Drake student paper calls for firing Phelps

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby DUBulldog » February 10th, 2012, 12:15 pm

http://timesdelphic.com/2012/02/08/the-annual-bulldogs-basketball-january-tease

The part about his record first time through the league vs second time through is very damning. It would seem to show a lack of ability to make adjustments, as other teams are adjusting to you.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Drake student paper calls for firing Phelps

Postby shocktheheart » February 10th, 2012, 12:21 pm

DUBulldog wrote:http://timesdelphic.com/2012/02/08/the-annual-bulldogs-basketball-january-tease

The part about his record first time through the league vs second time through is very damning. It would seem to show a lack of ability to make adjustments, as other teams are adjusting to you.

Wow good article and has the stats to prove his point. What do you think the Drake administration will do with Phelps at the end of the year?
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » February 10th, 2012, 12:25 pm

Letting Simons get mono is a really bad coaching move. Fire his a$$.

If not for injuries and illness, DU would seem to be solidly in the hunt for 3rd. That's WAY better than anyone expected from DU in the pre-season.

I'm not a DU fan, but it looks to me like Phelps is doing a reasonable job. If Simons was still healthy, I think DU would be in the hunt for 3rd. Add in VanDeest and DU looks solid for 3rd. Isn't there yet another player injured?
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » February 10th, 2012, 12:33 pm

Aargh wrote:I'm not a DU fan, but it looks to me like Phelps is doing a reasonable job. If Simons was still healthy, I think DU would be in the hunt for 3rd. Add in VanDeest and DU looks solid for 3rd. Isn't there yet another player injured?

He took over a team that had won 28 games the season before he took over. He didn't inherit a complete rebuilding job. He's in his 4th year, and has yet to win more than 7 games in an MVC season, and has yet to avoid the Thursday play-in game.

Would any other MVC school accept that? I understand about the injuries this year.....3 guys (including 2 starters) out for the year + a devastating late season illness. But, it's about more than just this season. I might be willing to give him a mulligan on this season due to the injuries/illnesses.

But, 19-17 the first time through the league vs 8-24 the second time through says something about adjustments, or the lack thereof.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Haha » February 10th, 2012, 12:55 pm

He took over a team that lost Adam Eme-something a rather. Also he took over a team that hadn't really won outside of that one year in a long long time.

Did he recruit Rice? Did he recruit the big guy thats hurt? Did he recruit kissing crazy Ben?

Geez I don't get some Drake fans, the 28 win season was an abnormal season, it was NOT the norm. So why is that the standard you hold against this coach?

He seems to be building up something descent there. Why not wait till after next year. Seems like Drake will be battling at the top next season.

EDIT:

Now that I think about it I hope they do fire him. Maybe a few key transfers out, maybe a lost recruiting season. Then thats one extra team WSU will not have to worry about next season. Because as of right now thats one of the teams I'm confident WSU will finish behind in the standings next year.
Haha
All MVC
All MVC

Postby valleychamp » February 10th, 2012, 1:11 pm

Haha wrote:He took over a team that lost Adam Eme-something a rather. Also he took over a team that hadn't really won outside of that one year in a long long time.

Did he recruit Rice? Did he recruit the big guy thats hurt? Did he recruit kissing crazy Ben?

Geez I don't get some Drake fans, the 28 win season was an abnormal season, it was NOT the norm. So why is that the standard you hold against this coach?

He seems to be building up something descent there. Why not wait till after next year. Seems like Drake will be battling at the top next season.

EDIT:

Now that I think about it I hope they do fire him. Maybe a few key transfers out, maybe a lost recruiting season. Then thats one extra team WSU will not have to worry about next season. Because as of right now thats one of the teams I'm confident WSU will finish behind in the standings next year.

They have been terrible for a long time, so therefore, they should just "be happy" with sub-par results? Thats BS.

I don't think the frustrated Drake fans are expecting anything near 28 wins. But I don't think its too much to ask to at least get them out of the bottom 4, which is where they could potentially be headed for a 4th consecutive year.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » February 10th, 2012, 1:15 pm

Haha wrote:He took over a team that lost Adam Eme-something a rather. Also he took over a team that hadn't really won outside of that one year in a long long time.

Yes, Phelps recruited all of the above players. Drake fans, almost unanimously, are happy with Phelps' recruiting.

Drake fans realize the 28 win season was an anomaly, and there isn't a single Drake fan who is holding Phelps to that standard. I'm not sure where you come up with that statement.

While it's true that Drake lost 3 starters from the 2007-08 team, Phelps also inherited 2 preseason first-team all-conference players. Nobody in the Drake fan base expected another Top 20 season with 28 wins. However, Drake fans did expect to finish .500 in conference play, and certainly didn't expect to be playing on Thursday night. Phelps' record has gotten worse every season, although it will probably be slightly improved this season.

Still, the 19-17 record the first time through the league shows that his teams have had enough talent to compete in the league. The 8-24 record the second time through shows a lack of ability to adjust as the season goes on.

If you are saying that Drake has traditionally had poor teams, and therefore the fans should be okay with having poor teams, then I will just have to respectfully disagree with you.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DUBulldog » February 10th, 2012, 1:15 pm

valleychamp wrote:

EDIT:

They have been terrible for a long time, so therefore, they should just "be happy" with sub-par results? Thats BS.

I don't think the frustrated Drake fans are expecting anything near 28 wins. But I don't think its too much to ask to at least get them out of the bottom 4, which is where they could potentially be headed for a 4th consecutive year.

Thank you. It looks like you posted your response while I was typing mine. You hit the nail on the head.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Red » February 10th, 2012, 1:43 pm

Aargh wrote:Letting Simons get mono is a really bad coaching move. Fire his a$$.

If not for injuries and illness, DU would seem to be solidly in the hunt for 3rd. That's WAY better than anyone expected from DU in the pre-season.

I'm not a DU fan, but it looks to me like Phelps is doing a reasonable job. If Simons was still healthy, I think DU would be in the hunt for 3rd. Add in VanDeest and DU looks solid for 3rd. Isn't there yet another player injured?

Drake was sort of the surprise of the Valley until the last couple of weeks and maybe the schedule played into that some. But DU returns most players and I would sure give him another year consider all the injuries they had to overcome.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DUBulldog » February 10th, 2012, 1:59 pm

Red wrote:
Aargh wrote:Letting Simons get mono is a really bad coaching move. Fire his a$$.

Drake was sort of the surprise of the Valley until the last couple of weeks and maybe the schedule played into that some. But DU returns most players and I would sure give him another year consider all the injuries they had to overcome.

I wouldn't be dead set against giving Phelps another season. Drake returns 6 starters next year (all 5 from this year, + Seth Van Deest who was a 2-year starter before getting hurt before this season). They will also add Reece Uhlenhopp back into the mix plus 3 solid recruits coming in.

But, I also understand the sentiments of those who want him gone now. If he doesn't show significant progress next season, then it is clear he's in over his head.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball