad. And like every fan, I am biased but I detached myself a long time ago and see things in a different light.

I agree. I characterize the Shockers' play in the last 10-12 minutes as just plain sloppy. Dumb fouls, dumb turnovers, dumb shots. The Shocks fouled 3 point shooters on two occasions for Christ's sake.

At one point in the game, the lead was in the vacinity of 23-25 points. A letdown is natural and surely there was one. The Aces never quit and caused a respectable final score.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby sect.3purple » January 26th, 2012, 4:10 pm

Very interesting to read the comments about the game on the day after. I thought the officiating was way too favorable to WSU. Many Shockers fans thought that we were fouling under the basket. Aces fans thought their team showed great spirit and effort in trying to come back from a 25-point deficit. Shockers thought their team was simply cruising home without as much effort. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....here in the Valley beauty can be basketball for several months of the year. I know, being from Indiana, that there is not much better than a well-played basketball game in the grey of winter. Both sides, WSU and UE, saw that last night.....granted, our good play did not result in a win, but we gave it all we had.

Good luck to the Shockers....until we meet again.....then let's hope we have fair officiating! :) Sorry, just couldn't help myself! Seriously, you have a great team to be very proud of...and good luck in the future. If we don't dance (and I certainly hope that we do)...I'll be rooting for the Shockers to represent the MVC well!
sect.3purple
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby pafan » January 26th, 2012, 5:36 pm

If I remember right, Stutz was whistled for goaltending three times.

That's not normal, is it?
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby 2livewu » January 26th, 2012, 5:40 pm

I'm pretty sure it was just 1.....and yes even 1 is unusual.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » January 26th, 2012, 5:50 pm

Something else that isn't normal for Stutz...multiple spin moves for a dunk! I think that the lack of a wide body was much moe devastating for the Aces than the lack of height. Stutz seriously looked NBA good.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball