Creighton at Drake 1/25

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Creighton at Drake 1/25

Postby Jet915 » January 25th, 2012, 9:06 pm

Surprised there was no thread. Creighton wins a hard fought battle with Drake 77-69. Manigat with 5 3's in the game. McDermott solid with 30 points. Btw, Ben Simon's made Manigat run laps today, he's gonna be a good one for Drake.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Creighton at Drake 1/25

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Creighton at Drake 7/25

Postby musiccitybulldog » January 25th, 2012, 9:39 pm

Close game. Creighton has a lot of weapons, lots of ways to get to the hoop. Drake could have used a few of the missed threes that were in and out. I beleive the Bulldogs will win the next one.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jays26 » January 25th, 2012, 9:41 pm

musiccitybulldog wrote:Close game. Creighton has a lot of weapons, lots of ways to get to the hoop. Drake could have used a few of the missed threes that were in and out. I beleive the Bulldogs will win the next one.

You mean their next game or the next one against Creighton?????
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC

Postby musiccitybulldog » January 25th, 2012, 9:47 pm

HaHa...good point..BOTH! I meant Wichita and but maybe we will see the Jays in St. Louis.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby getreal4 » January 25th, 2012, 10:28 pm

Congrats to the Jays on a nice road win. Tough loss for the dogs tonight, moral victory compared to the pathetic showing in cedarloo on Sunday

Jays have a lot of depth and should represent the Valley well in BB and the dance.
getreal4
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DUBulldog » January 26th, 2012, 10:29 am

Bulldogs played hard, but didn't shoot nearly well enough to pull it off. 4-18 from 3-pt range isn't going to get it done against a ranked team.

Actually, the very first possession of the game proved to be a bad omen for the Bulldogs.....

CU won the tip, Young drove the lane and was emphatically rejected by K Woods....a CU player runs it down in the left corner....throws a cross court pass that Ben Simons tips and almost intercepts.....but deflected pass falls right in the hands of Manigat, who drained the 3. It was clear right then that the basketball gods weren't with the Bulldogs. CU never trailed, although DU closed to within 2-4 several times in the 2nd half.

Edit: Turns out the Bulldogs did lead once, at 17-16.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 26th, 2012, 12:33 pm

I thought Drake looked much, much better than they did in Omaha. That team lacked fight; the team last night did not.

Ben Simons is something else. I think I got dizzy watching him run around in circles trying to lose his defender on screens. I've always thought my 7 year old son has limitless energy, but Simons might be able to give him a run for his money. Drake has some really good pieces and could be pretty salty with Van Deest and Uhlenhop next year. Props to the DRake student section for creativity as well -- everybody does the "Daddy's Boy" chant at Doug and it is pretty stale at this point, but the "You're adopted" chant was one I haven't heard before. I think the crowd harassment only inspired his 30 point outburst though.

Tried to swing by and say hi at halftime DU, but you were nowhere to be found. I assumed you must have been in the 3 mile long bathroom line (note to Drake: feel free to install a couple more bathrooms!). Also, were you running your own little boycott of the "whiteout"? :D

Now Drake, take of WSU, will ya?

As for the Jays, different guys just keeping stepping up. This game it was Manigat and the local kid, Artino. We are much deeper than we've been given credit for.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jays26 » January 26th, 2012, 1:09 pm

Good artical.....

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... 1201250170

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP)—Creighton carries itself with a quiet confidence wherever it goes, allowing the Bluejays to handle road games like few other teams in the country.

Of course, having Doug McDermott to lean on would give any team a little extra swagger.

McDermott scored 30 points and No. 15 Creighton held off Drake 77-69 on Wednesday night for its sixth straight road win.
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DUBulldog » January 26th, 2012, 1:09 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:Ben Simons is something else. I think I got dizzy watching him run around in circles trying to lose his defender on screens. I've always thought my 7 year old son has limitless energy, but Simons might be able to give him a run for his money. Drake has some really good pieces and could be pretty salty with Van Deest and Uhlenhop next year. Props to the DRake student section for creativity as well -- everybody does the "Daddy's Boy" chant at Doug and it is pretty stale at this point, but the "You're adopted" chant was one I haven't heard before. I think the crowd harassment only inspired his 30 point outburst though.

That, and Phelps' insistence on switching every screen, which left a 6-foot guard trying to cover McDermott much of the night.

.Tried to swing by and say hi at halftime DU, but you were nowhere to be found. I assumed you must have been in the 3 mile long bathroom line (note to Drake: feel free to install a couple more bathrooms!).

I should have told you that myself, and a lot of the other Drakenation regulars meet in the southeast corner of the Knapp at halftime to bitch and moan.

Just as an FYI, there are long-term plans for the Knapp that include bathrooms on the north side of the arena. Not sure when we might see that happen.

Also, were you running your own little boycott of the "whiteout"? :D

LOL.....I'm so pasty white, that I don't own any white Drake gear....I was hoping I'd get there early enough to get one of the free ones they were giving away, but stayed at the West End too long for that. :Cheers:
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 2livewu » January 26th, 2012, 4:02 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:As for the Jays, different guys just keeping stepping up. This game it was Manigat and the local kid, Artino. We are much deeper than we've been given credit for.

Who is not giving you credit for being deep? Creighton is the deepest, most talented team in the league. I haven't ever seen or heard that comment.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball