Biggest Conference Rival

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Biggest Conference Rival

Postby BirdmanBB » January 31st, 2012, 6:55 pm

Bear4Life wrote:This may have been something that has been discussed on here at some point, but I was just interested to see which school everyone considers to be their biggest conference rival?

For Missouri State I have felt like for the past several years that Wichita State is our biggest rival. Historically we have also always felt a rivalry with SIU, and over the past few years with the closeness of our games against UNI that has started to develop into a nice rivalry...If I had to choose one for the Bears though it would have to be the hated Shox who come to town tomorrow night!

Obviously Bradley and Illinois State would arguably be the most known rivalry in the conference, and I'm sure I could pretty much nail most everyone else's, but just want to see what others think?

Who...those pansies down I-74? We don't have a rivalry with them. ;)

Our two games with them wouldn't really worry me all that much if it weren't for the rivalry. Always close games regardless of records.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby unipanther99 » January 31st, 2012, 10:57 pm

Drake. But it's kind of by default. In reality I have always wished Drake well when we aren't playing, so I don't think it's a bitter rivalry (for most, anyway). Obviously the well known situation with Creighton makes that game one that all Panther fans circle on the calendar. SIU has been a bit of a rival, but that's mostly carry-over from football.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby BirdmanBB » January 31st, 2012, 11:29 pm

On the opposite end of things, I think two fanbases that show a mutual respect for each other are ISUr and WSU.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Shockerfan13 » February 1st, 2012, 9:04 pm

BirdmanBB wrote:On the opposite end of things, I think two fanbases that show a mutual respect for each other are ISUr and WSU.

I agree. Great fans and likeable players/coaches...etc.
Shockerfan13
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shocktheheart » February 1st, 2012, 9:13 pm

Shockerfan13 wrote:
BirdmanBB wrote:On the opposite end of things, I think two fanbases that show a mutual respect for each other are ISUr and WSU.

I agree. Great fans and likeable players/coaches...etc.

I agree as well...two years ago stayed at the Drury Inn at Union Station and sat at a table with a few Redbird fans that were very respectful and knowldgeable of both teams. Had a couple of drinks and never met a Redbird fan that wasn't knowledgable or respectful.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby iSASO » February 1st, 2012, 9:36 pm

WSU doesn't have a rivalry that compares with Tulsa. During the early 80's both programs were consistently ranked in the Top 20 and the rivalry that developed lasted until they left the MVC 10 years later.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TrueBlueJay » February 2nd, 2012, 12:20 pm

iSASO wrote:WSU doesn't have a rivalry that compares with Tulsa. During the early 80's both programs were consistently ranked in the Top 20 and the rivalry that developed lasted until they left the MVC 10 years later.

Thank you, professor of ancient history.
TrueBlueJay
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Ali » February 2nd, 2012, 12:25 pm

iSASO wrote:WSU doesn't have a rivalry that compares with Tulsa. During the early 80's both programs were consistently ranked in the Top 20 and the rivalry that developed lasted until they left the MVC 10 years later.

When Wichita State starts competing for Arch Madness titles, I'm sure they will be able to find a new rival. :Cheers:
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shocktheheart » February 2nd, 2012, 12:35 pm

Ali wrote:

When Wichita State starts competing for Arch Madness titles, I'm sure they will be able to find a new rival. :Cheers:

Competing or winning? Two different things.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball