Drake student paper calls for firing Phelps

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Drake student paper calls for firing Phelps

Postby Drakey » February 12th, 2012, 11:43 am

Those posters not affiliated with Drake really have no idea how clueless Phelps appears to be as a coach. This team should be battling for the conference title NOW. Whether Simons had contracted Mono or not, this team was going nowhere but Thursday night. The Bulldogs have NO offense. Anybody can play zone and shut them down completely. I have not looked, but I'd be willing to bet Drake is last in the Valley in assists. The only way to score on this team is to beat your man one on one or one on three, depending on the defense.

It is not impossible for a Phelps coached team to win games, it just requires that your players be superior to, or at least play better than their opponents at every position.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby pafan » February 12th, 2012, 4:14 pm

Drakey wrote:Those posters not affiliated with Drake really have no idea how clueless Phelps appears to be as a coach. This team should be battling for the conference title NOW. Whether Simons had contracted Mono or not, this team was going nowhere but Thursday night. The Bulldogs have NO offense. Anybody can play zone and shut them down completely. I have not looked, but I'd be willing to bet Drake is last in the Valley in assists.

Two things:
a) Evansville doesn't play zone. Sometimes fans wish they did.

b) You're right.
Season statistics (all games; not counting today's MSU/BU game)
#1 Creighton - 18.4 assists / gm
#2 Evansville - 15.7 assists / gm
#9 Bradley - 11.1 assists / gm
#10. Drake - 10.4 assists / gm
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby Ace Dad » February 12th, 2012, 9:42 pm

Phelps has the most wins in the first 4-5 seasons of any previous Drake coach. He gets another year. The student needs to go back to class.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » February 12th, 2012, 9:44 pm

Ace Dad wrote:Phelps has the most wins in the first 4-5 seasons of any previous Drake coach. He gets another year. The student needs to go back to class.

But, let me ask you this. You've seen DU handle UE twice this season.....once (tonight) without their best player. Given what you've seen of DU, are your surprised that their conference/overall record isn't better?
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ace Dad » February 12th, 2012, 10:00 pm

DUBulldog wrote:
Ace Dad wrote:Phelps has the most wins in the first 4-5 seasons of any previous Drake coach. He gets another year. The student needs to go back to class.

But, let me ask you this. You've seen DU handle UE twice this season.....once (tonight) without their best player. Given what you've seen of DU, are your surprised that their conference/overall record isn't better?

We lost 4 games by one possession. One possession. One possession. Our record could be better. Here is the deal:

There is parity in the Valley and it depends on if your shots are falling or not. If Creighton has an average shooting night against us, we lose. Plain and simple. The Jays are better than us. Drake is a tough match up for us on the perimeter and guarding your slashers. Plus, you do have some size. We will get exposed if Colt has a bad night or 2-3 players do not compensate.

There is parity in the Valley.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Drakey » February 12th, 2012, 10:03 pm

I think DUBulldog meant aren't you surprised that DRAKE's record is not better.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ace Dad » February 12th, 2012, 10:28 pm

Drakey wrote:I think DUBulldog meant aren't you surprised that DRAKE's record is not better.

Yes. Just like I am surprised that UE's record is not better. I learned a long time ago that a basketball conference typically breaks out with a couple of very good teams, many good teams, and a couple of teams that will have a bad season. A team that finishes 6th could have easily finised 3rd or 4th, depending on how the breaks go.

Parity in the Valley.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball