Nice story on Gregg Marshall

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby jayball » January 25th, 2012, 2:58 pm

WSU and Gregg getting some national love
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/34551166

I hope both CU and WSU can win out until our rematch in Omaha. It would be pretty awesome to have 2 ranked teams doing battle on national TV.
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Nice story on Gregg Marshall

Postby Ace Dad » January 25th, 2012, 3:21 pm

Coach Marshall is a good dude. He is normal and he is honest.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheShock » January 25th, 2012, 4:14 pm

Thanks guys! Good find jayball. Of course Marshall has his critics, however he's honest, genuine, tells it like it is and doesn’t try to suck up to anyone. Many feel he’s the perfect fit for WSU. He’s a blue collar type of guy (like the majority of WSU fans) who played basketball at a small college, “Marshall received a B.A. degree in economics/business in 1985 from Randolph-Macon.”

Yes, he’ll have numerous opportunities to leave Wichita in the future, however it wouldn’t surprise me to see him stay for a few more years. The Valley is a top 10 conference and is showing signs of improvement… and it’s stable. Providing the league receives 2-3 bids annually, coaches like Marshall might choose to stay longer. A million bucks in Omaha, Wichita or any other Valley school can take you a long way. Additionally, a coach can be the King of his community and not have the ‘BS’ he would endure in a power 6 conference.

Marshall’s current contract:
http://www.kansas.com/2011/05/20/185639 ... lized.html
TheShock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby valleychamp » January 25th, 2012, 4:29 pm

What happened with Turgeon? Did he know he was going to leave, and he just mailed it in? Seems pretty weird how wsu absolutely imploded the very next year after making a tournament run.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » January 25th, 2012, 4:42 pm

valleychamp wrote:What happened with Turgeon? Did he know he was going to leave, and he just mailed it in? Seems pretty weird how wsu absolutely imploded the very next year after making a tournament run.

Rumors I heard where that some of the teamates didn't get along with each other. I also heard a rumor that a certain three point shooter on that team was hooking up with a teamates girlfriend. Turgeon did some poor recruiting the year of the sweet 16 and had guys in here that shouldn't have been playing D1 basketball.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » January 25th, 2012, 4:49 pm

valleychamp wrote:What happened with Turgeon? Did he know he was going to leave, and he just mailed it in? Seems pretty weird how wsu absolutely imploded the very next year after making a tournament run.

Bottom line, 2 missed years of recruiting (no tournament pop so to speak) and one of the worst management jobs in the history of coaching the last half of 2006-2007.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Haha » January 25th, 2012, 9:35 pm

Turg really tried hard to burn the place down on his way out. I like the guy and he did good bringing back WSU from the lost decade but man just left a turd on his way out.
Haha
All MVC
All MVC

Postby WuShockNation » January 25th, 2012, 9:42 pm

Yea Coach Marshall is a good dude, if you saw him in the store and walked up to him, he would take the time out to have a conversation with you.
WuShockNation
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Shockerfan13 » January 25th, 2012, 10:55 pm

2livewu wrote:

Bottom line, 2 missed years of recruiting (no tournament pop so to speak) and one of the worst management jobs in the history of coaching the last half of 2006-2007.

I truthfully feel that Tad Boyle was our "glue" guy. When he left, so did our success. Even Turgeon said that he leaned on Boyle A LOT during difficult times. When difficult times hit, we didn't overcome the adversity.

Since then I think Turgeon has adjusted and grown as a coach. But during that time I think Boyle leaving actually had alot to do with it. The recruiting suffered also.
Shockerfan13
All MVC
All MVC

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball