Could UNI Play Their Way Back on the Bubble?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Could UNI Play Their Way Back on the Bubble?

Postby Wufan » February 6th, 2012, 11:54 am

FWIW:

Jay Bilas has UNI as one of the last 4 in and MSU as one of the last 4 out.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby valleychamp » February 6th, 2012, 12:47 pm

Wufan wrote:FWIW:

He must not have consulted with GOREDBIRDS4.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby GOREDBIRDS4 » February 6th, 2012, 12:49 pm

valleychamp wrote:
Wufan wrote:FWIW:

He must not have consulted with GOREDBIRDS4.

Never thought much of Jay Bilas.

Lunardi doesn't even mention them.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology
GOREDBIRDS4
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby squirrel » February 6th, 2012, 1:22 pm

cpac...you're completely missing the point:

It's not literally about the Top 50. It's the quality of the calculation overall as a result of having so many highly rated teams in the league, it's impact on the schedule strength, and subsequently the RPI.

Now, yes, UNI has a stronger non-con SOS this year. However, it will be harder with a sub-par league performance overall, because there are fewer games against higher-rated teams, not only directly, but indirectly through the league's membership playing itself.

And I'm not even disagreeing with you on the practicality of UNI's resume on paper. I'm merely looking at the math. And frankly, the math at this point, puts UNI against the odds.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby cpacmel » February 6th, 2012, 1:42 pm

squirrel wrote:cpac...you're completely missing the point:

It's not literally about the Top 50. It's the quality of the calculation overall as a result of having so many highly rated teams in the league, it's impact on the schedule strength, and subsequently the RPI.

Now, yes, UNI has a stronger non-con SOS this year. However, it will be harder with a sub-par league performance overall, because there are fewer games against higher-rated teams, not only directly, but indirectly through the league's membership playing itself.

And I'm not even disagreeing with you on the practicality of UNI's resume on paper. I'm merely looking at the math. And frankly, the math at this point, puts UNI against the odds.

Do you really believe this stuff? Wow. I honestly don't think you are looking at the math at all.

Let me throw some more #'s your way, and then you can try and explain more about you "quality of calucation" :roll: I think the Enron guys used terms like that too. :D

We already looked at top 50 wins. I think you would admit that 8 to 7 is pretty negligible.

UNI's SOS right now is 23. Back in 2005 it was 74.

UNI's non-conf SOS right now is 82. Back in 2005 it was 118.

And how is the MVC sub-par this year? Conf rpi wise it' the 8th best conference. Which is exactly what it was for the 04/05 season!

Maybe Murph was right:
If we listened to you you'd tell us you're the smartest guy on the hilltop.
8-)
cpacmel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » February 6th, 2012, 1:49 pm

I don't have a dog in this fight, but right now there are only 2 MVC teams with sub 50 RPIs (Creighton at 16 and WSU at 27). Uni is currently just outside of the top 50 at 51 and may have a real tough time getting and staying under 50. They have one game left against WSU at WSU which would give them a nice bump if they win, but then they have to play teams with the following RPIs: 116, 162, 230 and 228.

RIght now UNI really needs to root hard for instate ribvals Iowa and Iowa St. Iowa's RPI is currently at 125 and is unlikely to get under 100 because of the crappy noncon losses to some bad teams (Clemson and Campbell).

UNI's really, really bad loss to a Bradley team with a 230 RPI will be used against them as well.

I might be a bit pessimistic, but I think UNi has to win out in the tourney and get the autobid to dance. One thing is for sure - to have a chance at an at large at all, they need to upset WSU at WSU.
Last edited by DoubleJayAlum on February 6th, 2012, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kyle » February 6th, 2012, 2:01 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:I might be a bit pessimistic, but I think UNi has to win out and get the autobid to dance. One thing is for sure - to have a chance at an at large at all, they need to upset WSU at WSU.

Wow, UNI is so bad, just winning the MVC tournament isn't going to cut it. They also must win the rest of their remaining regular season games.

Jay Bilas has nothin on the guys in this forum.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » February 6th, 2012, 2:02 pm

Kyle wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:I might be a bit pessimistic, but I think UNi has to win out and get the autobid to dance. One thing is for sure - to have a chance at an at large at all, they need to upset WSU at WSU.

Wow, UNI is so bad, just winning the MVC tournament isn't going to cut it. They also must win the rest of their remaining regular season games.

Jay Bilas has nothin on the guys in this forum.

My mistake - I meant to say that UNI has to win out in the tourney and get the autobid to dance...
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » February 6th, 2012, 2:15 pm

I think we can all agree that the UNI team should count on needing to win Arch Maddness to dance this year. As for the fans and media, it's always fun to speculate what the constantly changing criteria of the selection committee will be from year to year.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby beatingrillz » February 6th, 2012, 2:16 pm

None of this will matter if they finish behind the Bears. If OSU beats ISU and West Virginia continues to do well in the Big East, MSU will jump UNI in SOS and would have the head to head advantage.
beatingrillz
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball