Could UNI Play Their Way Back on the Bubble?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Could UNI Play Their Way Back on the Bubble?

Postby 2livewu » February 6th, 2012, 2:18 pm

I wish I knew what was discussed back in 2005, but if the numbers I found were correct, it's borderline insanity that UNI got an at large bid over WSU.

WSU had a better overall record, finished ahead of UNI in conference, had a better RPI, actually won a game in the MVC tournament (UNI was 1 and out) and could certainly be argued they were the better team, having beaten UNI handily in Cedar Falls while losing at home by one on a buzzer beater (offensive foul) 3.

It would appear that the only important criteria was the record in the final 10 games (which at 4-6 just ignores WSU's 18-3 start) and it also appears that the selection committee was looking to add a 3rd Valley team as otherwise UNI's resume is pretty weak.

My point is that UNI could be in the mix as the 3rd Valley team (assuming WSU finds a way in).
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby valleychamp » February 6th, 2012, 2:23 pm

beatingrillz wrote:None of this will matter if they finish behind the Bears. If OSU beats ISU and West Virginia continues to do well in the Big East, MSU will jump UNI in SOS and would have the head to head advantage.

Very doubtful. The SOS #'s are not going to change much at this point, and UNI clearly had the better schedule. The only significant change will be with the bracketbuster games, and UNI has a better opponent (VCU), than MSU does (ODU--who UNI already beat anyway).
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby cpacmel » February 6th, 2012, 2:26 pm

Wufan wrote:FWIW:

Jay Bilas has UNI as one of the last 4 in and MSU as one of the last 4 out.

Do you have a link to this? I haven't seen Bilas ever do a bracket. I do know he has done power rankings before.
cpacmel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby unipanther99 » February 6th, 2012, 2:29 pm

2livewu wrote:I wish I knew what was discussed back in 2005, but if the numbers I found were correct, it's borderline insanity that UNI got an at large bid over WSU.

WSU had a better overall record, finished ahead of UNI in conference, had a better RPI, actually won a game in the MVC tournament (UNI was 1 and out) and could certainly be argued they were the better team, having beaten UNI handily in Cedar Falls while losing at home by one on a buzzer beater (offensive foul) 3.

It would appear that the only important criteria was the record in the final 10 games (which at 4-6 just ignores WSU's 18-3 start) and it also appears that the selection committee was looking to add a 3rd Valley team as otherwise UNI's resume is pretty weak.

My point is that UNI could be in the mix as the 3rd Valley team (assuming WSU finds a way in).

After losing that quarterfinal in 2005, everyone from UNI assumed we were NIT bound. We spent the next week watching BCS bubble teams lose and fell into the at-large discussion that year. And yes, how you played in your last 10 was a criteria that year and has since been de-emphasized by the committee.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby BirdmanBB » February 6th, 2012, 2:33 pm

I agree with the last 10 games as a criteria. I think it is pretty important when deciding the last couple teams. In otherwords, who is playing their best basketball at that point in time and who is just backing in because of a couple solid wins earlier in the season.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » February 6th, 2012, 2:34 pm

One of the last games of the season was Benny's buzzer beater to win in Wichita. That probably had a little bit to do with the decision between the two teams as well.

Plus, UNI is a well respected media darling that got the benefit of the doubt, and Wichita was just a young scrappy upstart program. :D
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby beatingrillz » February 6th, 2012, 2:39 pm

valleychamp wrote:
beatingrillz wrote:None of this will matter if they finish behind the Bears. If OSU beats ISU and West Virginia continues to do well in the Big East, MSU will jump UNI in SOS and would have the head to head advantage.

Very doubtful. The SOS #'s are not going to change much at this point, and UNI clearly had the better schedule. The only significant change will be with the bracketbuster games, and UNI has a better opponent (VCU), than MSU does (ODU--who UNI already beat anyway).

Really? Maybe you don't understand how SOS works. Also how did UNI clearly have the better schedule?
West Virginia > Prividence
New Mexico > Colorado State
ORU > Ohio
St. Mary's = St. Mary's
Nevada > Iowa
OSU < ISU
ODU = ODU
Ark State = Milwaukee
UALR = Northern Colarado
TAMU CC = Western Carolina

MSU has the tougher schedule by the end of the year it will be shown.
beatingrillz
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby valleychamp » February 6th, 2012, 2:55 pm

They clearly have the better schedule, because the SOS #s clearly show that they have the better schedule. That's why. Look it up.

Unless Iowa State or Colorado St tank the end of the year, not much is going to change.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdmanBB » February 6th, 2012, 3:02 pm

cpacmel wrote:

Do you have a link to this? I haven't seen Bilas ever do a bracket. I do know he has done power rankings before.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7543158/college-hoops-top-68-rankings-unc-rises-bilas-index

Mel, it's an index of who bilas thinks are the best 68 teams in the country. It is not a predictor of brackets. I think Bilas has always been a proponent of letting the best 68 teams play in the tourney and dropping the automatic bids. This would probably be more beneficial to the valley, but you would think BCS teams would stop playing mid-majors altogether if that were the case.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby GOREDBIRDS4 » February 6th, 2012, 3:09 pm

valleychamp wrote:

He must not have consulted with GOREDBIRDS4.

HAHA just saw the link to this. It doesn't mean anything. Take into consideration all the auto-bids and they get pushed down by 15 teams at least.
GOREDBIRDS4
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball