SIU at Indiana State - 12pm

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: SIU at Indiana State - 12pm

Postby PantherSigEp » February 14th, 2012, 4:16 pm

This wouldn't be an argument if the MVC could get to a point where winning the regular season makes you a lock for the NCAA's anyways. Hopefully Wichita breaks it this year because I'm struggling to remember the last regular season winner who made the dance (but didn't win the Arch Madness).

I think it was Southern Illinois in the 06-07 season but if they won the tourney that year (because they definitely won the regular season), then I know it was Wichita State the previous season. I watched them lose to Illinois St. or Bradley on Saturday that year but they made a Sweet 16 run before running into that unreal Final Four George Mason team.

Anyone know for sure?
Last edited by PantherSigEp on February 14th, 2012, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » February 14th, 2012, 4:24 pm

Not sure who the last team was that won the regular season but didn't win in St. Louis, but I know that last year was the first time in over a decade that the regular season winner DIDN'T make the NCAA.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » February 14th, 2012, 6:21 pm

Wufan wrote:Not sure who the last team was that won the regular season but didn't win in St. Louis, but I know that last year was the first time in over a decade that the regular season winner DIDN'T make the NCAA.

Well I know UNI and Drake won both the MVC regular season and MVCT the previous 3 years, but Creighton tied for the league title in 08-09 with UNI and was then sent to the NIT.

After looking back a few years it looks like SIU had a nasty problem of losing in the MVCT (particularly to Creighton) after winning the regular season. They still made the NCAA's each year however, really hope the Valley gets back to that point where it's NOT win in STL or go home, I hate getting just 1 bid.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » February 14th, 2012, 6:34 pm

NeutralObserver wrote:Which would you rather have if you can't have both?

:huh:

The argument is not about preferences.

The argument is about which team is the conference champion.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » February 14th, 2012, 7:14 pm

Indiana State starts the second half with 3 three pointers. Sycs lead 41-36.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball