Bears at the Birds

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Bears at the Birds

Postby FeartheQ » January 25th, 2012, 8:37 pm

Kind of sucks to lose all of these games knowing we led a majority of the time. I am hoping that a lot of new faces next year changes something. This core is not working.
FeartheQ
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MSUBear42 » January 25th, 2012, 8:38 pm

Haha wrote:Man I felt his pain when they showed his ankle during a pause in the action during OT. OUCH

Awful...

Losing Patterson lost us the game. He was playing great tonight.

Look at this thing:

MSUBear42
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby cpacmel » January 25th, 2012, 8:39 pm

Why in the world would Lusk sit Weems for the first 2 minutes of OT? Yeah, he had 4 fouls, but to have him miss 40% of OT is questionable.

Carmichael with 26 pts and 15 boards

Hope Patterson is alright.
cpacmel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » January 25th, 2012, 8:52 pm

FeartheQ wrote:Kind of sucks to lose all of these games knowing we led a majority of the time. I am hoping that a lot of new faces next year changes something. This core is not working.

Yes but it also sucks that we aren't better than this in Weems last year. He's one of the better players in Bears history it would have been nice for him to go out in style.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » January 25th, 2012, 10:11 pm

Too bad about Patterson. I had a very similar ankle sprain in HS that side-lined me for 6 weeks. Of course, I wasn't a D-I athlete and didn't have the training staff available that Patterson will have.

As to Weems' last season...He is one of the better players in MSU history, and with that, it is his team and his job to push his team to win. He is capable and there is still a lot of basketball left. Chin up Bears fans!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby troutangler » January 25th, 2012, 10:24 pm

If Patterson hadn't been trying to flop and draw a foul that wasn't there, maybe he wouldn't have hurt himself. He took a big step back and threw his head back like he had just gotten clocked and that's when he rolled his ankle.

Once again we can't close out a game. Lusk has been completely unimpressive so far. He is worse than Barry at this point when it comes to finishing games.
troutangler
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby glm38 » January 25th, 2012, 10:28 pm

Wufan wrote:Too bad about Patterson. I had a very similar ankle sprain in HS that side-lined me for 6 weeks. Of course, I wasn't a D-I athlete and didn't have the training staff available that Patterson will have.

As to Weems' last season...He is one of the better players in MSU history, and with that, it is his team and his job to push his team to win. He is capable and there is still a lot of basketball left. Chin up Bears fans!

I was really looking forward to seeing Patterson and Stutz go head to head this year. 2 pretty talented legitimate 7 footers (or 6'11.75" for Patterson). Very disappointing that we may not get to see that at all.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » January 25th, 2012, 11:46 pm

Bear fans may not believe this, but I have been pulling for you guys and am disappointed with your recent struggles. The Bears and the Panthers were our two best hopes at a third at large, so yeah, I don't like watching either of them lose. While I'm not losing any sleep over their recent woes, I do want to pass on a little hope for things to come. While Creighton certainly hasn't wrapped anything up this year, they sure seem much better this year than they did last. And that is what should be encouraging for Bear fans.

I have noticed a lot of similarities between this year's Bears squad and the Bluejays from last year. Last year, Creighton had a new head coach. McDermott seemed brilliant at some times and lost others. The same can be said for Lusk this year. I think much of this is establishing chemistry with the players. Creighton had a lot of talent last year, but found ways to lose a bunch of games late. Much of it was chemistry. But as tough as it was last year for Bluejay fans, this year has been equally rewarding to this point in the season. and I think the same can be said for what to expect of the Bears next year.

To look a little closer, I think the Bluejays lost a game against the Bears last year in the final possession. I also think that they led the Bears in St Louis, only to self destruct. They led Wichita State at Wichita until the final minute, it might have also been the final possession, I can't remember. They also lost to Northwestern in overtime, after blowing a double digit second half lead. It goes on and on. This sounds eerily similar to the Bears this year, they just can't put games away. Then again, much of this has to do with new players and new coaches trying to put things together.

And it's not a talent issue, Missouri State has a boatload of talent. And while they lose Weems after this year, next year they will have as much or more talent returning. Plus, they should gel much more as a team. Less of this is on Lusk and none of this is on Weems, or even referees protecting or not protecting players, it is new guys trying to figure out expectations of a new coach and a new coach trying to figure out how to use the team he just inherited. Time fixes this.

It is never fun to say wait until next year, but that is probably what Bear fans have to do at this point. I was one of the people that picked MSU sixth. I did it for many of the same reasons that Creighton struggled last year. I can guarantee you that I won't pick them sixth next year. Keep your heads up Bear fans, good things are on the horizon. It might be painful to wait, but just be a little patient. Lusk has the looks of being a very good coach and you have a stable of talent. Sometimes, you just have to be Cubs fans and say wait until next year. Next year, you guys will be scary good.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MSUBear42 » January 26th, 2012, 6:45 am

troutangler wrote:If Patterson hadn't been trying to flop and draw a foul that wasn't there, maybe he wouldn't have hurt himself.

Are you freaking kidding me???

His eyes rolled into the back of his head like he was about to pass out and he rolled his ankle before falling to the ground. That was NOT a flop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=459IlgwDzFg

Sounds like last night will have been his last game ever in a Missouri State uniform.
MSUBear42
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdmanBB » January 26th, 2012, 8:43 am

I think the poster is saying that had he not been positioning himself to flop, he would not have gotten hurt.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball