Since there's a lot of "firing" talk...

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Since there's a lot of "firing" talk...

Postby Ace Dad » February 16th, 2012, 9:26 pm

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:This is a good post because you can take it several different directions. In terms of Weber, I'm hearing from a person with pretty good knowledge of Champaign/Urbana and the U of I that he is in fact done. Sounds like the big money there is focusing on Chris Collins the Duke assistant and Shaka Smart of VCU. I don't really think from a Valley perspective that Gregg is on their short list. At least not yet. So WSU should relax for the time being.

Since that one guy was spoken of let me say that Barry is a great family man and a nice dude. Good ambassador for the Valley. But he could not coach a lick and isn't really qualified for much more than the DOBO of a big basketball school. There are a few people on this board that could outcoach him if given even teams. I'd say even in this very thread there is a handful. It is not an exclusive group. He tried his best in Springfield, but failed with a group of kids that were truly special. Once in a generation sort of talent. A tad better recruiter could have gotten us Tolliver too and perhaps a guy like Jamaal Tatum. It is painful to think about the what might have been had we not bungled the post Alford hiring so poorly. Maybe a kid or two from Poplar Bluff with the last name of Hansbrough would end up there, who knows because Iowa was sucking, Missou and Arkansas were crap then too.

In the end I don't really feel bad for the fired coaches. It is a results oriented business. Barry, Bruce, C-Lo, Jim Les, and so forth all seem like good people but that is life. I don't shed tears for them. They did not produce. Watch the scene from Glengarry Glen Ross, as Blake (Alec Baldwin) said in that famous scene "coffee is for closers." And I am paraphrasing here but first place is a Rolex, second is a set of Steak knives, and third is you are fired. Just the way it is.

Coaches and CEOS get too much credit when things go well and too much blame when things go poorly.

Fan bases and stock holders are some of the hardest to please people on earth.

Just Lin Baby, and Lin now!
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Aargh » February 16th, 2012, 9:35 pm

Hinson got fired because he couldn't get an NCAA invite with a 21 RPI or with a (wasn't it?) 27 rpi.

How's that working out for MSU? There is a conference championship with the last of Hinson's recruits, but not much change on the NCAA invites and it looks like MSU is more than a few years away with Bizoukas, Patterson, and Weems leaving a likely NIT team.

I don't think Hinson would have done worse than what MSU has seen after they booted him - after destroying his ability to recruit in preparation to booting him.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » February 17th, 2012, 6:09 am

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:This is a good post because you can take it several different directions. In terms of Weber, I'm hearing from a person with pretty good knowledge of Champaign/Urbana and the U of I that he is in fact done. Sounds like the big money there is focusing on Chris Collins the Duke assistant and Shaka Smart of VCU. I don't really think from a Valley perspective that Gregg is on their short list. At least not yet. So WSU should relax for the time being.

Since that one guy was spoken of let me say that Barry is a great family man and a nice dude. Good ambassador for the Valley. But he could not coach a lick and isn't really qualified for much more than the DOBO of a big basketball school. There are a few people on this board that could outcoach him if given even teams. I'd say even in this very thread there is a handful. It is not an exclusive group. He tried his best in Springfield, but failed with a group of kids that were truly special. Once in a generation sort of talent. A tad better recruiter could have gotten us Tolliver too and perhaps a guy like Jamaal Tatum. It is painful to think about the what might have been had we not bungled the post Alford hiring so poorly. Maybe a kid or two from Poplar Bluff with the last name of Hansbrough would end up there, who knows because Iowa was sucking, Missou and Arkansas were crap then too.

In the end I don't really feel bad for the fired coaches. It is a results oriented business. Barry, Bruce, C-Lo, Jim Les, and so forth all seem like good people but that is life. I don't shed tears for them. They did not produce. Watch the scene from Glengarry Glen Ross, as Blake (Alec Baldwin) said in that famous scene "coffee is for closers." And I am paraphrasing here but first place is a Rolex, second is a set of Steak knives, and third is you are fired. Just the way it is.

Are you saying a better recruiter than Barry could have gotten Tyler Hansbrough over say North Carolina where he went? Or were you talking about his brother who went to Miss St. and then Notre Dame?
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shocktheheart » February 17th, 2012, 8:06 am

Is this the same source that told you MSU was heading to CUSA?
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball