Illinois State @ Indiana State

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Illinois State @ Indiana State

Postby hot nuts » February 14th, 2012, 9:09 pm

Very entertaining game, good watch. A couple of dangerous teams in St. Louis. Don't care much for that reffing crew but not the reason the Redbirds can't stop a guard from penetrating the lane non-stop.
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BirdmanBB » February 14th, 2012, 9:11 pm

sycamorestateofmind wrote:Maybe you should try stopping him on the ball screen/ dribble drive he was at the rim all night long tonight and your guys were in such terrible help side D that they had to foul to prevent layup after layup. 34 points, 7 assists, 7 rebounds, 1 turnover and 17-21 from the line. Who gives a F about the missed free throws? We lose by 20 without him tonight.

Not a huge deal to me as long as it is called both ways which it clearly wasn't. Let's face it, the refs had a large part in determining the outcome of the game. Time to move on. Tough road ahead for the birds.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby sycamorestateofmind » February 14th, 2012, 9:18 pm

BirdmanBB wrote:
sycamorestateofmind wrote:Maybe you should try stopping him on the ball screen/ dribble drive he was at the rim all night long tonight and your guys were in such terrible help side D that they had to foul to prevent layup after layup. 34 points, 7 assists, 7 rebounds, 1 turnover and 17-21 from the line. Who gives a F about the missed free throws? We lose by 20 without him tonight.

Not a huge deal to me as long as it is called both ways which it clearly wasn't.

Fair enough - I mean your example about dribble drive baseline is a good one and you have a fair beef. But understand something, Odum was getting to the hoop the entire night, that wasn't the case on your end of the floor. Point being, where we were getting called for maybe a hold out top or a blocking foul - Odum was at the rim getting called for shooting fouls. Did you by chance watch the game? Odum was like high stepping - wayyyy too comfortable. You want to effect Odum you have to be physical with him all the way down the floor. Let him walk it up and he beats you 9 times out of 10. We only had 8 team turnovers all night, just to speak toward how bad you all were on D.
sycamorestateofmind
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » February 14th, 2012, 10:51 pm

Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Re: Illinois State @ Indiana Statty

Postby 2livewu » February 14th, 2012, 11:01 pm

That was a poorly officiated game from my point of view, but I admit I didn't see the game in it's entirety. Odum got WAY too many calls that didn't go the other way, but as mentioned, ISUR has to play better D.

Jake's foot must be feeling better, no?

The Evansville v UNI game is a big one tomorrow.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby NeutralObserver » February 15th, 2012, 6:26 am

Why does Illinois State play three under 6 ft. guards at the same time? All three together could not defend Odom, a thin 6'4 guard with 6'8 wingspan. He nearly wore himself out driving the basket and shooting free throws because of their defensive futility.

:huh:
NeutralObserver
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby redrooster » February 15th, 2012, 10:30 am

I watched the entire game and many fouls were called on jump shots. I know at least two of Allen's five fouls were on jump shots. I've seen games where one team is very aggressive and the fouls kinda pile up....this wasn't one of them. Very poorly officiated game. But the Bird's showed some fight on the road. Hoosier State made their freebies and hit a key shot or two. These two teams seem to like each other's style of play. Should be a very entertaining game if they were to meet in St. Louis.
redrooster
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby ACECARD » February 15th, 2012, 11:19 am

Only real losers blame the refs. for a loss. If they were 10 points ahead with 10 seconds left, there is no overtime. I bet you could find Ind. State fans who thought that the refs. favored Ill. State. With all that being said, IMO, the officials in the MVC are far below the level of basketball being played. Players and fans deserve better. I wouldn't hire some of these guys to do high school games.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » February 15th, 2012, 3:51 pm

ACECARD wrote:Only real losers blame the refs. for a loss. If they were 10 points ahead with 10 seconds left, there is no overtime. I bet you could find Ind. State fans who thought that the refs. favored Ill. State. With all that being said, IMO, the officials in the MVC are far below the level of basketball being played. Players and fans deserve better. I wouldn't hire some of these guys to do high school games.

Speaking out both sides of your mouth there! If the officials are bad, why is it not okay to comment?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdmanBB » February 15th, 2012, 4:07 pm

Wufan wrote:
ACECARD wrote:Only real losers blame the refs. for a loss. If they were 10 points ahead with 10 seconds left, there is no overtime. I bet you could find Ind. State fans who thought that the refs. favored Ill. State. With all that being said, IMO, the officials in the MVC are far below the level of basketball being played. Players and fans deserve better. I wouldn't hire some of these guys to do high school games.

Speaking out both sides of your mouth there! If the officials are bad, why is it not okay to comment?

I also don't think you will find an Indiana St. fan that feels the refs favored us after watching Odum go to the line that much. We even had one of their fans jump on our board and comment on the poor officiating towards us.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball