Bracket Buster to have 114 teams

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby MVCfans » September 30th, 2010, 4:27 pm

I think the MVC is above the Bracket Buster at this point although I know others might disagree. ESPN has announced that a record 114 teams are participating! Whoopy Doo!

http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/2010/0 ... n-history/
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Bracket Buster to have 114 teams

Postby valleychamp » September 30th, 2010, 5:36 pm

holy crap. Pretty soon, they are going to start letting teams from Illinois State's schedule in this event too.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jet915 » September 30th, 2010, 5:45 pm

Yeah, looks like Butler is not on there either this year. Only non-MVC notable team is St. Mary's and Siena. This looks like a low D1 buster now. We need to get out.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » September 30th, 2010, 5:59 pm

Jet915 wrote:Yeah, looks like Butler is not on there either this year. Only non-MVC notable team is St. Mary's and Siena. This looks like a low D1 buster now. We need to get out.

The CAA teams, ODU, VCU, George Mason are usually pretty quality.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » September 30th, 2010, 11:00 pm

And 106 of them will suck
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 1st, 2010, 8:43 am

valleychamp wrote:
Jet915 wrote:Yeah, looks like Butler is not on there either this year. Only non-MVC notable team is St. Mary's and Siena. This looks like a low D1 buster now. We need to get out.

The CAA teams, ODU, VCU, George Mason are usually pretty quality.

Agreed, the CAA is usually pretty decent. Frankly, if we replaced the BracketBuster with a challenge against the CAA, I could live with that. I know that they tried to get one put together at one time, but my understanding was that the CAA wasn't all that interested and TV coverage couldn't be arranged (Incidentally, the only reason the MVC-MWC challenge worked was because the MWC has their own TV network, the Mtn., and was willing to air some of the games).
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby snoopj » October 1st, 2010, 2:09 pm

I'd love to see a CAA/MVC setup in the future. The CAA is one of the other "mid-major" conferences I like keeping an eye on outside of the MVC.

Even though they are adding so many more teams this year, it doesn't look like we're going to get very many quality games in the mix. Then again, it appears that even though ESPN is allowing 114 teams, they are only going to show 11 on the national feeds. I would think there's 11 pairings in there with some quality to them.
University of Northern Iowa Class of 2000....however, an overall fan of the Missouri Valley Conference.
snoopj
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby BU fan » October 2nd, 2010, 8:34 am

I agree- the MVC needs to get out, or at least threaten to get out and see if the people behind the BracketBuster can do anything to improve the quality of the matchups. Over the past 3 years, 80-90% of MVC teams have played BB opponents that have been well below them in the RPI.
BU fan
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby squirrel » October 4th, 2010, 8:28 am

BU fan wrote:I agree- the MVC needs to get out, or at least threaten to get out and see if the people behind the BracketBuster can do anything to improve the quality of the matchups. Over the past 3 years, 80-90% of MVC teams have played BB opponents that have been well below them in the RPI.

Not going to happen. When the event started there were only a handful of teams invited, and when the event rolled around, a couple of the teams had disappointing years, so the event was unable to do what it was originally intended to do. So that is precisely why the event has been expanded, so as to not miss the good teams.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdmanBB » October 5th, 2010, 7:55 am

snoopj wrote:I'd love to see a CAA/MVC setup in the future. The CAA is one of the other "mid-major" conferences I like keeping an eye on outside of the MVC.

Even though they are adding so many more teams this year, it doesn't look like we're going to get very many quality games in the mix. Then again, it appears that even though ESPN is allowing 114 teams, they are only going to show 11 on the national feeds. I would think there's 11 pairings in there with some quality to them.

yes....replacing the bracketbuster with a MVC/CAA challenge would be a vast improvement and strengthen the conference sos overall. I say go for it. This conference needs to become relevant again in basketball. We should be sending a minimum of 2-3 teams to the NCAA tourney every year.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball