Who do you want to see in STL?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Who do you want to see in STL?

Postby Aces1982 » February 2nd, 2012, 1:35 pm

So if I am a fan of another team, are you saying I should be cheering for what is "best for the Valley" instead of what is best for my team?
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby shocktheheart » February 2nd, 2012, 1:37 pm

Khan4Cats wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:I don't see a path for the MVC getting 3 teams since UNI has tanked and lost 4 of their last 6. Of coure if they finish up conference season with 6-1 or 7-0 record then I would rethink that position since their RPI would mid-30 to low-40's.

If some other team wins in STL other than CU/WSU, then the team who finished 2nd in the league will be punished by the selection committee and will be NIT bound (unless the above forementioned happens).

I don't think UNI can play itself back on to the bubble, even with a winning streak to St. Louis. Iowa State and Colorado State are looking like good wins, but the bad losses will far outweigh anything they can pick up until then (including a potential home win over Creighton and road win at WSU). Life as a mid-major doesn't leave room for a slip at Bradley or double digit losses at home.

I do think WSU has a chance to solidify an at-large. It may take a convincing BB win at Davidson (and I mean a complete rout) and possibly, but not necessarily, a win at CU. Any stumbles to lower half Valley teams will not be treated well, so they also need to hope Drake finishes decent.

Have you seen the bubble this year? Very weak...I think WSU is in even with losses at CU and Davidson.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » February 2nd, 2012, 1:39 pm

Aces1982 wrote:So if I am a fan of another team, are you saying I should be cheering for what is "best for the Valley" instead of what is best for my team?

Absolutely not!!!! I am responding in a neutral and objective relationship to how the Valley sits right now and how wins and losses can hurt the Valley come March Madness. As a fan of the Aces, I would expect you to want to win it all. But at the same time, not everyone is a fan of the Aces, most of the selection committee is not made up of Aces fans, and it is likely that most have no interest in doing the Valley any favors. Therefore, what is best for the valley is for Creighton and Wichita State to win out. What is best for each fanbase is for their team to win out.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Khan4Cats » February 2nd, 2012, 1:50 pm

shocktheheart wrote:
Khan4Cats wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:I don't see a path for the MVC getting 3 teams since UNI has tanked and lost 4 of their last 6. Of coure if they finish up conference season with 6-1 or 7-0 record then I would rethink that position since their RPI would mid-30 to low-40's.

If some other team wins in STL other than CU/WSU, then the team who finished 2nd in the league will be punished by the selection committee and will be NIT bound (unless the above forementioned happens).

I don't think UNI can play itself back on to the bubble, even with a winning streak to St. Louis. Iowa State and Colorado State are looking like good wins, but the bad losses will far outweigh anything they can pick up until then (including a potential home win over Creighton and road win at WSU). Life as a mid-major doesn't leave room for a slip at Bradley or double digit losses at home.

I do think WSU has a chance to solidify an at-large. It may take a convincing BB win at Davidson (and I mean a complete rout) and possibly, but not necessarily, a win at CU. Any stumbles to lower half Valley teams will not be treated well, so they also need to hope Drake finishes decent.

Have you seen the bubble this year? Very weak...I think WSU is in even with losses at CU and Davidson.

I don't know about a loss at Davidson. I agree with those that see that match-up as a screw job. I agree that they don't have to win at Creighton. The big thing is that they can't falter down the stretch with 4 of 6 games at home. A couple of home losses will not sit well. I think a pummeling of Davidson might be enough to show that they deserve a chance (along with their previous pounding of UNLV). they don't have the bad losses that a UNI or MSU would have to overcome for sure, I just don't have a whole lot of faith in the committee to give any breaks to mid-majors.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » February 2nd, 2012, 1:55 pm

If some other team wins in STL other than CU/WSU, then the team who finished 2nd in the league will be punished by the selection committee and will be NIT bound (unless the above forementioned happens).[/quote]

I do think WSU has a chance to solidify an at-large. It may take a convincing BB win at Davidson (and I mean a complete rout) and possibly, but not necessarily, a win at CU. Any stumbles to lower half Valley teams will not be treated well, so they also need to hope Drake finishes decent.[/quote]

Have you seen the bubble this year? Very weak...I think WSU is in even with losses at CU and Davidson.[/quote]

I don't know about a loss at Davidson. I agree with those that see that match-up as a screw job. I agree that they don't have to win at Creighton. The big thing is that they can't falter down the stretch with 4 of 6 games at home. A couple of home losses will not sit well. I think a pummeling of Davidson might be enough to show that they deserve a chance (along with their previous pounding of UNLV). they don't have the bad losses that a UNI or MSU would have to overcome for sure, I just don't have a whole lot of faith in the committee to give any breaks to mid-majors.[/quote]

The only loss Davidson has at home is to Vandy...don't think that would be a bad loss as well. WSU has no losses outside the RPI top 100 unless Drake fell out last night. No bad losses and a great win against UNLV and they still would be in, in my opinion. I would rather not have it come down to that so I don't have to worry on selection Sunday though.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » February 2nd, 2012, 1:58 pm

WSU is solidly in the tournament, and they do not need to win at CU or Davidson as it stands right now. But that doesn't mean they wont choke away several games between now and the end of the season, like they did last year.

Beat the teams that they should easily beat, and they are in without question.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » February 2nd, 2012, 2:02 pm

valleychamp wrote:WSU is solidly in the tournament, and they do not need to win at CU or Davidson as it stands right now. But that doesn't mean they wont choke away several games between now and the end of the season, like they did last year.

Beat the teams that they should easily beat, and they are in without question.

Totally agree, asked Lunardi on his chat what WSU and he said they are solidly in as of now. He referenced the bubble as being weak and the Drake loss didn't hurt at all.
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby LMS » February 2nd, 2012, 2:24 pm

I suppose avoiding Missouri State and Wichita St would be best for CU. If we got the 1 seed, it'd be great for them to be 2&3 or 2&6. I think we match up well with Drake and Indiana State.
LMS
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » February 2nd, 2012, 6:52 pm

shocktheheart wrote:
Khan4Cats wrote:

If the bubble is weak, then that means the selection committee will take another marginal BCS team because they pulled one big win out of their but (like Iowa State). :roll:
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby NeutralObserver » February 2nd, 2012, 11:03 pm

Creighton is in period period period. Wichita is in unless they drop two or three conference games in this last half of the season. If Wichita doesn't perform as expected then a championship game appearance in St.Louis will be needed to punch the ticket. If it comes to that unfortunately St.Louis normally is not a good time for Shocker fans and it will probably be N.I.T. again. In that case a 3rd team underdog winning their way to the tournament will be a good thing. Aces, Bears, Panthers, Drake, Sycamores again ??????????????? Would not count any of them out at the moment.
NeutralObserver
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball