Inconsistent officiating

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Inconsistent officiating

Postby iSASO » February 13th, 2012, 9:34 pm

Watching the KU/K-State game and I swear that if the refs in this game called the same fouls on these post players like they called against WSU's Stutz in the Creighton game, everyone would have fouled out.

Why is there a difference? I know there is no such thing as 'Valley refs' or 'Big 12 refs'. But why is there such a difference in the way they are letting these players bang each other around?
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Inconsistent officiating

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Inconsistent officiating

Postby achrist70 » February 13th, 2012, 10:01 pm

iSASO wrote:Watching the KU/K-State game and I swear that if the refs in this game called the same fouls on these post players like they called against WSU's Stutz in the Creighton game, everyone would have fouled out.

Why is there a difference? I know there is no such thing as 'Valley refs' or 'Big 12 refs'. But why is there such a difference in the way they are letting these players bang each other around?

That is just the way some games are officiated, it tends to be the bigger the game the more stuff they let go. It is the players job to adjust to how the game is getting called, if it is loose then bang a little, if it is tight, straight up at all times.
achrist70
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby iSASO » February 13th, 2012, 10:46 pm

Aside from being on Big Monday, wasn't the Creighton vs. WSU game just as big as the KU/K-State game?
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Kyle » February 14th, 2012, 4:34 pm

There is no difference. Fans just like having a scapegoat.

And no, from a national perspective, the KU vs K-State game was much bigger.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ricardo del Rio » February 14th, 2012, 6:28 pm

achrist70 wrote:
iSASO wrote:Watching the KU/K-State game and I swear that if the refs in this game called the same fouls on these post players like they called against WSU's Stutz in the Creighton game, everyone would have fouled out.

That is just the way some games are officiated, it tends to be the bigger the game the more stuff they let go. It is the players job to adjust to how the game is getting called, if it is loose then bang a little, if it is tight, straight up at all times.

I agree 70.

G.E. had one foul. Hard to believe. I have watched the game three times now.

What do I know? I sure do not want to come back as an official in my next life.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » February 14th, 2012, 6:49 pm

Kyle wrote:There is no difference. Fans just like having a scapegoat.

Agreed Kyle. All fans think their league has the worst officials. They don't. Just varies from game to game honestly.

I know someone said they wouldn't like to come back as an official but the pay checks are pretty sweet...and also totally out of control. The leagues need to stand up and not pay such ridiculous prices for officials. Of course, they won't.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » February 14th, 2012, 7:51 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:

Agreed Kyle. All fans think their league has the worst officials. They don't. Just varies from game to game honestly.

I know someone said they wouldn't like to come back as an official but the pay checks are pretty sweet...and also totally out of control. The leagues need to stand up and not pay such ridiculous prices for officials. Of course, they won't.

Econ 101.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » February 14th, 2012, 8:42 pm

Ricardo del Rio wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

Econ 101.

I hear ya Ricardo...and the leagues are convinced they have to pay top dollar to get the "best" officials. However, Im not convinced the guys that make $1300 a game are that much better than the guys that make $500 a game. In my experience, they aren't....at least not two+ times better.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Dad » February 14th, 2012, 8:51 pm

I could get the two best referees in the world to ref a MVC game and the losing fans will whine.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jwa123 » February 14th, 2012, 9:34 pm

Ace Dad wrote:I could get the two best referees in the world to ref a MVC game and the losing fans will whine.

Yes - yes you could. Since games are officiated by a crew of three, the losing fans would be upset that calls didn't get called that should have been called because they were missed as only 4 eyes and not 6 eyes were calling the game.

If you are going to put people down, at least get your facts straight.
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball