Fire Elgin!

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Fire Elgin!

Postby thedude15 » January 31st, 2012, 7:57 am

the bb are what they are.

A bunch of teams interrupt conference play to get

- a handful of good tv games
- a team or two gets a chance to get "that" win which puts them over the top for an at large bid (ie VCU last year)
- a handful of teams are put in a bad spot. A loss really hurts their at large chances (WSU this year) but a win really does not help much
- A TON of shitty games (ie some of the tv games and basically all of the non-tv games)
-makes OOC scheduling a bit easier cause one game is filled. Some times this is good sometimes it is bad.

They are not screwing over the MVC they are screwing everybody. Guess what St Marys Murray was the most attractive game for ESPN. When that happen both CU and WSU got put in bad spots. But guess what IF WSU did not loss to Drake I am pretty sure the games would have been WSU @ Murray, St Marys @ CU. In other words the MVC would have gotten a great draw.
thedude15
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Ali » January 31st, 2012, 8:26 am

He doesn't need to be fired. Just get us out of Busters and we're all good Doug.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ali » January 31st, 2012, 8:31 am

And just to point out the obvious being on TV doesn't have the same impact as it did 10 years ago. Every game is on TV and the web anymore. Elgin's argument doesn't hold water and I wish he'd stop relying on TV as the reason why we should stay in this.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 31st, 2012, 8:48 am

thedude15 wrote:the bb are what they are.

- a team or two gets a chance to get "that" win which puts them over the top for an at large bid (ie VCU last year)
- a handful of teams are put in a bad spot. A loss really hurts their at large chances (WSU this year) but a win really does not help much
- A TON of shitty games (ie some of the tv games and basically all of the non-tv games)
-makes OOC scheduling a bit easier cause one game is filled. Some times this is good sometimes it is bad.

They are not screwing over the MVC they are screwing everybody. Guess what St Marys Murray was the most attractive game for ESPN. When that happen both CU and WSU got put in bad spots. But guess what IF WSU did not loss to Drake I am pretty sure the games would have been WSU @ Murray, St Marys @ CU. In other words the MVC would have gotten a great draw.

Dude, take a break and go smoke another bowl.

If I were a member of the Great West conference, I'd like the bracketbusters event too. For the MVC however, this makes at least the fifth year in a row it is meaningless at best and harmful at worst. Creighton isn't going to be improving their seed any by beating Cal St - Long Beach. WSU could actually hurt their chances at making the tournament by losing.

Further, after checking your schedule, it doesn't like you had to interrupt anything to play bracketbusters. YOU HAVE A WHOLE WEEK OFF BETWEEN YOUR LAST GAME BEFORE BRACKETBUSTERS AND THE EVENT. We, on the other hand, have to screw up our league schedule and play 3 games in 6 days earlier in the season just to get this rinky-dink event in.

The fact of the matter is that our conference is much closer to conferences like A10, CUSA and the MWC (which all refuse to participate in this stupid thing) than conferences like the Great West, OVC, Summit, Southland, and MAC.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby thedude15 » January 31st, 2012, 9:23 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
thedude15 wrote:the bb are what they are.

Dude, take a break and go smoke another bowl.

If I were a member of the Great West conference, I'd like the bracketbusters event too. For the MVC however, this makes at least the fifth year in a row it is meaningless at best and harmful at worst. Creighton isn't going to be improving their seed any by beating Cal St - Long Beach. WSU could actually hurt their chances at making the tournament by losing.

Further, after checking your schedule, it doesn't like you had to interrupt anything to play bracketbusters. YOU HAVE A WHOLE WEEK OFF BETWEEN YOUR LAST GAME BEFORE BRACKETBUSTERS AND THE EVENT. We, on the other hand, have to screw up our league schedule and play 3 games in 6 days earlier in the season just to get this rinky-dink event in.

The fact of the matter is that our conference is much closer to conferences like A10, CUSA and the MWC (which all refuse to participate in this stupid thing) than conferences like the Great West, OVC, Summit, Southland, and MAC.

a.) wtf is the great west
b.) the big west, just like ALL conferences that play in the BB, had to chance to WHOLE conference schedule to accommodate the BB games.
c.) the more top 50 wins the better for seeding purposes. LBSU is a top 50 team and they WOULD improve CU seed to a degree/
d.) never said the MVC should be in the BB just said EVERYONE (not just the MVC) gets screwed.

To me the solution is to either get rid of the bb OR get another high mid major (ie A10, MW, CUSA, MVC) to join. I know the A-10 would never join and I doubt the CUSA or MW would join so basically after 4 years (length of time MVC is committed to BB) MVC should leave and the event should end.
thedude15
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby AndShock » January 31st, 2012, 9:44 am

MoValley John wrote:Oh, and anyone that thinks Beebee would help this league is nuts. Yes, Texas runs the Big 12, but only because Beebee allowed it to happen.

Does this mean he would let Creighton and Wichita State run the MVC? Maybe even get the conference tournament in Kansas City?

Time to start the Hire Beebe! thread.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 31st, 2012, 12:02 pm

thedude15 wrote:a.) wtf is the great west

Thanks for proving my point. Great West, Big West, whatever! Nobody's ever heard of the BIg West!!!!

After looking a the conference's RPIs., I should have known better than to call the conference "Great." One whole team has an RPI under 100 and there are only 3 teams with an RPI of 185 or better; the other six have RPIs over 200!

If all of that isn't bad enough, someone in your conference actually hired Jim Les after bradley finally was able to purge themselves from him.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby thedude15 » January 31st, 2012, 1:01 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
thedude15 wrote:a.) wtf is the great west

Thanks for proving my point. Great West, Big West, whatever! Nobody's ever heard of the BIg West!!!!

After looking a the conference's RPIs., I should have known better than to call the conference "Great." One whole team has an RPI under 100 and there are only 3 teams with an RPI of 185 or better; the other six have RPIs over 200!

If all of that isn't bad enough, someone in your conference actually hired Jim Les after bradley finally was able to purge themselves from him.

the "great west" is not a real conference it does not get an NCAAT auto bid, the BW does.

Last time I checked you are playing LBSU NOT THE BW. Your comment would be like saying this a few years ago "who the hell gives a crap about Gonzaga. Everyone else in the WCC has crappy RPIs and sucks so Gonzaga must also suck."

I will admit the BW is no MVC but it is gonna become a tad more respectable. Hawaii will be an upper half BW team and SDSU will be a top team. For a "mid" major a core of SDSU, Hawaii, UCSB, LBSU is not that bad.
thedude15
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby BirdmanBB » January 31st, 2012, 1:44 pm

If Hawaii is an upper half basketball team for your conference, then you are in big trouble. While the addition of SDSU is a good one, I have a feeling that their greatness will not last. Once Fisher is gone, that team will go back to the depths, especially since playing in that conference won't do them any favors for recruiting. No big name home games or Mtn. network anymore.

I suppose they could take their success an turn it into becoming the Gonzaga of your conference, but then again, where does that leave everyone else?
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball