Since there's a lot of "firing" talk...

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby ValleyFAN » February 16th, 2012, 10:46 am

Since its that time of year when everyone thinks their coach should be fired....
and Bruce Weber held a sad presser last night after another defeat....

Here is a link to the video of Barry Hinsons final press conference on the campus of Missouri State. Not trying to open up any old wounds...dont need to go there....but it is a piece of Valley history that I think some people may want to revisit for old times sake.
:cry: :cry:
http://www.news-leader.com/VideoNetwork/51716616001/Barry-Hinson-s-final-press-conference
ValleyFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Since there's a lot of "firing" talk...

Postby valleychamp » February 16th, 2012, 11:29 am

What happened at Weber's presser last night?
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdmanBB » February 16th, 2012, 11:52 am

He blamed himself for coddlying players. Basically spoke in terms as if he is already out the door and the decision has been made not to keep him.

Apparently the big donors at Illinois told the AD to not let the money stand in the way of letting Bruce go. Illinois will be on the hook for $4mil if they let him go after this season.

I could totally see Marshall being asked to interview for this job. Especially if he performs in March like a lot of analysts think they are going to (next Butler/VCU/top 10 team).
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby GarH » February 16th, 2012, 12:01 pm

Hinson had a few teams that deserved to go to the Dance. Where is he at now?
GarH
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby shocktheheart » February 16th, 2012, 12:14 pm

GarH wrote:Hinson had a few teams that deserved to go to the Dance. Where is he at now?

KU
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ValleyFAN » February 16th, 2012, 12:51 pm

GarH wrote:Hinson had a few teams that deserved to go to the Dance. Where is he at now?

He is director of basketball operations at KU. Working for his friend Bill Self. He's been there for several years now. Would like him to move up to an official coaching position but KU seems to hang on to their assistants well.
ValleyFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Ace Dad » February 16th, 2012, 1:02 pm

ValleyFAN wrote:

He is director of basketball operations at KU. Working for his friend Bill Self. He's been there for several years now. Would like him to move up to an official coaching position but KU seems to hang on to their assistants well.

They pay well, too.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby pafan » February 16th, 2012, 6:48 pm

ValleyFAN wrote:He is director of basketball operations at KU. Working for his friend Bill Self. He's been there for several years now. Would like him to move up to an official coaching position but KU seems to hang on to their assistants well.

After that press conference, do you think you'd be in line do do it all again?
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » February 16th, 2012, 8:17 pm

This is a good post because you can take it several different directions. In terms of Weber, I'm hearing from a person with pretty good knowledge of Champaign/Urbana and the U of I that he is in fact done. Sounds like the big money there is focusing on Chris Collins the Duke assistant and Shaka Smart of VCU. I don't really think from a Valley perspective that Gregg is on their short list. At least not yet. So WSU should relax for the time being.

Since that one guy was spoken of let me say that Barry is a great family man and a nice dude. Good ambassador for the Valley. But he could not coach a lick and isn't really qualified for much more than the DOBO of a big basketball school. There are a few people on this board that could outcoach him if given even teams. I'd say even in this very thread there is a handful. It is not an exclusive group. He tried his best in Springfield, but failed with a group of kids that were truly special. Once in a generation sort of talent. A tad better recruiter could have gotten us Tolliver too and perhaps a guy like Jamaal Tatum. It is painful to think about the what might have been had we not bungled the post Alford hiring so poorly. Maybe a kid or two from Poplar Bluff with the last name of Hansbrough would end up there, who knows because Iowa was sucking, Missou and Arkansas were crap then too.

In the end I don't really feel bad for the fired coaches. It is a results oriented business. Barry, Bruce, C-Lo, Jim Les, and so forth all seem like good people but that is life. I don't shed tears for them. They did not produce. Watch the scene from Glengarry Glen Ross, as Blake (Alec Baldwin) said in that famous scene "coffee is for closers." And I am paraphrasing here but first place is a Rolex, second is a set of Steak knives, and third is you are fired. Just the way it is.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PantherSigEp » February 16th, 2012, 9:04 pm

I have never seen someone start off with "This is a good post". Very interesting, my friend.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball