meistro
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Re: SIU at Indiana State - 12pm

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby bluejays89 » February 13th, 2012, 4:15 pm

FearDaTrees wrote:No joke, what a dumb comment. This team won the MVC last year and you wanna pencil them in for 10th the next 4 years!? Just a dumb comment. All teams go through bad stretches at some point in time. A team that beats Vanderbilt on the road isn't going to be a 10 seed at any point in time. Not to mention we have a PG who has been playing with an injury the entire season and still is one of about 5 players in the country to average 10+ pts 5 reb 5 ast a game. Not to mention some pretty good recruits coming in next year and Manny Arop a Gonzaga transfer.

Regular Season Champion = League Champion
Tournament Champion = Auto-bid into NCAA Tournament.

Three days of basketball does not mean your league champion, you did win when it mattered though.
bluejays89
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby beatingrillz » February 13th, 2012, 5:37 pm

meistro wrote:This beatingirls guy sounds like a real douche bag

Why thank you, if there is any argument to why ISU will be better I would love to hear it.
beatingrillz
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby PantherSigEp » February 13th, 2012, 6:29 pm

bluejays89 wrote:
FearDaTrees wrote:No joke, what a dumb comment. This team won the MVC last year and you wanna pencil them in for 10th the next 4 years!? Just a dumb comment. All teams go through bad stretches at some point in time. A team that beats Vanderbilt on the road isn't going to be a 10 seed at any point in time. Not to mention we have a PG who has been playing with an injury the entire season and still is one of about 5 players in the country to average 10+ pts 5 reb 5 ast a game. Not to mention some pretty good recruits coming in next year and Manny Arop a Gonzaga transfer.

Regular Season Champion = League Champion
Tournament Champion = Auto-bid into NCAA Tournament.

Three days of basketball does not mean your league champion, you did win when it mattered though.

I have to agree with all of that post although if it were UNI that had gotten hot in St. Louis last year and received the auto-bid I would consider them the defending "champs". I think all of us probably would.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby beatingrillz » February 13th, 2012, 6:48 pm

Why would we consider UNI defending champs? They finished behind ISUb.
beatingrillz
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Hail Our Panthers » February 13th, 2012, 6:50 pm

Beat me to it. UNI was in no way the best team last year..they would not be considered the defending champs had they come up with a flukey run in early March last year
Hail Our Panthers
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby PantherSigEp » February 13th, 2012, 7:00 pm

Perhaps you both missed the fact that it was a hypothetical and that every fanbase is going to consider their team "the champs" if the win Arch Madness despite the fact that is only "half" true and you are tournament champs and receive the auto-bid, but are not actually the MVC Champions.

Are you following the logic? I wouldn't doubt that I wasn't very clear the first time around. I was simply stating my understanding as to why some Indiana State fans believe they are the defending MVC champs and used my own team as an example.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby NeutralObserver » February 14th, 2012, 1:08 pm

What do you get for winning the regular season? A trophy and a ticket to the N.I.T. (unless an at-large NCAA bid).

What do you get for winning the conference tournament? A trophy and a ticket to THE BIG DANCE.

Which would you rather have if you can't have both?

:huh:
NeutralObserver
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby glm38 » February 14th, 2012, 2:50 pm

NeutralObserver wrote:What do you get for winning the regular season? A trophy and a ticket to the N.I.T. (unless an at-large NCAA bid).

What do you get for winning the conference tournament? A trophy and a ticket to THE BIG DANCE.

Obviously if you can only have one of the 2 then most players, coaches, and fans would prefer the conference tournament since it includes the big dance.

But that doesn't make them (the winners of the conference tourney) the best team. I think it's pretty obvious the best team is the one that wins the most games over the course of the regular season. And I'd say the same thing if the roles were reversed and ISUb had won the reg season and MSU had won the tournament.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » February 14th, 2012, 3:02 pm

glm38 wrote:
NeutralObserver wrote:What do you get for winning the regular season? A trophy and a ticket to the N.I.T. (unless an at-large NCAA bid).

Obviously if you can only have one of the 2 then most players, coaches, and fans would prefer the conference tournament since it includes the big dance.

But that doesn't make them (the winners of the conference tourney) the best team. I think it's pretty obvious the best team is the one that wins the most games over the course of the regular season. And I'd say the same thing if the roles were reversed and ISUb had won the reg season and MSU had won the tournament.

:+1:
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball