More Conference Shake-UP

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: More Conference Shake-UP

Postby Red » February 23rd, 2012, 1:43 pm

MVCfans wrote:Looks like Villanova is going to be outvoted and Temple will be (re)-joining the Big east soon.

It appears the Big East Conference might not be finished expanding just yet.

Temple is in talks with the Big East about joining the league as early as 2012, sources confirmed Wednesday. The New York Times first reported on the discussions to add Temple in all sports.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... ources-say

If Temple goes, what does the MAC do for football? What does the A10 do for hoops?
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DoubleJayAlum » February 23rd, 2012, 1:45 pm

Red wrote:
MVCfans wrote:Looks like Villanova is going to be outvoted and Temple will be (re)-joining the Big east soon.

It appears the Big East Conference might not be finished expanding just yet.

Temple is in talks with the Big East about joining the league as early as 2012, sources confirmed Wednesday. The New York Times first reported on the discussions to add Temple in all sports.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... ources-say

If Temple goes, what does the MAC do for football? What does the A10 do for hoops?

As I stated above, there is speculation that UMass will move as well.

Would IlSU have interest in the MAC?
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » February 23rd, 2012, 1:51 pm

I've been opposed to UNI moving up for a couple reasons for quite a while....but with the recent MAC issues I've come to this conclusion.

If the MAC is willing to take football only affiliates and combine their basketball with the A10 I'm all for UNI moving to the MAC for football if we can stay Valley for everything else. Maybe UNI, ISUr, SIU, and even MSU can be packages together.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby getreal4 » February 23rd, 2012, 3:54 pm

Does anyone believe Elgin is finding a couple of big name basketball schools to join the Valley?
:huh: :roll:
getreal4
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » February 23rd, 2012, 3:55 pm

getreal4 wrote:Does anyone believe Elgin is finding a couple of big name basketball schools to join the Valley?
:huh: :roll:

Part of me hopes he has some schools in talks with the MVC....
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby getreal4 » February 23rd, 2012, 4:04 pm

due to scheduling concerns for us small MVC teams, I would like to see another quality team and a 20 game round robin schedule. Is there a limit set by the NCAA on number of conference games?
getreal4
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdmanBB » February 23rd, 2012, 4:28 pm

In a recent article quoting the ISU president in the last week on football renovation, FBS and expansion, he mentioned that he has talked to other valley presidents about schools the valley would be interested in for expansion purposes. So at least we know they have been talking and consider it.

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/bowman-goal-remains-to-move-isu-football-to-fbs/article_64ebd512-5ab2-11e1-adab-001871e3ce6c.html

“We’re real happy with the Missouri Valley right now,” said Bowman. “The presidents in the Valley are certainly thinking about what would happen if there were more realignment changes and what schools would make sense to incorporate into the Valley. But I don’t see anything on the immediate horizon.”

oh and just to stir the pot a little.....

“The long, long range vision is to play football at that next level,” Bowman said of moving from the Championship Subdivision to Bowl Subdivision. “But we’ve got a lot of ground between now and then.”
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball