Wichita @ Drake 1/28 8PM

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Wichita @ Drake 1/28 8PM

Postby Ace Dad » January 30th, 2012, 4:33 pm

2livewu wrote:Totally ridiculous and unfair generalizations.

The program financially is in better shape than any in the Valley, except maybe Creighton. Gregg has won 100 games faster than any WSU coach in history. He's won a major tournament. Finished at least 2nd 3 of 5 years. Reached the first final ever in St. Louis, and won more postseason games than any WSU coach, EVER, by a WIDE margin.

He's graduated EVERY senior in the program, and to my knowledge there have been ZERO cases of any players getting in trouble outside of the gym, save missing a class here or there.

And as much as the rest of the Valley wants to hate WSU, you'd be very hard pressed to say "player X" is a real jackass on the floor...I hate those guys. Gregg may have his quirks, but you simply can't say he hasn't won and lost without class, with the one game in St Louis in year 1 being the exception, and again, name 1 player while he's been here that you would label an ass. For instance, I think most people would say Weems is an ass, that aren't fans of MSU.

Also, I don't know what he was picked in year 1 and 2, but in 2 he tied for 4th (I think, it could have been 5th) and then picked 2nd and finished a clear 2nd, then picked first and lost 1st on the last day of the season, then picked 2nd and will finish no lower than 2nd. Perhaps it's a few WSU fans unreasonable expectations rubbing off on other fan bases. Or perhaps it's just jealousy from people who wish their team could compete at a national level (which nobody except CU can by the way).

Either way.......underachieving? I think not.

Agreed.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Ace Dad » January 30th, 2012, 4:33 pm

valleychamp wrote:Ridiculous? No. Unfair? Maybe. But that's just the way it is in college basketball. You can talk about how he has won so many "postseason" games, but you and everyone else knows that the only postseason that matters is the NCAA tournament.

WSU could have easily been in the tournament each of the last two seasons, and absolutely should have been a tournament team last year, but they failed to do so.

Disagree.

Fanspeak, similiar to Coachspeak: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiWnxiV_EOk

Fanspeak and Coachspeak occur when there is no reason for what occurred, but we have to say something anyway.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ictjay » January 31st, 2012, 10:56 am

Much was made a couple weeks ago by Coach Mac about the need to get additional minutes to the #8, 9, and 10 bench players in order to physically survive the season and finish strong. I believe this has been accomplished with Mac throwing Chatman and Artino in the fray when it mattered. I know several SN's who have touched on this (especially after the Drake game) but has Gregg been asked/commented? Top 7 have logged some serious minutes in must-have games.
ictjay
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MoValley John » January 31st, 2012, 11:22 am

ictjay wrote:Much was made a couple weeks ago by Coach Mac about the need to get additional minutes to the #8, 9, and 10 bench players in order to physically survive the season and finish strong. I believe this has been accomplished with Mac throwing Chatman and Artino in the fray when it mattered. I know several SN's who have touched on this (especially after the Drake game) but has Gregg been asked/commented? Top 7 have logged some serious minutes in must-have games.

I don't know if the bench gets shortened against Wichita State or not, but McDermott has been using a ton of bench. You have to include Dingman in your list of players getting meaningful minutes. I also think it might be why some games appear closer than they are. While I don't think Creighton is nearly as athletic as Wichita State, they do run legitimately 10 deep and the coach seems to trust in all of his players to be ready to play during crunch time.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball