The Big Dance

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

The Big Dance

Postby NeutralObserver » January 29th, 2012, 2:48 am

It makes me sick to read about it but it really is life in a BCS conference when your goals can be set so low and your million dollar plus coaches can get away with mediocrity season after season except for those very few who are EXPECTED to win national championships every year. This is an excerpt from an article in the upcoming Sunday edition of the Indianapolis Star ........."I thought the win over Ohio State put Indiana into the tournament," said Jeff Goodman, national college basketball writer for CBSSports.com. "If Indiana can get eight Big Ten wins and go 8-10 in conference, I think they're a lock. And at this point I don't see any way they get less than eight conference wins."

Until the powers at be in the NCAA initiate a ruling similar to a BCS football team having to go at least .500 (what a joke) to play in a bowl game, requiring a team to be AT LEAST .500 IN LEAGUE PLAY, they have no creditability or accountability to anyone? Are there not enough non-BCS voters in the NCAA to eliminate this disparity between the "haves" and the "have nots" ?

:Beer:
NeutralObserver
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

The Big Dance

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: The Big Dance

Postby iSASO » January 29th, 2012, 6:48 am

CBS runs the NCAA now, and which team has more eyeballs attached to it, Indiana or Iona?
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » January 29th, 2012, 7:55 am

Indiana deserves to be in the tournament. They went undefeated in the non conference schedule and more importantly they own wins over both Kentucky and Ohio State. Those two teams are likely one seeds and nobody in the country that I can think of has a pair of wins like that. The Big Ten by far is the top RPI conference in the country. And if you want to compare IU to the Valley look what happened when they played a very solid Evansville ballclub, they won by 21 in E'ville. And this is a team that absolutely cannot win a game on the road in the Big Ten. For reference WSU won by one there.

I think I understand the point that you are making but I don't think it'll happen when any sort of conference finish rule wouldn't take into account the nonconference schedule nor wins accumulated in the conference tournament.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jet915 » January 29th, 2012, 8:46 am

I have no problem with Indiana, they deserve to be in (even though they can't win a meaningful road game). It's when teams like Arizona, Stanford or Cal get at-large mention. Like yesterday when the gameday crew said Arizona was a tournament team (that was before they lost to Washington though). I didn't know just playing good competition non-conference but not winning was tourney worthy....
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby getreal4 » January 29th, 2012, 10:25 am

As of today Big Ten would get 8 teams in the dance. Sucks to be a midmajor. Money & TV sets
getreal4
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby getreal4 » January 29th, 2012, 10:25 am

Jet915 wrote:I have no problem with Indiana, they deserve to be in (even though they can't win a meaningful road game). It's when teams like Arizona, Stanford or Cal get at-large mention. Like yesterday when the gameday crew said Arizona was a tournament team (that was before they lost to Washington though). I didn't know just playing good competition non-conference but not winning was tourney worthy....

:+1:

And now add Iowa St
getreal4
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby GarH » January 30th, 2012, 12:25 am

I've lived in Tucson for almost 40 years. My two favorite teams are Arizona and the Shockers. About the only chance Arizona has of getting to the Dance this year is winning the conference tournament. I've followed the PAC for 40 years and this is by far the worst the PAC has been in those 40 years. Next year Arizona will be a very good team, but this year is a transition year for them.
GarH
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Jet915 » January 30th, 2012, 7:06 am

Just to pour on the Pac-12 a little more, I was watching the Cal/Stanford game and they said Cal is a lock for an at-large and Stanford was a bubble team. Cal's best non-conference wins are Denver and Weber State! They got destroyed by 39 to Missouri....
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball