Drake student paper calls for firing Phelps

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Drake student paper calls for firing Phelps

Postby getreal4 » February 10th, 2012, 5:34 pm

And, what Valleychamp and I are both saying is that no Drake fans are using the 28-4 season as a standard. 4 years of Phelps, 4 years of Thursday play (probably). As Drake fans, we expect more than that. We don't expect 28-4. But, there is a whole lot of space between where Phelps has been at and 28-4. We want somewhere in the middle.

As mentioned, Phelps started at Drake with good returning talent, significantly underperformed and we tried to understand and be patient. Top of the Valley recruiting classes, we've tried to hang in, waiting for that talent to be developed and molded into a good basketball team. Reality has set in, Phelps has recruited some real MVC talent, but other than a couple of heroic January home efforts, the on court performance has remained play in MVC level. We have yet to see a Drake team improve late in a season under Phelps. Consensus among us oldtimers after every season is the bulldogs underperformed after January. May not be fair to lay it all on Phelps, but watching other teams improve while our team peaks in January is extremely frustrating.

Drake went through 40 years of wait until next year philosophy before the Keno miracle season. Only another 36 yrs to go this time.... :?
getreal4
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby pafan » February 10th, 2012, 9:05 pm

When did student newspapers start writing stores not involving pot, sex or press releases from the administration?

Regardless, I'm all for Drake keeping Phelps.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby MSUDuo » February 10th, 2012, 11:58 pm

Why should they wait until next year?

He has yet to keep his team out of the play-in game. Like DU has said, Drake fans aren't expecting 24 wins every year. No Valley teams are. But to expect him to keep a 24 win team out of the play-in the following year is more than reasonable. His record against the Valley the second time through speaks more volume than his recruiting ability in my opinion...
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby DoubleJayAlum » February 11th, 2012, 9:04 am

I see decent arguments on both sides - I have no problem if Drake cans him and I have no problem if they give him one more year to prove himself.

If he is canned, I bet he finds an assistant job in days if he wants one. The guy is a recruiting machine. If the Jays had an assistant's position open up, I'd take Phelps in a heartbeat.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby getreal4 » February 11th, 2012, 5:45 pm

Drake AD should be fired first.

Current AD made the hiring mistake 4 years ago. We need an AD who knows something about D1 mens's basketball and committed to their own neck on the line for the next coach.
getreal4
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Haha » February 11th, 2012, 6:33 pm

I still think DU just holds off 1 more year. I really think Drake is going to have a very nice season next year.

Granted if you could boot him, get an new D1 experienced coach, keep all the key players from transferring, and get the players use to the new system...then they could be good and fire Phelps before next year.

If he sucks again next year, well it sucks to lose one more season but I think there is too much to risk 4 years in with what is obviously right there on the horizon next season.
Haha
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DUBulldog » February 11th, 2012, 7:02 pm

Haha wrote:I still think DU just holds off 1 more year. I really think Drake is going to have a very nice season next year.

I hope you're right. The pieces are certainly there.

One thing I should have pointed out from the beginning of this thread. There is almost zero chance that Drake's administration is considering making a change after this season.

More likely to be replacing the women's coach.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dsmbulldog » February 11th, 2012, 8:59 pm

For those who think that Drake was heading for a finish in the upper half, I'll point out that even with Simons, the Bulldogs had lost 3 of 4 before his sickness. And sure, having all those nice pieces next year sounds great on paper, but they're worth a lot less than that with a coach who has no clue how to utilize their talents and insists on jamming square pegs into round holes. I personally don't see what they have to lose by ridding themselves of Phelps-I have seen no reason to expect next season will be any better even with everyone back from injury and with another year under their belt. Who are they likely to lose by firing Phelps? Rice is more likely to transfer if Phelps stays than if he goes, and most of his other recruits will be upperclassmen, which makes it less likely any of them would leave.

To the Creighton fan admiring Phelps' recruiting skills, Kareem Richardson (now at Xavier) was a bigger reason behind those highly rated-recruiting classes than Phelps.
dsmbulldog
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Ace Dad » February 11th, 2012, 9:50 pm

getreal4 wrote:Drake AD should be fired first.

Current AD made the hiring mistake 4 years ago. We need an AD who knows something about D1 mens's basketball and committed to their own neck on the line for the next coach.

Getreal4, "Get Real", there is more to being a college AD than hiring the basketball coach. Hirings are important, I understand, but cmon................
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby getreal4 » February 11th, 2012, 11:30 pm

Yes, the AD's job at Drake is a bit more complex than only hiring a BB coach. really helps to have good cheerleading skills! :roll: :o
getreal4
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball