shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Re: Valley Player of the Year

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TNMSUFAN » February 9th, 2012, 7:47 am

MVC POY should be Valley stats only IMO and it is close enough the guy on the Valley champ team should get it

McDermott 21.6pts 8.5rbs
Stutz 18.0pts 9.4rbs

Also, for those who think Kyle has had a down year he is averaging 18.1pts 7.4rbs in Valley play
TNMSUFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby jaybydna » February 9th, 2012, 8:03 am

TNMSUFAN wrote:MVC POY should be Valley stats only IMO and it is close enough the guy on the Valley champ team should get it

McDermott 21.6pts 8.5rbs
Stutz 18.0pts 9.4rbs

Also, for those who think Kyle has had a down year he is averaging 18.1pts 7.4rbs in Valley play

Why MVC games only? As we have seen, non-conference play sets up conference play. Those that do good bring it into league play and those that don't bring horrible RPIs into league play. While math is the universal language, it is always interesting to see political parties, corporate execs, and now MVC fans pick and choose what matters and what does not.

Here is my suggestion, only league games, at home, on Tuesday nights count.

And for the record, the only award I care about is the team award.
jaybydna
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby ShockValue » February 9th, 2012, 8:05 am

I'll admit it. McDermott is the best player in the conference and should win the award. Doesn't mean GS isn't having a tremendous year.
ShockValue
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby TNMSUFAN » February 9th, 2012, 8:07 am

jaybydna wrote:
TNMSUFAN wrote:MVC POY should be Valley stats only IMO and it is close enough the guy on the Valley champ team should get it

McDermott 21.6pts 8.5rbs
Stutz 18.0pts 9.4rbs

Why MVC games only? As we have seen, non-conference play sets up conference play. Those that do good bring it into league play and those that don't bring horrible RPIs into league play. While math is the universal language, it is always interesting to see political parties, corporate execs, and now MVC fans pick and choose what matters and what does not.

It is the MVC POY. So if player A averages 23pts in non-con and then 9pts in league play he should be an All-Valley player? Doesn't really make much sense and league honors are voted on by league members based on league play...pretty simple.
TNMSUFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » February 9th, 2012, 8:08 am

McDermott 21.6pts 8.5rbs
Stutz 18.0pts 9.4rbs

I agree with TNMSU. Weems, Ryan, and Taylor Brown would very much be in the discussion if their respective teams were in first place. That said, if CU finishes second (still not likely) and Doug wins POY, I will not be disappointed. He is very deserving and probably the best player in the league. OTOH, I feel that if WSU wins the Valley, then Stutz, as a senior, is an arguable candidate for POY. I think that he is the most dominating offensive player in the Valley in that he demands more attention and causes a greater disruption to the opposing team's defense than any other player. I am also admittedly biased.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » February 9th, 2012, 8:13 am

jaybydna wrote:

McDermott 21.6pts 8.5rbs
Stutz 18.0pts 9.4rbs

WHAT! Of course there is criteria! I don't know the exact criteria, but I would think that League play would be important. Tuesday nights at home is not important. Also, you should look at what Stutz was asked to do in the non-con...play 20 minutes per game setting screens so the guards could penetrate or shoot threes. What was Doug asked to do? Play 35 minutes per game and score. Where Doug is REALLY special is in his efficiency. He doesn't have to take 30 shots to score 25 points. Generally he scores 25 on 15 shots per contest, and he does it and has done it consistently all year. He is truly a great player. Stutz is just coming into his own and is having a truly great season.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ShockValue » February 9th, 2012, 8:15 am

Is it possible for a national player of the year to not be the conference player of the year?
ShockValue
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Wufan » February 9th, 2012, 8:17 am

PricklyPete wrote:Stutz had 5 points against Creighton the one time he played against a real center in the Valley and was a non-factor in the Shox biggest game of the year. McDermott has scored in double figures every game ALL SEASON and that includes all MVC games. I rest my case your honor.

See my previous post. Stutz wasn't asked to score all season. He was asked to set screens. Granted, the worst game of the season for Stutz was against Creighton. Worst game for Doug? The only time he faced WSU. Doug is very deserving and a fantastic player. Doug does not alter the game the way Stutz does. How's that for a "case?"
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby cpacmel » February 9th, 2012, 8:18 am

I don't have a dog in this fight, but McDermott is Player of the Year in the Valley.
cpacmel
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball