Valley Player of the Year

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Valley Player of the Year

Postby sect.3purple » February 24th, 2012, 1:58 pm

Colt Ryan. Looking at the overall picture....steals, assists, scoring, and just maneuvering through Marty's motion offense (not just standing under the basket and using height advantage), working out there on the court......I would choose Ryan for his overall contributions, year-round, to his team.
sect.3purple
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » February 24th, 2012, 4:46 pm

sect.3purple wrote:Colt Ryan. Looking at the overall picture....steals, assists, scoring, and just maneuvering through Marty's motion offense (not just standing under the basket and using height advantage), working out there on the court......I would choose Ryan for his overall contributions, year-round, to his team.

Have you seen McDermott play? He works his ass off to get in good position for ball feeds into the post.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » February 24th, 2012, 5:06 pm

Nobody works harder off ball than Doug McDermott, and that includes Colt Ryan. It's crazy to watch him work and work and work.....

I just wish he worked 1/10th as hard on D. It would make him winning the POY a lot easier to swallow, and I like the kid.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jet915 » February 24th, 2012, 5:25 pm

I agree McDermott isn't great at D, but it's alot better than it was last year, probably cause he put on some weight. I think part of it is that McDermott definitely doesn't want to get in foul trouble so when he plays D in the post, all he does is try to hold his ground and put his arms up. He never leaves his feet on D which is why he has like 1 blocked shot the entire year.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby sixth ace » February 24th, 2012, 7:02 pm

Jet915 wrote:I agree McDermott isn't great at D, but it's alot better than it was last year, probably cause he put on some weight. I think part of it is that McDermott definitely doesn't want to get in foul trouble so when he plays D in the post, all he does is try to hold his ground and put his arms up. He never leaves his feet on D which is why he has like 1 blocked shot the entire year.

Personally I think you and 2livewu haven't watch enough of Colt Ryan. In reality I don't expect any respect, on this board, for anything the Aces do. I realize respect is earn but to discount what Ryan does night in and out is n't excusable.

When are these accolades handed out,before or after the tournament?
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » February 24th, 2012, 7:58 pm

sixth ace wrote:
Jet915 wrote:I agree McDermott isn't great at D, but it's alot better than it was last year, probably cause he put on some weight. I think part of it is that McDermott definitely doesn't want to get in foul trouble so when he plays D in the post, all he does is try to hold his ground and put his arms up. He never leaves his feet on D which is why he has like 1 blocked shot the entire year.

Personally I think you and 2livewu haven't watch enough of Colt Ryan. In reality I don't expect any respect, on this board, for anything the Aces do. I realize respect is earn but to discount what Ryan does night in and out is n't excusable.

I think the banquet in Tuesday.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby 2livewu » February 24th, 2012, 8:04 pm

sixth ace wrote:

I've watched too much of Colt Ryan to be honest. And that's more about the grab and hold style of UE than Colt himself.

I've done a 180 on my opinion of him this year. I completely believe he should be 1st team, and I thought it was a joke at the start of the year. He's a super player, all I said was that he didn't work as hard as McDermott off ball. That doesn't mean he isn't working hard...he's tireless. McDermott works harder to get open than anyone I've ever seen, and that's saying something.

Nobody's discounting or disrespecting Colt. He's well earned his place.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aargh » February 24th, 2012, 9:01 pm

Stutz appears to have made a serious effort to play himself out of consideration lately. In one game, Ragland was getting about 10 uncontested layups. Maybe Stutz had bad stats because that benefited the team? In the other recent game Stutz put Carmichael on the bench by drawing fouls on him. Then Stutz couldn't throw it in the ocean, but still ended up with a double-double.

At the same time that Stutz stats went down, Ragland became a world-beater. That could split the votes for those who vote for a member of the winning team. Between Stutz lack of recent stats and the vote split with Ragland, I expect McDermott to win MVP. He will be the first player since Kyle Korver to be MVP while not playing on the team that won the conference.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » February 24th, 2012, 10:53 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:If I had to select a WSU player, Ragland would get my vote. Of course, I admit that I am colored by the way that Stutz performed (or the lack thereof) in both of the games against CU.

WSU would find it harder to replace Stutz than Ragland if one was injuried. Stutz playing well through most of the season actually has opened things up for Ragland to have some big game late.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » February 25th, 2012, 7:55 am

sixth ace wrote:

C'mon dude, drop the "woe is me" act.

After the UE/Creighton game, Creighton fans couldn't say enough good things about Colt Ryan. We held him down in Evansville (2-14 if I recall correctly), but he went off in a record setting way in Omaha.

Personally, I thought he was incredible and is no doubt a first teamer. Not POY this year, but a damn good player.

(BTW, on the old ValleyTalk board, I sang the praises of Shy Ely as well....)
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball