Creighton @ UNI, Sat. 2/4 4pm (FoxSports MW)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Creighton @ UNI, Sat. 2/4 4pm (FoxSports MW)

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » February 5th, 2012, 12:52 am

PantherSigEp wrote:As much as I would love to have the Panthers in an "at-large" conversation, I have my doubts, even if they do win out until the MVCT. The committee never shows respect for our leagues and those similar to us. MVC gets 3 in (assuming WSU and Creighton keep it up) only if someone not from Witchita-Omaha wins Arch Madness. I would love if I were wrong and things shape up this year for us "mid-majors". The fact that Iowa State is being considered for an at-large gives me a glimmer of hope

The thing about Iowa State being on the bubble is their only bad loss was to Drake. We have a couple that are worse than that. Plus they have the win against Kansas. We have at least a couple bad losses including the horrendous one to Bradley. I can maybe see us IF we do win out, but what makes people think that is a possibility? We have played to the level of our competition the entire conference schedule. Our only shot is getting hot in St. Louis.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby denjayfan1 » February 5th, 2012, 1:01 am

Congratulations on a great win today Northern Iowa. You are definitely my second favorite team in the conference behind Creighton of course. You got a top notch coach and blue collar kids that know how to scrap. Creighton and Northern should merge one day into mega Uniton! but seriously though hats off on the wonderful win. It just felt like your guys controlled the game from the tip. No shame in that loss whatever the year either team is having. I hope Creighton doesn't have to play you again in St. Louis, that being said I do hope you win out in the regular season. PS. Some of the folks on the Bluejay Underground need to stop bad mouthing the players, nuff said.
denjayfan1
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby TrueBlueJay » February 5th, 2012, 9:07 am

Creighton probably didn't deserve to win last night....good game by the Panthers...def not a team I want to see in St. Louis, unless it is for the championship.
TrueBlueJay
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby cu8493 » February 6th, 2012, 8:58 am

What you all apparently fail to grasp is the genious of Greg McD. Did you notice the complete lack of defense on the inbounding of the ball and only token defense on the last shot? You might be thinking, someone must have some money on UNI to beat the 2 point spread. But you would be wrong. With UNI winning, it moved up to 49 in the RPI. Thus by losing the game, CU picked up another win over a top 50 RPI for its NCAA resume. Pure genious. :bounce:
cu8493
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby achrist70 » February 6th, 2012, 9:32 am

While I agree that the Jays could of played a little tighter on ANTHONY JAMES at the end of the game, you can't pick up a foul in that situation, that ends the game (ask Pitt after they lost to Butler last year), and you can't let him get all the way to the rim for a layup which they didn't do. He made a set back 3, I think most coaches would have lived with that.
achrist70
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby DoubleJayAlum » February 6th, 2012, 11:07 am

I was worried about this game going in and, unfortunately, my concerns were well founded.

I still can't believe UNi rushed the floor though....
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » February 6th, 2012, 11:29 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:I was worried about this game going in and, unfortunately, my concerns were well founded.

Had the game ended any other way I don't think it happens.

However, a buzzer beater over a team that isn't well liked (for reasons that should be obvious) and a team ranked #12 in the nation....emotions caught up to the students and the team and it happened.

Had AY missed that 3 and UNI rebounded and got fouled there would have been no rushing. Had UNI sealed the game earlier and won by 6 there is no rushing.

That ending, however, completely warranted a rush.

I'm sorry your student section doesn't get into the game at the Ques...er...Centery Link...or whatever it is called now.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » February 6th, 2012, 12:00 pm

UNI rushed the court?

I thought that since they had a full house for the first time in a while they had to usher some of the patrons through the tunnel. It can be difficult getting 7000 people out of a building. Just another unfair disadvantage for UNI.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » February 6th, 2012, 12:45 pm

uniftw wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:I was worried about this game going in and, unfortunately, my concerns were well founded.

Had the game ended any other way I don't think it happens.

However, a buzzer beater over a team that isn't well liked (for reasons that should be obvious) and a team ranked #12 in the nation....emotions caught up to the students and the team and it happened.

Had AY missed that 3 and UNI rebounded and got fouled there would have been no rushing. Had UNI sealed the game earlier and won by 6 there is no rushing.

That ending, however, completely warranted a rush.

I'm sorry your student section doesn't get into the game at the Ques...er...Centery Link...or whatever it is called now.

For a fan of school that has a hard time getting students to show up, That last sentence is pretty funny.

I'd hope our students wouldn't ever rush the floor over a win against a conference opponent. EVER!

And I disagree about the students only rushing the floor because of the way the game ended. I think that as long as UNI won, there was going to be a floor storming. It is almost like the entire student section has no idea that UNI went to the Sweet Sixteen and ranked in the top 20 a mere two years ago.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » February 6th, 2012, 12:59 pm

The court storming had everything to do with the dramatic ending. You can try and argue otherwise if you want, but I don't see how there is any question to that being the case.

Under the obvious storylines of the game, the fact that it was a top 15 ranked team, and it was a dramatic buzzer beater, it was a totally legitimate storm IMO. And I'm a person that is generally against court storming, but this was a worthy moment. It was more of a natural reaction to the shot, rather than it be precontemplated.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball