sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Re: Wichita @ Drake 1/28 8PM

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby goodolemvc » January 29th, 2012, 1:56 pm

How many wins will Drake need to get the 3rd seed? My guess is 11.

GREAT WIN for DRAKE THOUGH!
goodolemvc
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby MoValley John » January 29th, 2012, 1:59 pm

Drakey wrote:The Bulldogs finally beat a team that was "better" than them. That is the best defense the Bulldogs have playerd this year.

Troll Alert!!!
The game came down to coaching. Mark Phelps is a keeper!!!!
Show him the money!!!!
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Dad » January 29th, 2012, 2:01 pm

MoValley John wrote:
Drakey wrote:The Bulldogs finally beat a team that was "better" than them. That is the best defense the Bulldogs have playerd this year.

Troll Alert!!!
The game came down to coaching. Mark Phelps is a keeper!!!!
Show him the money!!!!

Phelps is better than the Bullpup fans give him credit. The announcers said that this is his first year with more upperclassmen then lower classmen.

Just sayin.............

Ace Dad
President of the All Coaches Are Good Society :Cheers:
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » January 29th, 2012, 2:15 pm

Congrats to Drake on a great game. I've been waiting for Woods to become the player I thought he could be, and damned if he didn't look the part last night.

Rice and Simons are as solid as anyone in the league. You don't need much more than 2 stars to be successful. I could be a fan of Drake, just like CU, due to the way they play and the talent they have...fun to watch.

I've touted CU as champs since last year, and last night is a great example why. The Jays are smarter and play better as a team. I'm not saying WSU is dumb or selfish, they just aren't on the same level. Creighton wouldn't shoot 3s like WSU does when they aren't falling. CU would find ways to get Stutz the ball when he's scoring at a point a minute plus. Did Drake add a transfer at the 2nd media timeout to combat the Shocks inside game?

Personally I worry about the Shocks. They have plenty of talent, and everything else, to not only get to the dance, but to win multiple games, against anyone. But something isn't right about this team. I thought maybe they had worked through it, but looking back and you can easily see this was coming, and the fact is, CU is the best team in this league, and WSU is the 2nd best, and it's very clear cut on both ends.

Drake played great, WSU could have and probably should have won, but they have to be smarter, and a fair shake from the officials wouldn't have hurt, but they still controlled their own destiny.

The Jays lead will probably be 2 full games after Wednesday. :(
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DUBulldog » January 29th, 2012, 2:24 pm

Ace Dad wrote:Phelps is better than the Bullpup fans give him credit. The announcers said that this is his first year with more upperclassmen then lower classmen.

Just sayin............

And, the Bulldogs still start no seniors.

This might sound strange, but the Bulldogs return 6 starters next year (all 5 from this year + Van Deest who was a 2 year starter before getting injured over the summer). The future looks bright for the Bulldogs, especially if another player can make the kind of leap that Simons made from last season to this season.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 2livewu » January 29th, 2012, 2:34 pm

The Valley is still going to be pretty good next year. CU will repeat, but Drake and ISU could both be really good (I think ISU has more upside but that's just me) and you know UE and UNI will be tough outs, even if this fan isn't sold on their upside (and I am not). SIU and BU are seriously rebuilding, SIU with probably a new coach, the Trees are going to be down and a 2nd straight playin game is likely. MSU and WSU will probably battle to stay out of the Thursday game. WSU's fate will be completely based upon how quickly they can develop their talented class.....I am praying it only takes 1 season, but that's optimistic.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DUBulldog » January 29th, 2012, 2:36 pm

2livewu wrote:Congrats to Drake on a great game. I've been waiting for Woods to become the player I thought he could be, and damned if he didn't look the part last night.

Kraidon was good last night. He's been maddeningly inconsistent. He's had double doubles, and he's had games with 0 points and 2 or less rebounds. Now that his college career is winding down, I hope he'll play with more urgency, and be productive every game.

2livewu wrote:Rice and Simons are as solid as anyone in the league. You don't need much more than 2 stars to be successful. I could be a fan of Drake, just like CU, due to the way they play and the talent they have...fun to watch.

Bulldog fans have been waiting for a 3rd option behind Rice and Simons, and it appears that Kurt Alexander is becoming that guy. Like a lot of juco players, it's taken him until midway through his second season to finally adjust to D1 ball.

Simons has been a revelation this year. His freshman season, he started out great, and really faded badly after about the 5th or 6th game of the year. His sophomore season, he had 3-4 really good games, another handful of good games, and the rest he was pretty much invisible. This year, he has been consistently good the entire season.

Rice couldn't hit the broad side of a barn last night.....5-23 from the field. But, as DM Register reporter Mark Emmert said in his blog, he probably had the best night ever for a player who went 5-23....19 points, 14 rebounds, 8 assists, 4 steals and 2 blocks. If he can ever develop a consistent outside shot, he will be virtually unstoppable.

2livewu wrote:I've touted CU as champs since last year, and last night is a great example why. The Jays are smarter and play better as a team. I'm not saying WSU is dumb or selfish, they just aren't on the same level. Creighton wouldn't shoot 3s like WSU does when they aren't falling. CU would find ways to get Stutz the ball when he's scoring at a point a minute plus.

I'm not sure that WSU isn't more talented than Creighton. I thought Drake played better overall against WSU than they did against Creighton. If the 'dogs hadn't been stone cold from 3 against CU (4-18), they very well might have won that game, too.

2livewu wrote: Did Drake add a transfer at the 2nd media timeout to combat the Shocks inside game?

LOL....the switch from Jordan Clarke to Kraidon Woods on Stutz made a lot of difference.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 29th, 2012, 2:41 pm

pafan wrote:It seemed that Drake was less fatigued in the 2nd and 3rd OT periods than WSU.

How is this possible when DU played only 8? We know WSU can go deep to the bench.

I looked at the Box score and found that WSU played just 9. Two of them, Cotton and Oripke, played only token minutes (3 and 2, respectively). So they really played 7 in a 55 minute game.

:huh:

I said this after CU's game with Drake, but I don't know that I've ever seen anyone with more energy than Simons. In the second half against CU, Drake ran the BYU/JImmer Fredette offense from last year - run the shooter around in circles and let him try to lose his defender on screens, then pass him the ball and let him shoot. From what it sounds link, Drake did a lot of the same thing against WSU.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » January 29th, 2012, 2:49 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
pafan wrote:It seemed that Drake was less fatigued in the 2nd and 3rd OT periods than WSU.

How is this possible when DU played only 8? We know WSU can go deep to the bench.

I looked at the Box score and found that WSU played just 9. Two of them, Cotton and Oripke, played only token minutes (3 and 2, respectively). So they really played 7 in a 55 minute game.

:huh:

I said this after CU's game with Drake, but I don't know that I've ever seen anyone with more energy than Simons. In the second half against CU, Drake ran the BYU/JImmer Fredette offense from last year - run the shooter around in circles and let him try to lose his defender on screens, then pass him the ball and let him shoot. From what it sounds link, Drake did a lot of the same thing against WSU.

Yep, Drake did that again against WSU.....and Simons was completely gassed at the end. He only scored 2 points in the three overtimes, on two free throws. But, his energy is amazing.

I'm amazed that the Bulldogs, using only 8 players, could outlast a much deeper WSU team in 3 OT.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball