Valley Player of the Year

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Valley Player of the Year

Postby DoubleJayAlum » February 19th, 2012, 2:01 am

For those keeping track:

Stutz against Davidson (RPI 76): 8 pts, 5 rebs
McDermott against Long Beach St (RPI 36): 36 pts, 11 rebs

I'm sure Aargh will call these "comparable" performances.

Probably also worth noting that the announcers during the WSU game said that WSU looked better when Stutz was on the bench.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby AndShock » February 19th, 2012, 2:08 am

Probably worth noting that those weren't Valley games.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jet915 » February 19th, 2012, 9:28 am

The way Ragland was playing, I'd probably put him ahead of Stutz, he is playing amazing.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » February 21st, 2012, 10:57 am

Heard someone say McDermott has won player of the week 5 times this year and the only player with more in one year was Hersey Hawkins. He was amazing on Saturday for sure and well deserving of the award.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby CaliRdBrd » February 21st, 2012, 1:05 pm

Carmichael:)
CaliRdBrd
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby shockem » February 21st, 2012, 1:53 pm

Jet915 wrote:The way Ragland was playing, I'd probably put him ahead of Stutz, he is playing amazing.

Ragland is definitely playing himself onto the 1st team. I've been one of the proponents of Stutz but have said all along it's all how they finish and Stutz has had a couple down games recently. I'm back on the McDermott bandwagon for POY. Now if Stutz averages 25 and 12 the next two games and CU loses another one I reserve the right to flip flop again.
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jays26 » February 21st, 2012, 3:07 pm

shockem wrote:
Jet915 wrote:The way Ragland was playing, I'd probably put him ahead of Stutz, he is playing amazing.

Ragland is definitely playing himself onto the 1st team. I've been one of the proponents of Stutz but have said all along it's all how they finish and Stutz has had a couple down games recently. I'm back on the McDermott bandwagon for POY. Now if Stutz averages 25 and 12 the next two games and CU loses another one I reserve the right to flip flop again.

Flip flop all you want......the fat lady has sung. :Cheers:
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC

Postby WooHoo » February 24th, 2012, 1:11 pm

In the end, Stutz and Ragland will get penalized because they play on a more balanced team. Instead of having to rely on 25 points a game from one target, WSU can get scoring from a multitude of directions. Ragland or Stutz could probably go off and put in 20 a game if they had to, but they don't need to. Creighton requires a lot of output from Doug to help them succeed. They're a bit more limited on their scoring sources.

WSU will likely win the Valley by 2 or possibly 3 games in a conference that improved to a Top 8 position this year. Typically, you'd reward that team who left everyone in the dust. Fair or not, that's the way it has been in this league.

If you look strictly at numbers, then I guess it's a no-brainer for McDermott. If you look more into the situation and take into account other factors, a player from the Championship team should get a serious look.
WooHoo
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » February 24th, 2012, 1:31 pm

WooHoo wrote:Fair or not, that's the way it has been in this league.

Baller, you are 100% right that it has usually been this way (although there are certainly exceptions), but that doesn't make it a good argument. I hate justifications that encourage people to just do things the way they've always done them instead of really thinking about what they are doing.

The question I have for Shocker fans is who do you want to win? Last week it seemed like every Shocker fan that wanted a WSU player selected wanted Stutz. Suddenly, this week many are saying Ragland. Who do you pick? It seems to me that the fact that they are both so important seems to lessen their individual importance, right?

If I had to select a WSU player, Ragland would get my vote. Of course, I admit that I am colored by the way that Stutz performed (or the lack thereof) in both of the games against CU.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby kochhead22 » February 24th, 2012, 1:48 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
WooHoo wrote:Fair or not, that's the way it has been in this league.

Baller, you are 100% right that it has usually been this way (although there are certainly exceptions), but that doesn't make it a good argument. I hate justifications that encourage people to just do things the way they've always done them instead of really thinking about what they are doing.

The question I have for Shocker fans is who do you want to win? Last week it seemed like every Shocker fan that wanted a WSU player selected wanted Stutz. Suddenly, this week many are saying Ragland. Who do you pick? It seems to me that the fact that they are both so important seems to lessen their individual importance, right?

If I had to select a WSU player, Ragland would get my vote. Of course, I admit that I am colored by the way that Stutz performed (or the lack thereof) in both of the games against CU.

My choice for POY award would be McD. . . But if i was choosing between Stutz and Ragland, it is a little difficult. Stutz through most of valley play has been pretty consistant besides a couple of games and he went on a 20+ppg streak and overall for the season is averaging a little more than Ragland. . . Ragland is a good choice because he's averaging good ppg and has done a great job through out the season w/ limiting his turnovers. I think what bumps him up in some Shocker/MVC fans minds are the big indivdual performances w/ ppg he has had this year. . . Between the two i guess i would say Stutz but i dont think he'll get it over McD.
kochhead22
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball