Post Season Award Projections

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby achrist70 » February 13th, 2012, 2:14 pm

Here are mine

Larry Bird Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, I think that he has just done to much for Stutz to over take him for the award but I do think the vote could be getting closer
Freshman of the Year: Seth Tuttle, most complete player and has been playing great down the stretch
Defensive Player of the Year: Jake Odum close race here, I think just he edges out other players, partly on name recongnition
6th Man of the Year: Are Patterson or Lathan eligible? If not Kyles, Downing, or Rank all have done some nice things
Coach of the Year: Gregg Marshall, best team, and has been looking like a top 10 team lately, hard not to give it to him

1st team
Stutz
McDermott
Weems
Ryan
Rice

2nd team
Odum
Carmichael
James
Taylor Brown
Ragland

Honorable Mention (Most if not all of these players are really good, but a lot of people have had good years)
Murry
Young
Echineque
Patterson
Bizoukus
Tyler Brown
Tuttle
Seck
Simons
Lathan

All Freshman Team
Tuttle
Moore
Sawell
Mitchell
Daniels

All Defensive Team
Odum
Carmichael
Rice
Sonnen
Echenique

Just my guesses, again there is a lot of depth of talent this year, a lot of good players will be left of lists

And yes there is going to be a little UNI bias on my list
achrist70
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Post Season Award Projections

Postby oneNEIGHBOR » February 13th, 2012, 2:18 pm

I would put Ben Smith on the defensive team. He has had a great year on defense and was the guy who was wearing McDermotts jersey.
Go Shockers!
Ready for some basketball!
oneNEIGHBOR
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby GrandpaBear » February 13th, 2012, 2:21 pm

Although his stats might not be outstanding Echenique is the most dominant defender I've seen this year. There's just no one quite like him in the league.
GrandpaBear
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby achrist70 » February 13th, 2012, 2:24 pm

GrandpaBear wrote:Although his stats might not be outstanding Echenique is the most dominant defender I've seen this year. There's just no one quite like him in the league.

I really struggled between him and Odum
achrist70
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby 2livewu » February 13th, 2012, 3:47 pm

Did you intend to put Anthony James on 2nd team?

If so, change it. No way James is going to be ahead of Toure' Murry, nor should he.

IF WSU stays 2 clear of CU for the title, I suspect they get two 1st teamers. I also think Ben and Toure' have decent shots at Defensive 1st team, if not DPOY, although I'm fairly certain Rice will win. I can't see Odum there. Injured, he's just not the same player.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby moshock » February 13th, 2012, 3:59 pm

Why would Bizoukas be considered ? He's a nice guard that doesn't turn the ball over but can't hit the broad side of a barn with his shot and he's not an outstanding defender. IMHO, there are 5 (or more) better point guards in the league.

I'm not trying to stir up the home boys but ???? MSU would have been a worse team without him but all league ?
moshock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby cpacmel » February 13th, 2012, 5:22 pm

moshock wrote:Why would Bizoukas be considered ? He's a nice guard that doesn't turn the ball over but can't hit the broad side of a barn with his shot and he's not an outstanding defender. IMHO, there are 5 (or more) better point guards in the league.

Probably because he leads the conference in assists (and assists to turnovers too)
cpacmel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby beatingrillz » February 13th, 2012, 5:34 pm

cpacmel wrote:
moshock wrote:Why would Bizoukas be considered ? He's a nice guard that doesn't turn the ball over but can't hit the broad side of a barn with his shot and he's not an outstanding defender. IMHO, there are 5 (or more) better point guards in the league.

Probably because he leads the conference in assists (and assists to turnovers too)

Downing will be somewhere in all this. Since the voting is based on league numbers only I think Stutz gets the nod over McD.
beatingrillz
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Aargh » February 13th, 2012, 6:56 pm

If you look at Conference-only stats, Demetric Williams is leading in A/TO ratio - by a large margin.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bleach » February 13th, 2012, 6:57 pm

I guess I understand why kids don't practice defense. If Doug is a shoe-in, defense must not matter. Any defensive unit that doesn't include Pickens is wrong at best (Smith too).
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball