Indiana State @ WSU (9pm - ESPN2)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Indiana State @ WSU (9pm - ESPN2)

Postby PowderBlue » February 5th, 2012, 7:42 am

iSASO wrote:Shockers shoot 1 3-ball in the second half and it was H-U-G-E. Indiana State just wouldn't go away, kudos to their determination and god coaching.

It's too bad Stutz is ineligible for the POY award.

Color me dumb...why is Stutz ineligible?

Wufan wrote:Odum looked amazing, and I hate him.

I know Dougie is the POY in waiting, but is any player more dominating on the offensive end than Stutz?

I was watching the game and thought I could hear someone painfully screaming godOdumgod in the crowd...that you? :)

Stutz is THE reason WSU won. His second half should be his highlight video for the next two weeks. Offensively and defensively.
PowderBlue
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » February 5th, 2012, 8:30 am

PowderBlue]

Color me dumb...why is Stutz ineligible?

[quote="Wufan wrote:
Odum looked amazing, and I hate him.

I know Dougie is the POY in waiting, but is any player more dominating on the offensive end than Stutz?

I was watching the game and thought I could hear someone painfully screaming godOdumgod in the crowd...that you? :)

Stutz is THE reason WSU won. His second half should be his highlight video for the next two weeks. Offensively and defensively.

Wasn't me! I live 80 miles from Koch and have two small children. It's hard for me to make many games unfortunately.

As to Stutz's "eligibility, I think it's because no one other than Dougie is eligible to win.

Stutz put up some monster stats in the second half, but he's been doing that (offensively) since the last Indiana State game. In fact, GS is averaging 19 and 10 since we last played ISUb. He actually wasn't near as efficient scoring last night as he's been recently...credit Walker's D.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ShockerFan87 » February 5th, 2012, 9:26 am

Garrett put up 20 points in the second half alone. Imagine if we had been smart and got the ball to him in the 1st half. That would have been fun to watch.
ShockerFan87
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby DUBulldog » February 5th, 2012, 9:37 am

Stutz has been an absolute beast the last several weeks.

Question for WSU fans......is it that Stutz has greatly improved his game, or have adjustments been made to get him the ball more often? Both?

Last year, I saw glimpses of his potential, but he seemed to disappear at other times.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby PowderBlue » February 5th, 2012, 10:06 am

Wufan, that was my original thought, but I wasn't sure if I was missing something.

They did try to get him the ball in the first half, I think he was waiting for fouls to get called and the refs were actually letting them play. In the second half he was MUCH more aggressive against the double teams, and other times was quick enough to score before the double got there.

If ISU can put that type of effort together in the last 5 games, they could go 4-1.
PowderBlue
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby 2livewu » February 5th, 2012, 10:37 am

Congrats on the Trees regaining much of their mojo. That's a really tough team when they play organized and D like that.

WSU is a better team but ISU is better than 2-7, which they are fixing,.

I heard a comment driving home about Coach Marshall telling the Sycamore seniors how proud he was of their effort over their years in the program and to make sure they got the one on Senior Night.

Too bad these 2 teams will probably battle to stay out of the Thursday game next season.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Shockerfan13 » February 5th, 2012, 1:01 pm

DUBulldog wrote:Stutz has been an absolute beast the last several weeks.

Question for WSU fans......is it that Stutz has greatly improved his game, or have adjustments been made to get him the ball more often? Both?

Last year, I saw glimpses of his potential, but he seemed to disappear at other times.

Probably a little of both. Mostly I think the big man camp over the summer helped him. Especially with defense and rebounding which are the things that kept his minutes pretty limited the last couple of years. He's always been an efficient scorer. He's been one of the most efficient scorers in the Valley for some time now in terms of ppm.

His rebounding and defense alone show that it's more than just adjustments made by the coaching staff. Those don't get better without attitude, aggressiveness and determination.
Shockerfan13
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » February 5th, 2012, 3:36 pm

Shockerfan13 wrote:
DUBulldog wrote:Stutz has been an absolute beast the last several weeks.

Probably a little of both. Mostly I think the big man camp over the summer helped him. Especially with defense and rebounding which are the things that kept his minutes pretty limited the last couple of years. He's always been an efficient scorer. He's been one of the most efficient scorers in the Valley for some time now in terms of ppm.

His rebounding and defense alone show that it's more than just adjustments made by the coaching staff. Those don't get better without attitude, aggressiveness and determination.

Last year, even when he played well, he wouldn't try to dunk over people like he does now, and he sure didn't drive the hoop from the perimeter and dunk as he has done multiple times this year. I think it's a slight attitude adjustment from "I'm getting hammered if I breathe on people, someone back me up here," to "screw it, I'm going dominate these midgets because I'm a BMF!"
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » February 5th, 2012, 4:16 pm

I going to guess that Marshall's half time adjustments went something like this:

"If anybody shoots a 3 before Stutz has touched the ball, you're going to be sitting as far away from me as I can put you. Then we'll discuss the status of your scholarship in April".
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » February 5th, 2012, 4:39 pm

Does Indiana State have a strength and conditioning program?
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball