Anyone Watching SEMO@Murray St.

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Anyone Watching SEMO@Murray St.

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » February 2nd, 2012, 10:10 pm

Neither team looked very good or that talented. If that is the best the OVC has to offer in terms of competition for Murray State then they are going to be in for a surprise in March.

It was funny because during that game when SEMO was playing well a friend texted and said that they were the second best team in the state. Lolz. There are a couple of Missouri MIAA schools that could compete with SEMO.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Aargh » February 2nd, 2012, 11:45 pm

I think Murray State is the most overrated top 10 team since WSU in 2007.

I wanted WSU to get the game against them because it looked like one of the easier upper-level road games. Davidson will probably be about as tough a game as Murray would have been.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby musiccitybulldog » February 3rd, 2012, 4:43 am

Im judging Murray State based on their wins over Austin Peay, Western Ky and Morehead.
My guess would be teams like Wichita, Creighton would beat Murray by about 10-15 points.
In fact I think Murray could have their hands full with Austin Peay next week.
I don't think they will beat St. Marys.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ictjay » February 3rd, 2012, 8:14 am

Aargh wrote:I think Murray State is the most overrated top 10 team since WSU in 2007.

I wanted WSU to get the game against them because it looked like one of the easier upper-level road games. Davidson will probably be about as tough a game as Murray would have been.

Agreed, didn't see much "D" or toughness. Kind of 'freewheeling" it. SEMO didn't seem real interested in playing D either.
ictjay
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby TylerDurden » February 3rd, 2012, 9:23 am

I agree with most sentiments here about Murray State and feel like they'd be a mid-pack team in this year's MVC - clearly behind CU and WSU. I, too, am hesitant to call them great based on three wins against borderline NCAA teams and an unbeaten mark against some pretty bad teams, but I can't deny that they haven't lost in 22 games. That's impressive.

Their best wins are against Southern Miss, Memphis and Dayton. Memphis (very talented physically) and Dayton have been very inconsistent this year -- looking great one day, terrible the next. Southern Miss is pretty good.

IMO, they can get dragged into games like the one the had last night during because 1) it's a conference game; 2) they don't have great size; 3) they have good, not great talent; 4) it's hard to maintain focus every single game, especially when people are watching and you aren't used to them watching.

Despite my reluctance to fully buy into what they're doing, I'm pulling for them to keep winning.

I don't think they have what it takes to beat St. Mary's (or WSU, CU, LBSU, Gonzaga...maybe Iona, Nevada, ORU, Cleveland State, too.), but I'm not so confident about that that I'd put a wager down.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball