Bears v. Shox, Wednesday 7pm CST

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Bears v. Shox, Wednesday 7pm CST

Postby MoValley John » February 2nd, 2012, 12:12 am

I have watched a lot of Valley ball this year. Not only have I attended every Creighton game, I have watched just about every other televised Valley game I possibly could. When two teams have played on ESPN3, I have flipped back and forth on both games and also watched the replays.

With all of that, I will say that there are very few players running their mouths, trash talking or doing anything that comes close to what Weems and Creekmore did last year. With regards to this game, I place an emphasis on Wichita State. Wichita State does very little posturing or posing.

As for Weems, he does very little as compared to last year. In fact, he only posed once during the creighton game in Omaha and was immediately reprimanded by Lusk.

With that, I go back to a point that I made before the season started, players emulate what the coach will allow. Martin allowed it, Lusk doesn't. Marshall doesn't either. This bickering smells of sour grapes on Missouri State's part and a little getting even for last year on Wichita State's part. I really don't have a big problem with this banter, but it is not what the powers that be believe this board should be. With that, it's time to move along.

I admit that I don't have the best restraint when it comes to participating in these threads, so I ask you please, please move on. If not, I have no choice but to post another classic picture of Jerry Lawler.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby LanceShock » February 2nd, 2012, 9:04 am

Interesting observations MoValley John, I had wondered if we Wichita State fans had been a little unfair to the players when Martin should have been reigning them in.

I'm not sure what Ragland's problem is this year. He seems to spend most of his time in Marshall's doghouse. I'm pretty confident that Marshall will not be happy about how Ragland interacted with Lusk. It does sound like Lusk did a good job of keeping things in perspective in his post game comments.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby TNMSUFAN » February 2nd, 2012, 9:28 am

LanceShock wrote:Interesting observations MoValley John, I had wondered if we Wichita State fans had been a little unfair to the players when Martin should have been reigning them in.

I'm not sure what Ragland's problem is this year. He seems to spend most of his time in Marshall's doghouse. I'm pretty confident that Marshall will not be happy about how Ragland interacted with Lusk. It does sound like Lusk did a good job of keeping things in perspective in his post game comments.

I didn't care for some of the antics from our team last year but Coach Martin didn't help matters with the way he acted...you will not see that anymore because Coach Lusk will not allow it at all. I really hate the fact that that has made a negative impression of Kyle because he is a great young man and has been an ambassador for this league both on and off the court. Great player on the court, has his degree, great interview, speaks highly of the Valley any chance he gets, never been in any trouble, etc.

Concerning the game the Shox have a very good team and played a great 2nd half. I thought we played pretty well for the most part and had 2 shots to tie it with around 1:30 to go and just didn't make them.
TNMSUFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MoValley John » February 2nd, 2012, 9:54 am

TNMSUFAN wrote:
I didn't care for some of the antics from our team last year but Coach Martin didn't help matters with the way he acted...you will not see that anymore because Coach Lusk will not allow it at all. I really hate the fact that that has made a negative impression of Kyle because he is a great young man and has been an ambassador for this league both on and off the court. Great player on the court, has his degree, great interview, speaks highly of the Valley any chance he gets, never been in any trouble, etc.

Concerning the game the Shox have a very good team and played a great 2nd half. I thought we played pretty well for the most part and had 2 shots to tie it with around 1:30 to go and just didn't make them.

You are right, Lusk does not allow it. Any people that think Kyle Weems is behaving anywhere near the way he did last year is fooling themselves. And he is a stand up guy, as are almost all Valley players. At the same time, based on how Creekmore and Weems behaved last year, Bears fans are in no position to say anything about other teams posturing and posing. It's unfortunate, but their behavior last year pretty much killed any credibility when a Bear fan tries to complain about any other team's players antics this year. that said, I am very impressed with how Lusk coaches and equally impressed with how he controls his players. He's a classy guy.

Keeping in mind that it was Casey Garrison for Prez that really brought up this tinderbox, I think we should consider the source, ignore it and just move on.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » February 2nd, 2012, 2:01 pm

John I was not the one to mention it initially. Regardless after taking several hours to reflect, I do regret going down that path last night.

I will try to keep things on subject more in the future though I do regret being singled out here.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » February 2nd, 2012, 7:50 pm

MoValley John wrote:I have watched a lot of Valley ball this year. Not only have I attended every Creighton game, I have watched just about every other televised Valley game I possibly could. When two teams have played on ESPN3, I have flipped back and forth on both games and also watched the replays.

With all of that, I will say that there are very few players running their mouths, trash talking or doing anything that comes close to what Weems and Creekmore did last year. With regards to this game, I place an emphasis on Wichita State. Wichita State does very little posturing or posing.

As for Weems, he does very little as compared to last year. In fact, he only posed once during the creighton game in Omaha and was immediately reprimanded by Lusk.

With that, I go back to a point that I made before the season started, players emulate what the coach will allow. Martin allowed it, Lusk doesn't. Marshall doesn't either. This bickering smells of sour grapes on Missouri State's part and a little getting even for last year on Wichita State's part. I really don't have a big problem with this banter, but it is not what the powers that be believe this board should be. With that, it's time to move along.

I admit that I don't have the best restraint when it comes to participating in these threads, so I ask you please, please move on. If not, I have no choice but to post another classic picture of Jerry Lawler.

Are you petitioning to be a moderator MVCJ? If so you sometimes do a pretty good job of it. I agree with some of what you say.

Just one point I'd like to make is that what is considered acceptable behavior by players is pretty subjective. There are some things that are obviously wrong like trying to hurt another player, racial slurs, etc. But beyond over the top things like that it's just not clearly defined what is acceptable. I for one think basketball would be pretty boring if there weren't players like Weems and Ragland that do a bit of trash talking and fist pumping. Can it be taken to far? Of course it can.

I and some Bears fans may have been guilty of looking at Weems and Creek's "antics" through rose colored glasses at times. But don't all fanbases do that? Good lord a CU fan recently claimed his team NEVER flopped!

From an MSU perspective I just don't think it's sour grapes. Grillz just made a simple statement that Ragland didn't exactly shake hands and walk off. Which he didn't do! But no one is arguing that WSU was not the better team last night (and this year). They won a pretty exciting well played game.

MSU fans just get tired of the same old ridiculous slurs (like punk and much worse) of one of the better players in our history. As stated prior he's a credit to our university and conference. And he's toned it down to a reasonable level this year.

Sorry rant over.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » February 2nd, 2012, 8:08 pm

Not trying to be a moderator at all. I simply grew up in a family that had many college and some pro athletes. I am the uncle of three kids that currently play in the Valley at three different schools. I like to joke about a lot of things, but I also am sensitive to the needs and challenges that the student athlete faces. I like to make fun of fans, taunt some fans and maybe even bait some fans, but I don't do too much baiting or badmouthing of the student athletes. That is also why I stated that Kyle Weems is a good guy. I firmly believe that the behavior exhibited by these kids has more to do with what a coach allows and less about the individual kid. Yeah, I will engage fans in a manner that will piss them off, but then again, if they're pissed, they usually take this stuff way too seriously.

The times I say anything about the kids, it's more directed at getting a rise out of the overzealous fans and less to do with the athlete. The GodinsertathletehereGod comments have nothing to do with the kid, but with the idiots that put much of their emotional well being in a ball going through a hoop.
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » February 2nd, 2012, 8:43 pm

I was just tongue in cheek with the moderator comment.

Changing the subject - This video was posted on BN. Probably only of interest to Bears and Shox fans. It's pretty well done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0VoAB4ILsY
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » February 3rd, 2012, 8:15 am

glm38 wrote:I was just tongue in cheek with the moderator comment.

Changing the subject - This video was posted on BN. Probably only of interest to Bears and Shox fans. It's pretty well done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0VoAB4ILsY

Good pictures and well done, but that may be the worst song I have ever heard.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bleach » February 3rd, 2012, 7:22 pm

I think what was seen in Creekmore and Weems last year was brought about by Zo urging passion and emotion from his team. These guys needed that to perform at their best. You can see Kyle playing his best this year when he seems to have more "tude". I never enjoyed it but felt they were still "inbounds" as their actions were mostly attitudal or expressional. I truly wish they had better ways to express themselves but it worked for them. I too wouldn't "like" them if I were from another fanbase but both individuals were and are stellar individuals anyone would be glad to have on their team and in their community (expressions aside).

As for the game, the Shox really played well and the Bears were right there. Wichita is so physical and athletic at every position. When they play smart and focused, they are pretty good.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball