Murray State loses

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Murray State loses

Postby pafan » February 9th, 2012, 10:29 pm

It would be hard for the committee to deny a team with at most 3 losses (one of those in the Conference tournament) a seed, no matter how bad their conference. But I've got to think that a three loss Murray team is going to be sent to a #12 seed and a play-in game.

They were a 7, now they're a 9.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ShockJones » February 9th, 2012, 10:33 pm

pafan wrote:It would be hard for the committee to deny a team with at most 3 losses (one of those in the Conference tournament) a seed, no matter how bad their conference. But I've got to think that a three loss Murray team is going to be sent to a #12 seed and a play-in game.

I would agree. Let's say they lose to St. Mary's and in their tourney championship. Their RPI is probably in the 60's to 70's. That is a 12-seed play-in game at best.
ShockJones
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby TylerDurden » February 9th, 2012, 11:05 pm

ShockJones wrote:
pafan wrote:It would be hard for the committee to deny a team with at most 3 losses (one of those in the Conference tournament) a seed, no matter how bad their conference. But I've got to think that a three loss Murray team is going to be sent to a #12 seed and a play-in game.

I would agree. Let's say they lose to St. Mary's and in their tourney championship. Their RPI is probably in the 60's to 70's. That is a 12-seed play-in game at best.

If they have an RPI in the 60s and don't win their conference tournament, they aren't getting in.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » February 9th, 2012, 11:06 pm

Aces1982 wrote:
MVCfans wrote:Are they on the bubble now? Will they be if they lose to St. Mary's?

No and no. They could lose in the OVC Championship game and still get in, IMO.

3 losses and they are on the bubble. 4 losses and they don't make the tournament.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RoyalShock » February 10th, 2012, 11:06 am

Remember, Murray State's RPI doesn't have any bearing on their at-large resume. The RPI of the team's they've played do. Their top-50 wins and 150+ losses are the key numbers. Now, a team with just 2 or 3 losses on a long season may look pretty good to committee no matter how strong their schedule is. But when it gets closer to selection Sunday, compare their good wins and bad losses to other bubble teams to see how they match up.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby shockerengr » February 10th, 2012, 11:27 am

RoyalShock wrote:Remember, Murray State's RPI doesn't have any bearing on their at-large resume. The RPI of the team's they've played do. Their top-50 wins and 150+ losses are the key numbers. Now, a team with just 2 or 3 losses on a long season may look pretty good to committee no matter how strong their schedule is. But when it gets closer to selection Sunday, compare their good wins and bad losses to other bubble teams to see how they match up.

While true, part of the issue is they have very few good wins, they've only played 3 teams in the top 100, 1 game against 100-150, 5 against 150-200, and 12 against RPI 200+

outside of St. Mary's, the best RPI game left on their schedule is still outside 150..trip in any of those and it's more bad losses.

What will keep them on the bubble is 2-0 vs the top 25 rpi. Losing to St Mary's by itself won't hurt their chances for an at-large....but any other losses will. And they'll have at least one more bad loss if they don't win their conference tourney.
shockerengr
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby MSUDuo » February 10th, 2012, 11:44 am

RoyalShock,

Then shouldn't UNI still be in the discussion? I mean they are 3 spots behind Murray State at 55 and have more top50 wins. Granted they also have a "worse" bad loss.

Or does Murray simply stay in this discussion because they are ranked and just now received their first loss?
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Aargh » February 10th, 2012, 12:18 pm

I thought Murray WAS the most overrated BB home team. That's why I was hoping the Shox would get a shot at them. I thought it would be a relatively easy road win over a ranked team. St. Mary's will still get a relatively easy win, but after that, it will be over a "previously ranked" team.

St. Mary's lost last night, too. Their loss was to Gonzaga, which isn't a bad loss at all. A little of the luster is gone from ESPN's intended "blockbuster" BB game.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » February 10th, 2012, 1:02 pm

In the 03-04 season, Utah State was left home after losing in the championship game of their conference tourney at 25-3.

Murray State is in a LOT of trouble if they lose to St. Mary's. A LOT of trouble.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Khan4Cats » February 10th, 2012, 2:12 pm

2livewu wrote:In the 03-04 season, Utah State was left home after losing in the championship game of their conference tourney at 25-3.

Murray State is in a LOT of trouble if they lose to St. Mary's. A LOT of trouble.

I agree they may be sweating, but there are those additional games right now. They show some competition in a loss to St. Mary's and only lose in the semis or championship of their conference, they probably get in. Get blown away by St. Mary's and lose early in the OVC tourney, much bigger concerns.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball