Northern Iowa at Wichita State - Wed 2/8

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Northern Iowa at Wichita State - Wed 2/8

Postby 2livewu » February 9th, 2012, 11:33 am

I DO think Ben plays to the strengths of his team, and exploits the weaknesses of the other team, as well or better than any coach in the Valley and beyond.

That being said, recruiting talent is the biggest part of coaching.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby valleychamp » February 9th, 2012, 12:24 pm

2livewu wrote:There were a few subtle jabs in there, but my overall point would be this:

I am a little tired of hearing how team A (UNI in this instance) is so well coached and gets so much out of their players, while WSU is a brain fart or coaching blunder from the abyss.

Either there is a wide gap in talent between the 2 programs (amongst others btw) right now, or Coach Marshall does a much better job than most people want to admit. You choose.

UNI didn't play poorly, at all, last night. In fact, I thought they were pretty darned good for the most part, outside of getting sucked into a little more up and down game than I'm sure Ben wanted, but the Shocks deserve at least a little credit for making that happen.

And yes, Cotton and White would be in the rotation for UNI had they started the season at UNI. If you think Rank or Pehl is better than White or Morrison (for example) is better than Cotton, you need some remedial Basketball 101. Ben would have those 2 contributing a bunch for a .500 Valley team.

Your tired of your team being disrespected? Well so are UNI fans. You can throw some jabs out there if you want, but you need to expect some return fire. Its hard for UNI fans to constantly accept criticisms on our talent, when we have won more consistently than almost anybody the last 8 years.

As far as Marshall, the knock on him is that he has not been able to get over the hump. He is obviously a fantastic coach. He was won a ton of games everywhere he has been. Many people believe that, while WSU has been really good, they had underachieved the last couple years. When he wins his first championship or earns an NCAA tournament berth, that criticism of him will stop, plain and simple.

Would Cotton and White play for UNI? Probably! I'm not sure what that proves. We already have a bunch of freshman playing on our team as it is. They would be playing big minutes for WSU too, if they had a team as young as UNI has. WSU has the oldest team in the league.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » February 9th, 2012, 3:14 pm

unipanther99 wrote:It obviously had no bearing on the outcome at all, but what about that offensive goaltending on UNI. The replay clearly showed it was falling off the rim. Didn't goaltending and basketball interference used to be a reviewable play in college basketball?

I kinda thought about that call. I sit on the corner near that goal. I wasn't sure it was the right call.

At the time, I seem to recall that the score was still close and I was glad the goal was not allowed.

I wonder what the rule is.

One of the ref posters will surely answer the question.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » February 9th, 2012, 4:09 pm

I think most of the ref posters (like myself) only work high school, where we obviously don't have replay... I don't think they even have it in the lower divisions of NCAA. I have a buddy who works some D1, I'll ask him this weekend when I see him.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby getreal4 » February 9th, 2012, 9:43 pm

this board is waaaay to civil! shox & panther fans reasonably discussing opinions and no flaming wow! :roll: 8-)
getreal4
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby PantherSigEp » February 9th, 2012, 11:17 pm

Yikes that was brutal. The worst part is that I don't think the Panthers played their worst game last night. The Shox just could not miss and UNI will almost always lose that battle.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby iSASO » February 10th, 2012, 9:00 am

Ricardo del Rio wrote:
unipanther99 wrote:It obviously had no bearing on the outcome at all, but what about that offensive goaltending on UNI. The replay clearly showed it was falling off the rim. Didn't goaltending and basketball interference used to be a reviewable play in college basketball?

I kinda thought about that call. I sit on the corner near that goal. I wasn't sure it was the right call.

At the time, I seem to recall that the score was still close and I was glad the goal was not allowed.

I wonder what the rule is.

One of the ref posters will surely answer the question.

Here's a pretty simple explanation, which validates that the ref made the correct call:

It is illegal to touch the basketball or the ring of the hoop when the ball itself is on top of the hoop, unless a player's hand is still legally in contact with the ball. For example, if a player is shooting the ball and the ball rests on the rim while the player is still in the act of shooting, there is no call. If a player shoots the ball and an opposing player touches the ball--or the rim--while the ball is resting on the rim, goaltending is the call.

Read more: College Basketball Rules for Goaltending | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6727072_colleg ... z1lzV0Blgq

So, just like a defensive player is not allowed to touch the basketball while it is resting on the rim, an offensive player is also not allowed to touch it unless they were already in the act of shooting, like would happen during a layup or dunk attempt.

Bottom line is, the zebra got it right.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby unipanther99 » February 10th, 2012, 9:22 am

Except that it wasn't resting on the rim. Again, I don't fault the refs, in real time it was very close.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby shockerengr » February 10th, 2012, 10:45 am

unipanther99 wrote:Except that it wasn't resting on the rim. Again, I don't fault the refs, in real time it was very close.

Being at the game, (behind and above the basket) it looked like it was rolling on the rim...if it was off, it wasn't by much.

My feeling at the game was had he wait a split second longer, it wouldn't have been goaltending...but in the scrum he went a bit too aggressively at it.
shockerengr
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby iSASO » February 10th, 2012, 12:36 pm

unipanther99 wrote:Except that it wasn't resting on the rim. Again, I don't fault the refs, in real time it was very close.

It was moreso resting on the rim than off the rim, otherwise he might have tried to rebound it instead of tipping it. There was no way the ball could have been rebounded away from goal in the position it was in. Yes, if he would have waited another second, then it would have fallen away far enough that a legal tip or a rebound could have been possible.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball