Who do you want to see in STL?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Who do you want to see in STL?

Postby Snaggletooth » February 1st, 2012, 5:46 pm

Comin' Up Aces wrote:It's the tone of the post that comes across as arrogant.

There is no "tone" on a message board - if there is any it is in your head.

Not looking to pick any fights though so I'll just drop it at that

sure you are, or you wouldn't have posted.

Bradley and SIU suck - ask their fans.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » February 1st, 2012, 7:30 pm

I don't care who we see as long as it isn't on Thursday...
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby WuShockNation » February 1st, 2012, 11:06 pm

I just wanna see a CU/WSU conference final. That place would be packed to the rafters for that game would make for one of the better atmosphere for the conference final.
WuShockNation
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby sixth ace » February 1st, 2012, 11:48 pm

Anybody but Evansville :huh:
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby NeutralObserver » February 2nd, 2012, 9:03 am

WuShockNation wrote:I just wanna see a CU/WSU conference final. That place would be packed to the rafters for that game would make for one of the better atmosphere for the conference final.

Best for the league if this doesn't happen. And even better if one of them is in the final, they lose. Sad but true in the life of a mid-major league. Both teams should get in the dance anyway.
NeutralObserver
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MoValley John » February 2nd, 2012, 9:25 am

NeutralObserver wrote:
WuShockNation wrote:I just wanna see a CU/WSU conference final. That place would be packed to the rafters for that game would make for one of the better atmosphere for the conference final.

Best for the league if this doesn't happen. And even better if one of them is in the final, they lose. Sad but true in the life of a mid-major league. Both teams should get in the dance anyway.

I don't know if I agree with this as the Valley stands today. In March, you may be correct, but right now, should Wichita State lose in the tournament, they are probably on the bubble, and depending on what else happens, they could find themselves on the wrong side of the bubble. Creighton, barring a collapse, is in. With that, an upset win in the tournament could bump Wichita State, giving the Valley the same number of invites, two. And the downfall is that Wichita State probably has a much better chance of advancing than anyone else in the league, except for maybe Creighton. So as it stands now, I believe "Best for the Valley" would be a Creighton Wichita State matchup, where both teams get good seeds and higher probabilities of advancing.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby NeutralObserver » February 2nd, 2012, 11:54 am

MoValley John wrote:
NeutralObserver wrote:

I don't know if I agree with this as the Valley stands today. In March, you may be correct, but right now, should Wichita State lose in the tournament, they are probably on the bubble, and depending on what else happens, they could find themselves on the wrong side of the bubble. Creighton, barring a collapse, is in. With that, an upset win in the tournament could bump Wichita State, giving the Valley the same number of invites, two. And the downfall is that Wichita State probably has a much better chance of advancing than anyone else in the league, except for maybe Creighton. So as it stands now, I believe "Best for the Valley" would be a Creighton Wichita State matchup, where both teams get good seeds and higher probabilities of advancing.

I see your point as the NCAA payment shares for dance participation increases round by round as a team advances. That would be the key though as either Creighton and/or Wichita would need to get by their first game to offset a 3rd team's participation share.
NeutralObserver
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Snaggletooth » February 2nd, 2012, 12:04 pm

I don't see a path for the MVC getting 3 teams since UNI has tanked and lost 4 of their last 6. Of coure if they finish up conference season with 6-1 or 7-0 record then I would rethink that position since their RPI would mid-30 to low-40's.

If some other team wins in STL other than CU/WSU, then the team who finished 2nd in the league will be punished by the selection committee and will be NIT bound (unless the above forementioned happens).
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » February 2nd, 2012, 1:25 pm

NeutralObserver wrote:
MoValley John wrote:

I see your point as the NCAA payment shares for dance participation increases round by round as a team advances. That would be the key though as either Creighton and/or Wichita would need to get by their first game to offset a 3rd team's participation share.

The odds of going deeper into the tournament increase with the better the seed. As of now, I don't see any way the Valley gets three teams in anyway, so it is Creighton and whomever else. With that, the best scenario is Creighton winning out and Wichita State beating Creighton in the MVC finals. With that, you have two teams in, both with decent seeds and a good opportunity to do some damage in the tournament.

Looking the other way, should Creighton lose in the semis and Wichita State lose in the finals, you still might get three teams in, but Creighton drops from a 3-4 seed to a 7-9, that is a horrible spot. Wichita State drops to around an 11 seed and the tournament champion gets the play in round. And that is hoping that the damage done doesn't exclude a deserving Shocker squad. This is not ideal!

At the beginning of conference play, I was sure that the Valley would get three in, unfortunately, no other team stepped up, and as of now, I don't see any other deserving teams. To sneak one of the other remaining eight teams in now would be great for that particular team, but it would do no favors to the Valley as a whole.

Last year, Indiana State played the role of spoiler in the tourney. I think MSU still should have gotten in, but the loss simply knocked a deserving Bears team out. Indiana State went on to get beaten by the worst margin of any Valley auto qualifier in the last several years. All they did was reaffirm that the Valley was "midmajor" and couldn't compete with he big boys. It was great for Sycamore fans, but really did the Valley, as a whole, no favors.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Khan4Cats » February 2nd, 2012, 1:32 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:I don't see a path for the MVC getting 3 teams since UNI has tanked and lost 4 of their last 6. Of coure if they finish up conference season with 6-1 or 7-0 record then I would rethink that position since their RPI would mid-30 to low-40's.

If some other team wins in STL other than CU/WSU, then the team who finished 2nd in the league will be punished by the selection committee and will be NIT bound (unless the above forementioned happens).

I don't think UNI can play itself back on to the bubble, even with a winning streak to St. Louis. Iowa State and Colorado State are looking like good wins, but the bad losses will far outweigh anything they can pick up until then (including a potential home win over Creighton and road win at WSU). Life as a mid-major doesn't leave room for a slip at Bradley or double digit losses at home.

I do think WSU has a chance to solidify an at-large. It may take a convincing BB win at Davidson (and I mean a complete rout) and possibly, but not necessarily, a win at CU. Any stumbles to lower half Valley teams will not be treated well, so they also need to hope Drake finishes decent.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball