Shockers at Bluejays on Saturday ESPN2

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Shockers at Bluejays on Saturday ESPN2

Postby JaysOnJays » February 12th, 2012, 4:02 pm

I don't know what to say. I felt when we were playing well two weeks ago that we were a top 10 team. Now it feels like we don't deserve to be in the tournament. With that all said I do think that we can snap out of this funk and start playing like we have been all year. At least I hope so...
JaysOnJays
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Aargh » February 12th, 2012, 4:07 pm

valleychamp wrote:Welcome to the patented late season McDermott meltdown, bluejay fans.

I wasn''t aware that McDermott had a history of late-season slumps. If he does, let's add that to some known things and some observations. McDermott said the team was tired before this game. The Jays definitely looked tired in this game. Could it be that McDermott's teams run out of gas late in the season?

If it's being observed at two places where McDermott coached, that his teams run out of gas, maybe he isn't as adamant about conditioning s some other coaches. Compared to what I saw of the Jays earlier in the season, they look a step slow and gassed.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kyle » February 12th, 2012, 4:43 pm

UNI fans are well aware of the late season McDermott meltdown. We faced it every February and March.

Conditioning might be a factor, but the biggest issue is the MPG from the top guys, especially the younger players. Having multiple key players averaging 30+ MPG is a recipe for late season collapses.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bluejays89 » February 12th, 2012, 5:21 pm

Kentucky has four players averaging more than 30 minutes a game and they seem to do just fine. Major problem is Gibbs having two bad/sore knees, Manigat hurting his knee after the Drake game and McDermott playing a lot of basketball since the summer.

When shots are not falling then energy level is poor, and to give WSU credit after every attempt of getting the momentum back in the second half they answered with a tough shot.

Creighton might need a lineup switch to get the momentum back because when Manigat is not hitting shots then he really is a liability out there. My hopeful lineup would include: Chatman, Young, Gibbs, McDermott, and Gregory E.

Shockers play like that in the tournament I would not be surprised to see them play past the second week.
bluejays89
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Aargh » February 12th, 2012, 8:06 pm

Manigat has a history of playing well against WSU. I thought he was a real stud after watching his first couple of games against WSU. Then I discovered that he was pretty much a streaky shooter and that was about the extent of his game. He just had always been on a hot streak against WSU.

When his shots aren't falling, he's just taking up a spot on the floor. That's happened to WSU a couple of times this year. Against CU in Wichita and at Drake. Streaky shooters win their share of games and are liabilities from time to time.

One thing I was thinking before this game was that if Manigat had an off game, that might open the door for the Shox.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » February 12th, 2012, 8:09 pm

bluejays89 wrote:Kentucky has four players averaging more than 30 minutes a game and they seem to do just fine. Major problem is Gibbs having two bad/sore knees, Manigat hurting his knee after the Drake game and McDermott playing a lot of basketball since the summer.

When shots are not falling then energy level is poor, and to give WSU credit after every attempt of getting the momentum back in the second half they answered with a tough shot.

Creighton might need a lineup switch to get the momentum back because when Manigat is not hitting shots then he really is a liability out there. My hopeful lineup would include: Chatman, Young, Gibbs, McDermott, and Gregory E.

Shockers play like that in the tournament I would not be surprised to see them play past the second week.

Difference is Kentucky's 5th best player is still just as good as Doug....Put them in the Valley and they put up the same type of numbers as Doug.

The players Kentucky have are a completely different bread of player.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby LanceShock » February 13th, 2012, 8:27 am

uniftw wrote:
bluejays89 wrote:Kentucky has four players averaging more than 30 minutes a game and they seem to do just fine. Major problem is Gibbs having two bad/sore knees, Manigat hurting his knee after the Drake game and McDermott playing a lot of basketball since the summer.

Difference is Kentucky's 5th best player is still just as good as Doug....Put them in the Valley and they put up the same type of numbers as Doug.

Then how do you explain Missouri State last year? Much like Creighton, they put a few guys out there to rack up a lot of minutes and were able to keep going.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby beatingrillz » February 13th, 2012, 11:55 am

LanceShock wrote:
uniftw wrote:

Then how do you explain Missouri State last year? Much like Creighton
, they put a few guys out there to rack up a lot of minutes and were able to keep going.

That Bears team atleast played D when shots don't fall you gotta have D and CU has never even heard of defense. To think CU is an Anthony Downing jumper from being in 3rd place.
beatingrillz
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Haha » February 13th, 2012, 12:31 pm

beatingrillz wrote:To think CU is an Anthony Downing jumper from being in 3rd place.

Oh brother...what are you a closet Evansville fan. Almost and only if, etc.

Last season MSU had plenty of last second drama. Does that mean they really weren't the best team last year? No of course not because over the course of the season thats going to happen. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. CU is in second place, easily. So why are we "thinking" about a missed jumper?
Haha
All MVC
All MVC

Postby beatingrillz » February 13th, 2012, 12:43 pm

Haha wrote:
beatingrillz wrote:To think CU is an Anthony Downing jumper from being in 3rd place.

Oh brother...what are you a closet Evansville fan. Almost and only if, etc.

Last season MSU had plenty of last second drama. Does that mean they really weren't the best team last year? No of course not because over the course of the season thats going to happen. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. CU is in second place, easily. So why are we "thinking" about a missed jumper?

Easily? The reason that jumper would matter is if it goes in CU is in 3rd. I realize it is an "if" but the fact remain. Also, MSU had 2 games they lost by 1 point, CU has 2 double digit losses at home this years CU would get mopped by last years MSU team.
beatingrillz
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball