Doug Elgin, Tim Jankovich on Bluejay Banter

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Doug Elgin, Tim Jankovich on Bluejay Banter

Postby dannyobyrne » January 30th, 2012, 9:46 pm

Welp, here's the podcast. We're not exactly Piers Morgan (for better or worse), but I thought we pushed him a little bit. His answers were disappointing and, frankly, wrong. Appreciate him doing the interview, though, considering he had to know Jays fans would be pissed.

Jank was hilarious, as always. Did ask him one question about the schedule, but we pushed him on it last time he was on before the season started. If interested, Josh Jones was fantastic. Great kid.

Check it out on Facebook.
Or, you can visit our podcast web page.
It will also be on iTunes within the hour.
facebook.com/BluejayBanter
twitter.com/bluejaybanter
dannyobyrne
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MVCfans » January 30th, 2012, 9:50 pm

dannyobyrne wrote:Welp, here's the podcast. We're not exactly Piers Morgan (for better or worse), but I thought we pushed him a little bit. His answers were disappointing and, frankly, wrong. Appreciate him doing the interview, though, considering he had to know Jays fans would be pissed.

Jank was hilarious, as always. Did ask him one question about the schedule, but we pushed him on it last time he was on before the season started. If interested, Josh Jones was fantastic. Great kid.

Doug Elgin thinks it would be a close vote if the schools/coaches had to vote on whether to participate in Bracket Buster? Does anyone else think he maybe should have asked before he signed us up for 4 more years of this, particularly if he knows there are dissenters.

I'm not making any predictions, but if you're looking for a reason why coaches sometime leave good non-BCS jobs, this would qualify as a good example.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Jet915 » January 30th, 2012, 10:00 pm

dannyobyrne wrote:Welp, here's the podcast. We're not exactly Piers Morgan (for better or worse), but I thought we pushed him a little bit. His answers were disappointing and, frankly, wrong. Appreciate him doing the interview, though, considering he had to know Jays fans would be pissed.

Haha, Elgin says he lobbied signficantly with ESPN to get SMC vs. Creighton and Wichita vs. Murray State. Apparently, ESPN doesn't give a crap about what Elgin has to say.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocker3 » January 30th, 2012, 10:27 pm

MVCfans wrote:

Doug Elgin thinks it would be a close vote if the schools/coaches had to vote on whether to participate in Bracket Buster? Does anyone else think he maybe should have asked before he signed us up for 4 more years of this, particularly if he knows there are dissenters.

I'm not making any predictions, but if you're looking for a reason why coaches sometime leave good non-BCS jobs, this would qualify as a good example.

I thought the same thing when I heard it. How can you lock all 10 teams into an event for FOUR YEARS that you know about half of them oppose?

That statement said a lot to me.
http://www.tomsawyer2wayradios.com
shocker3
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 30th, 2012, 10:35 pm

shocker3 wrote:
MVCfans wrote:

I thought the same thing when I heard it. How can you lock all 10 teams into an event for FOUR YEARS that you know about half of them oppose?

That statement said a lot to me.

I'm pretty sure he was saying that if we want any TV contract at all with ESPN, we have to do bracketbusters. In other words, not bracketbusters, no games on ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPNU. That sort of takes the vote off of the table in a way as we can't really give up having any games on ESPN.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby pafan » January 30th, 2012, 10:43 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:That sort of takes the vote off of the table in a way as we can't really give up having any games on ESPN.

What do you mean? Its not like ESPN has a de-facto monopoly for nationally broadcasting sports on cable.

*goes to check channel lineup*
ESPN
ESPNEWS
ESPN2
FSN Midwest
Golf
Speed
BTN

Yup, I guess I stand corrected.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby BirdmanBB » January 30th, 2012, 10:57 pm

Elgin needs to get some games on the new NBC Sports Network (used to be versus).
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » January 31st, 2012, 11:34 am

MVCfans wrote:

I don't think Elgin even believes what he is saying anymore on this but he has to keep the same story about being on TV and all of the benefits of that because there really aren't other advantages to participating.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball