Coach of the Year predictions

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Coach of the Year predictions

Postby Haha » February 12th, 2012, 9:30 am

bleach wrote:Jank, Lusk, and Marty have all done more with less. Clearly Greggs team has performed the best.
I have never favored giving the coach with the most returning from the year before COY.

sometimes I wonder...

Jank: Has been at ISUR just as long as Marshall at WSU. Recruiting is part of coaching and both are coaching what they recruited, so not sure how Jank is above Marshall in your eyes.

Lusk: Outside of winning at CU what has MSU done exactly that is better than expected? Sure they are in 3rd but they are also 8-6 and probably finish 10-8. Ok thats pretty descent but they do have the reigning POY and the one thing I can think of Lusk doing that exceeded an expectation going into a game was winning in Omaha. Well Marshall did it too but by a much more dominate performance.

It will be interesting watching MSU next year. Losing Weems and Patterson will be big. If Lusk takes 3rd next year I will be more impressed than this year.

Marshall: These are all his players and they are 13-2, including 7-1 on the fricking road in the valley. Barring a meltdown it's his to lose.

BTW bleach, if WSU is picked 6th next season (which is where I think they probably will be) and WSU somehow finishes 3rd can we count on you pimping Marshall for COY?
Haha
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » February 12th, 2012, 9:45 am

In my opinion all the teams are about where I expected they would be. No one is far out performing their preseason expectations. That means it goes to Marshall because his team will win the league. Until recently you could argue WSU had the best team and was sort of underperforming (in fact I am still confused how they lost to Drake), but recently they are no doubt dominating.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » February 12th, 2012, 11:35 am

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:In my opinion all the teams are about where I expected they would be. No one is far out performing their preseason expectations. That means it goes to Marshall because his team will win the league. Until recently you could argue WSU had the best team and was sort of underperforming (in fact I am still confused how they lost to Drake), but recently they are no doubt dominating.

An honest question; why would you say WSU was underperforming? There have been a few UNI posters that have been saying that WSU underperformed under Marshall. Last year we lost to a good MSU team and a hot ISU team in StLou. What about this year? We've lost 1 road game and one home game. Two neutral site losses to top 50 RPI teams. We've one some close games on the road, but also won 5 conference games by 20 to 40 points.

This league is too good to get thru it with only 2 or 3 losses.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bleach » February 12th, 2012, 1:16 pm

Wufan wrote:You do realize that the Shockers lost three starters, 30 ppg and 20 rebounds per game from last year? They lost their starting center, their starting and back-up PF, and their starting SF. The Shockers have gone 13-2 thus far with Toure Murry and a bunch of (very good) role players. If nothing else, HCGM deserves some praise for player development.

What happens if next year the Shockers finish 11-7? Will you be singing the praises of Marshall for finishing mid-pack with one returning starter?

Even Shock fans last year stated they had 2 starting lineups good enough to win the league.
If Gregg stays and finishes anywhere in the top 4 next year, it will be a much greater coaching job than winning the league this year.
Marshall will win it this year.....I just don't think he is coach of the year.
By the way, I thought Lansing was COY last year.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Shox21 » February 12th, 2012, 1:25 pm

If I had to vote right now, I would say Marshall. But as I said on Shockernet, I'm just a tad biased. There are three conference games left, and that means there are three teams that could still play the role of spoiler for us. One thing that is assured about The Valley -- you can't be assured of anything.
Shox21
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby GarH » February 12th, 2012, 1:31 pm

MVCfans wrote:It's Marshall. You can start engraving his name now.

Absolutely
GarH
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby achrist70 » February 12th, 2012, 1:51 pm

It is Marshall, not even close.
achrist70
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby bleach » February 12th, 2012, 2:59 pm

Haha wrote:
bleach wrote:Jank, Lusk, and Marty have all done more with less. Clearly Greggs team has performed the best.
I have never favored giving the coach with the most returning from the year before COY.

sometimes I wonder...

Jank: Has been at ISUR just as long as Marshall at WSU. Recruiting is part of coaching and both are coaching what they recruited, so not sure how Jank is above Marshall in your eyes.

Lusk: Outside of winning at CU what has MSU done exactly that is better than expected? Sure they are in 3rd but they are also 8-6 and probably finish 10-8. Ok thats pretty descent but they do have the reigning POY and the one thing I can think of Lusk doing that exceeded an expectation going into a game was winning in Omaha. Well Marshall did it too but by a much more dominate performance.

It will be interesting watching MSU next year. Losing Weems and Patterson will be big. If Lusk takes 3rd next year I will be more impressed than this year.

Marshall: These are all his players and they are 13-2, including 7-1 on the fricking road in the valley. Barring a meltdown it's his to lose.

BTW bleach, if WSU is picked 6th next season (which is where I think they probably will be) and WSU somehow finishes 3rd can we count on you pimping Marshall for COY?

If you are saying COY is an award that is accumulated over a several year span......you are right.
I thought COY was for THIS year.
ISUR has jumped many positions from last year and over expectations.
MSU was picked 6th and should be no worse than tied for 3rd.
Eville has been down forever and have become a threat every game.
Good coaching is necessary for these things to happen.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Drakey » February 12th, 2012, 3:08 pm

Marshall has built his entire team and has got them to the point where they are the best team in the Valley. Creighton should be better, but they aren't. Marshall is a no brainer.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shocktheheart » February 15th, 2012, 12:50 pm

Don't think it will be Lowery. Check out #9 on this list.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... ng-edition
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball