Bulldogs chill with Obama

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Bulldogs chill with Obama

Postby MoValley John » October 4th, 2010, 5:10 pm

45otseoj wrote:I didn't know getting a chance to meet the President of the United States was a partisan issue.

I don't think it is. That said, holding a shin dig for the President in your back yard becomes political and partisan. It can rub people wrong. To host a reception at the school or in any other public place would have been one thing, but to host a political photo op in your own back yard is another. I think everyone, Republican or Democrat, would be honored to meet a sitting president, but hosting a defacto political event in your back yard means you have chosen sides and could alienate some of your boosters. It would irritate some Drake alumni that are Democrats should the same exact event have taken place with a Republican president.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby unipanther99 » October 4th, 2010, 6:32 pm

bigdawg wrote:I'm not an Obama fan, but it's hard to hold it against anyone for wanting to meet the President. The issue I have is that Iowa gets all the attention is does for national politics when there are certainly areas in greater need of focus that are overlooked. Why we allow Iowa and NH to play the role they do should probably be a little more closely analyzed.

I'm way biased, but I think Iowa's first in the nation status is a great thing for the country. It's inexpensive to campaign here, so it doesn't limit the field to only the mega rich. Iowans take their responsibility seriously, and by and large, seem better informed than Americans at large (understanding there are several very well informed people posting on this board from outside of the Hawkeye state).

Also, both parties have added South Carolina and Nevada to the "early" list, allowing for a little more of a diverse population to get their say early on.

My first job out of college was working for a presidential candidate during the 1999-2000 Iowa Caucus season. It nearly killed me, but it was an experience that I will never forget, and has impacted my life in a big way.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Snaggletooth » October 4th, 2010, 7:57 pm

unipanther99 wrote: Iowans take their responsibility seriously, and by and large, seem better informed than Americans at large (understanding there are several very well informed people posting on this board from outside of the Hawkeye state)

So well informed that they gave John Edwards 30% of the vote in 2008. Plus they do a "Caucus" - which is more of function of how strong a particular group is for a specific candidate.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » October 4th, 2010, 8:10 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:
unipanther99 wrote: Iowans take their responsibility seriously, and by and large, seem better informed than Americans at large (understanding there are several very well informed people posting on this board from outside of the Hawkeye state)

So well informed that they gave John Edwards 30% of the vote in 2008. Plus they do a "Caucus" - which is more of function of how strong a particular group is for a specific candidate.

Iowans are well informed, but don't have ESP. The sex scandal wasn't yet public. Edwards was polling a strong third nationally, so I didn't see his 30% as a big shock. The big news was Obama's early victory. Anyway, I was caucusing across the hall, so I can't really speak to the Edwards issue.

The Democrats caucus differently than the Republicans. With the Republicans, it's basically a state-wide straw poll, with raw vote totals added up across the state. The Democrats do this "viability" thing, where there is horsetrading for votes when your candidate is no longer "viable."
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby MVCfans » October 4th, 2010, 8:12 pm

unipanther99 wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:

Iowans are well informed, but don't have ESP. The sex scandal wasn't yet public. Edwards was polling a strong third nationally, so I didn't see his 30% as a big shock. The big news was Obama's early victory. Anyway, I was caucusing across the hall, so I can't really speak to the Edwards issue.

The Democrats caucus differently than the Republicans. With the Republicans, it's basically a state-wide straw poll, with raw vote totals added up across the state. The Democrats do this "viability" thing, where there is horsetrading for votes when your candidate is no longer "viable."

Dammit... I should have had a prediction caucus on the board because that would have been a much better indicator of who people really want to win :roll:
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby DUBulldog » October 4th, 2010, 8:29 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:

I've lived in Iowa for 34 years now....and still don't really know what a caucus is.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ali » October 4th, 2010, 8:59 pm

A caucus is a really poor way of determining anything. If you don't agree with one of the larger groups you basically don't exist. If you were a Dodd supporter, you would have had to decide between Obama and Hilary because they were the only ones viable. One group might have better snacks and persuade you to their group with that while the other might have a cute babe wink at you. It's rather ridiculous.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby unipanther99 » October 4th, 2010, 10:44 pm

You have to admit, it makes for great 24 hour news channel theater when they have a live camera in the basement of some small country church and the national commentators are trying to figure out who is going to get their lone delegate, and meanwhile a 45 minute discussion about adding a hog lot ordinance to the party platform is being discussed.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby goUEaces » October 7th, 2010, 7:08 am

unipanther99 wrote:You have to admit, it makes for great 24 hour news channel theater when they have a live camera in the basement of some small country church and the national commentators are trying to figure out who is going to get their lone delegate, and meanwhile a 45 minute discussion about adding a hog lot ordinance to the party platform is being discussed.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
goUEaces
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball