Wichita @ Drake 1/28 8PM

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Wichita @ Drake 1/28 8PM

Postby Snaggletooth » January 29th, 2012, 3:24 pm

mecha_bulldog wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:ISASO right. WSU has plenty of shooters, but not enough makers. They are a very inconsistent 3pt shooting team. Some games they are on, sometime not - it is about 50-50% proposition. When WSU has lost this year you see their 3pt shooting just not be sub-standard, but dismall (like 1-14 vs CU in the 2nd half) or Kyles 0-8 performance tonight. It will hold them back in either the NCAA or NIT.

WSU was 6-14 on 3s in regulation, so that's pretty good. It was their 1-11 3-point shooting in OT that killed them.

Ragland was 4 for 6 from 3pt and that all came in the first half. But he was pretty much in foul trouble most late in the first half and the rest of the game which took him out of the flow. He never got another 3pt shot - and he is WSU most consistent shooter. That means the rest of the team went 3 for 19.

The biggest problem I have with that is WSU didn't even get their big men touches. They were settling for janking up any 3pter they could get.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby iSASO » January 29th, 2012, 4:35 pm

And that's exactly why I stated earlier that WSU needs better talent in order to win these games. Better talent/smarter talent...we'll see if Marshall's best-ever recruiting class has that combination.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby beatingrillz » January 29th, 2012, 6:01 pm

Maybe it's just me, but it seems anytime someone pushes the shocks they fall apart. Marshall's record in close games has to be atrocious, he has no grit, no guts.
beatingrillz
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Ace Dad » January 29th, 2012, 6:07 pm

And that's exactly why I stated earlier that WSU needs better talent in order to win these games. Better talent/smarter talent...we'll see if Marshall's best-ever recruiting class has that combination.

Understand. I have always, whether rightly or wrongly, stereotyped WSU guards as talented and athletic, but not basketball smart in the last 5 minutes of a game. That said: WSU wins.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems anytime someone pushes the shocks they fall apart. Marshall's record in close games has to be atrocious, he has no grit, no guts.

Have you studied Coach Marshall's record at both Winthrop and WSU in terms of games won and loss that were 5 points or less, or are you making a generic comment based on what you have observed? How can Marshall be so successful and lack "grit and guts?" How do you measure "grit and guts?"
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Dad » January 29th, 2012, 6:12 pm

beatingrillz wrote:Maybe it's just me, but it seems anytime someone pushes the shocks they fall apart. Marshall's record in close games has to be atrocious, he has no grit, no guts.

G Marshall, WSU
Close Record: 58-51 (0.532)
Overtime Record: 15-9 (0.625)
=========================
Roy Williams
Close: 87-70 (0.554)
Overtime: 16-14 (0.533)
==========================
Bill Self
Close: 74-58 (0.561)
Overtime: 17-10 (0.63)
===========================
John Wooden
Close 74-58 (0.561):
Overtime: 17-10 (0.63)
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » January 29th, 2012, 6:21 pm

Marshall is a good coach, and has always been a winner. But there is no arguing the fact that his WSU teams have lost several "big" games. It seem that there has been several occasions where you think that this is the time that WSU finally turns the corner and goes big-time, and then they fall short, or blow a big opportunity. Just my opinion.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Dad » January 29th, 2012, 6:27 pm

valleychamp wrote:Marshall is a good coach, and has always been a winner. But there is no arguing the fact that his WSU teams have lost several "big" games. It seem that there has been several occasions where you think that this is the time that WSU finally turns the corner and goes big-time, and then they fall short, or blow a big opportunity. Just my opinion.

And............................the Shockers have won big games. The Shockers have won games on the road. The Shockers have beat teams they are not supposed to beat. The Shockers have a winning program and winning team.

We have a tendency, and I am guilty, of stereotyping teams.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby beatingrillz » January 29th, 2012, 6:30 pm

Ace Dad wrote:

Understand. I have always, whether rightly or wrongly, stereotyped WSU guards as talented and athletic, but not basketball smart in the last 5 minutes of a game. That said: WSU wins.

Have you studied Coach Marshall's record at both Winthrop and WSU in terms of games won and loss that were 5 points or less, or are you making a generic comment based on what you have observed? How can Marshall be so successful and lack "grit and guts?" How do you measure "grit and guts?"

That was a genralization, obviously the stats do not back up what i am saying. it just seems that WSU either blows somebody out or loses a close game. I have no doubt that Marshall is a good coach, it just seemed to me that his teams have faltered late in games. Of course none of this will matter next year when he is coaching a bad SEC team.
beatingrillz
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby valleychamp » January 29th, 2012, 6:34 pm

Ace Dad wrote:
valleychamp wrote:Marshall is a good coach, and has always been a winner. But there is no arguing the fact that his WSU teams have lost several "big" games. It seem that there has been several occasions where you think that this is the time that WSU finally turns the corner and goes big-time, and then they fall short, or blow a big opportunity. Just my opinion.

And............................the Shockers have won big games. The Shockers have won games on the road. The Shockers have beat teams they are not supposed to beat. The Shockers have a winning program and winning team.

We have a tendency, and I am guilty, of stereotyping teams.

Right, I agree. But he lacks a signature moment, or signature team IMO. No conference titles, and no NCAA appearances at WSU yet, and they have had several opportunities to do those things, with teams that arguably should have done so. Maybe this is the year that he breaks through.

I will say that their loss to Drake last night was not one of those "let down" games for them though. That was just a tough conference game on the road. Everybody loses those games.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Dad » January 29th, 2012, 6:35 pm

beatingrillz wrote:
Ace Dad wrote:

That was a genralization, obviously the stats do not back up what i am saying. it just seems that WSU either blows somebody out or loses a close game. I have no doubt that Marshall is a good coach, it just seemed to me that his teams have faltered late in games. Of course none of this will matter next year when he is coaching a bad SEC team.

Again, a few years ago it seemed like WSU lost some games that their fans thought they should have won. Typically, it seemed as if their guards or players were not making smart basketball decisions in the most critical moments toward the end of the game. We, the fans, latched onto this and every time the Shockers lose a close game or game they are supposed to win, we waggle our fingers at the coach. Well, all I am saying is flip the coin: the Shockers have won some close games on the road and they have dominated at their house. Even good teams are going to lose some games. North Carolina beat Evansville by 50 points and two weeks later the Tar Heels go on the road and lose by 39. We read too much into one game.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball