Who Are The "True Point Guards" In The MVC?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Who Are The "True Point Guards" In The MVC?

Postby Aargh » February 16th, 2012, 8:55 pm

I've got no problems with a PG scoring some points. Bring the ball upcourt, set up the play, make the first pass. Then the Shox go into an offense where EVERYONE is expected to score if they get a good look. Stutz passes well out of the post. Murry and Williams have both played PG and have some handles and passing ability.

Ragland is a better shooter than Williams or Murry, so those guys tend to make an extra pass to get the ball in his hands rather than take their own shots. Ragland ABSOLUTELY fits the role of a true PG in WSU's system.

Mitchell will be really good.

Odum would look better if he had a better supporting cast. He does a lot with the current group, but he'd look so much better playing on a top 3 or top 4 type of team.

Young is very good. Definitely in the top 2 or 3.

Bizoukas probably single-handedly raised MSU's finish in conference by 1 or 2 spots.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BirdmanBB » February 17th, 2012, 8:41 am

We are a completely different team when Nic Moore is running the point. Even as a freshman he is taking on a bit of a leadership role for the birds. I can't wait to see how he develops here. He doesn't have Odums size, but I think he might be a slightly better passer. He doesn't have Odums scoring ability yet, but can when called upon. Once he learns to overcome the height disadvantage at this level, he could be one of the best players in the MVC.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby dannyobyrne » February 17th, 2012, 8:47 am

What I've seen, at least with Creighton fans, is that being the point guard is pretty much a no-win proposition with the fans. Take just the last 11 years, for example. Tyler McKinney -- dude was the definition of a true point guard. He ran the offense smoother than butter on bread. He didn't have tons of offense, but was one of the clutchest guys Creighton's ever had. He hit countless game-winning shots and free throws. BUT! He's too slow! Can't guard anyone! Can't score enough to keep the defense honest! Then he goes down with the eye injury. This team is nothing without McKinney running the show! Then he comes back and it's the same ol' story.

Then Josh Dotzler. At the time, he was Creighton's earliest commit ever. An Omaha kid who hung around the program for years before he even got on campus. Another "true" point guard, with some of the better defense we've had out of the guard position in awhile. What say the fans? Too slow! Can't score! Worst shot I've ever seen! Can't keep the defense honest! Josh graduates, Creighton struggles. Fans: Man, the graduation of Dotzler really hit us harder than I thought it would.

And, yes, Antoine Young. He's taken the criticism that I find hardest to comprehend. He overtook Dotzler as the earliet commit in Creighton history, commiting before his sophomore year in high school. The normal knock on him is that he's not a "true" point guard and that he needs to get his team more involved. Now, he's got a good team this year, but his previous two teams weren't particularly good, especially at things like putting the ball in the hoop. So what did he do the last two years? Oh, just lead the conference in assist to turnover ratio. This year he's only behind Bazooka in that category. And last year he also played 37 min/game because WE DIDN'T HAVE A BACKUP POINT GUARD. He's going to be one of I think two or three players in Creighton history to record 1,000 points and 500 assists (or something like that). He's hit many clutch shots (SIU, Michigan come to mind immediately). Antoine Young has been a better point guard than Ryan Sears overall (Gasp! Blasphemy! Sears definitely has the edge on defense).

So I don't know what the hell a true point guard is, I guess, but I'd take Antoine over any other guy who plays the point guard position in the Valley.

(I also really like Mitchell -- he's going to be GOOD. And Ragland's good. Odum's turnovers would furstrate the hell out of me, but if you gave him to me I'd obviously take him.)
facebook.com/BluejayBanter
twitter.com/bluejaybanter
dannyobyrne
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Ace Dad » February 17th, 2012, 9:33 am

Danny, great feedback. I hear you. I used to tell people that when your son is a college basketball player, that he:

1. Does not jump high enough.

2. Fails to get back on defense quickly

3. Runs through screens too slowly

4. Plays with too much emotion

5. Does not play with enough emotion.

6. Never scores enough

7. Yada, yada
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » February 17th, 2012, 1:01 pm

I think Odum is the best true point guard in the league.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Dad » February 17th, 2012, 1:28 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:I think Odum is the best true point guard in the league.

Agreed.

During the MVC tournament when ISU was about to take the last possession, I looked at my wife and said:

"We have no one to guard Odom and he is going to hit a jump shot or drive to the basket."

He hit the jump shot.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby iSASO » February 17th, 2012, 10:05 pm

Coach Paul Lusk voted for Joe Ragland.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » February 18th, 2012, 10:09 am

When I think of a "true point guard" I think of a guy that always thinks pass first. A guy that can really thread the needle with his passes and a wizard at handling the ball. To me the guy that best fits that description currently is Bizoukas (yes I'm a homer). But I have to say Biz is far from the best PG in the league. He's too limited offensively. If he had a consistent 3 point and mid range game he'd be the best. But if that were the case he probably wouldn't be playing for MSU.

Top all around point in my opinion is Odum. I'd put Young and Ragland next. The reason for Odum over the other 2 is he's more of a pass first guy.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » February 18th, 2012, 10:23 am

Most peoples idea of a true point guard on this board doesn't really exist any more. Just look in the NBA all the best point guards are more combo guards than anything. Rose, Westbrook, Paul, Williams, etc. The definition of true point guard is changing. I think the best point guard in the league is Antoine Young. Ragland and Odum are not far behind him. There are some up and comers too with Nic Moore and Deon Mitchell. I really do like Bizoukas too. He is a true facilitator and MSU wouldn't have been nearly as good without him this year.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby iSASO » February 18th, 2012, 1:14 pm

With today's effort by Joe Ragland, I can see why you would take Jake Odum over Ragland:

30 points, 11-14FG, 3-4 3FG, 5-5 FT
7 rebounds
1 turnover
1 assist
31 minutes

Point guards are measured by wins just like quarterbacks. Joe is a winner.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball