MVCfans.com Predictions - spilt from poll

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Official MVCfans.com Prediction - 3rd Place

Postby WSUbballer » October 2nd, 2010, 11:09 am

snoopj wrote:
WSUbballer wrote:Considering we had a pretty bad downturn after 2006, I wouldn't be surprised that the road record dipped. However, in the timeframe you gave, I would bet that our road record in the last 5 years is in the top half of the Valley. I'm sure time is not an issue with you so why don't you figure the last 5 years' road records of teams and get back to me.

Just for reference, because I have a ton of stats available to me, I put the overall road records (including out of conference play) into this list. Here's the results from 2005-06 to 2009-10:

1) UNI 36-27 (0.571)
2) SIU 28-37 (0.431)
3) CU 26-37 (0.413)
4) DU 24-35 (0.407)
5) BU 26-42 (0.382)
6) WSU 22-38 (0.367)
7) MSU 24-42 (0.364)
8) Ill. State 23-41 (0.359)
9) Ind. State 18-51 (0.261)
10) UE 12-55 (0.179)

Don't know if you were looking for just conference play, but all I had was out of conference immediately available.

Thanks snoop. I appreciate the effort. I was really talking about conference road records as that would indicate a more even field and result.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: MVCfans.com Predictions - spilt from poll

Postby WSUbballer » October 2nd, 2010, 11:16 am

BU fan wrote:
Aargh wrote:The 11 people who have voted for WSU in 3rd (so far) are either too filled with hate to admit the truth or they're delusional.

Those people must have some inside information that indicates WSU will play their second unit unit most of the year. The second unit would be:

Aaron Ellis, Gabe Blair, Ben Smith, David Kyles, and Demetric Williams. There's only one newcomer in that group and he's a physical 6'5" JuCo wing with a good track record of hitting 3's. That group might finish 3rd.

Now who is delusional? That group of bricklayers might be lucky to average 50 points per game.

Well considering it's our second string, I would be happy for 50 ppg. I can't speak for Aargh, but I think he was only half-serious with those remarks.

But in seriousness though, WSU should be the dominate preseason favorite. If you're picking teams based on preseason information, I think it's clear. Now, does that mean WSU will win the thing? Hell no. But on paper (which is the way preseason stuff is based), they should be. If the 12 people who have voted for WSU are just voting out of disdain for a fanbase, that's fine, but that limits the accuracy of the whole poll. If the 12 people who have voted for WSU every week thinks WSU isn't gonna win the league, that's fine too. But from a preseason perspective, I think on paper they deserve some looks. And I think that was the issue.

Aargh's comments, which may have rubbed people the wrong way, were at least on topic. However, a Drake fan quickly turned things a bit and that was followed by the usual band of Panther fans who for some reason decided to intercede with something that wasn't even involving them. The next thing you know Valley Tournament championships are brought up and are considered on par with the National Championship. And what does that lead us with? A 3 page thread that has turned borderline VT-ish.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » October 2nd, 2010, 11:36 am

WSUbballer wrote:Aargh's comments, which may have rubbed people the wrong way, were at least on topic. However, a Drake fan quickly turned things a bit and that was followed by the usual band of Panther fans who for some reason decided to intercede with something that wasn't even involving them. The next thing you know Valley Tournament championships are brought up and are considered on par with the National Championship. And what does that lead us with? A 3 page thread that has turned borderline VT-ish.

I'll interject here quickly: As DUBulldog mentioned to me earlier, because there are fans from 10 schools here (rather than being a board devoted to a single school), there will be constant disagreements on virtually every topic. I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing. It is our hope that the difference between this site and VT is how the posters interact and the fact that there is active moderation.

Is it possible to have a message board comprised of diverse groups with long standing rivalries and not have some good natured give and take? I don't think. Frankly, when the tone is not overtly inflammatory, I think we can all agree that some ribbing between fans of different schools is to be expected and is part of the message board experience.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby snoopj » October 2nd, 2010, 7:39 pm

WSUbballer wrote:Thanks snoop. I appreciate the effort. I was really talking about conference road records as that would indicate a more even field and result.

Working on it. While I have access to the stats, the conference home/road records aren't split out. Beyond the power of Excel.
University of Northern Iowa Class of 2000....however, an overall fan of the Missouri Valley Conference.
snoopj
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Aargh » October 2nd, 2010, 8:47 pm

Just exactly what is the definition of a bricklayer?
Are these the FG %'s of a bunch of bricklayers?

Gabe Blair - 49.4%
David Kyles - 40.3%
Demetric Williams - 44%
Aaron Ellis - 44.3%

That's not lighting the world on fire. That's probably why those players are projected to be on the second unit.

That's 4 guys with a combined 7 years of experience in the MVC. That makes more experience on the second unit than Marshall had on the entire team his first year here - and it's close to the total experience on the team his second year.

I'll take 7 years of Valley experience and 40%+ FG shooting on a defense-oriented team as the second unit. That's probably (I didn't check) better shooting than SIU had on their first unit in the years they were dominating the Valley.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » October 3rd, 2010, 1:16 pm

snoopj wrote:Just for reference, because I have a ton of stats available to me, I put the overall road records (including out of conference play) into this list. Here's the results from 2005-06 to 2009-10:

1) UNI 36-27 (0.571)
2) SIU 28-37 (0.431)
3) CU 26-37 (0.413)
4) DU 24-35 (0.407)
5) BU 26-42 (0.382)
6) WSU 22-38 (0.367)
7) MSU 24-42 (0.364)
10) UE 12-55 (0.179)

Don't know if you were looking for just conference play, but all I had was out of conference immediately available.

This really suprised me. I guess I figured UNI would be up there, but I thought a few other teams would be at least close.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby MoValley John » October 3rd, 2010, 2:27 pm

unipanther99 wrote:
snoopj wrote:Just for reference, because I have a ton of stats available to me, I put the overall road records (including out of conference play) into this list. Here's the results from 2005-06 to 2009-10:

1) UNI 36-27 (0.571)
2) SIU 28-37 (0.431)
3) CU 26-37 (0.413)
4) DU 24-35 (0.407)
5) BU 26-42 (0.382)
6) WSU 22-38 (0.367)
7) MSU 24-42 (0.364)
10) UE 12-55 (0.179)

This really suprised me. I guess I figured UNI would be up there, but I thought a few other teams would be at least close.

Until last year I think Creighton might have been. Not counting the 0-1 in St. Louis, Creighton went 3-13 on the road last year, that will put a huge dent in any team's record. The only games Creighton won away from home last year were against Bradley, Evansville and Southern Illinois. Ouch, that'l leave a mark!!!
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » October 3rd, 2010, 4:56 pm

Those numbers are pretty eye popping. I wouldn't have thought it would be that much of a gap either.

But UNI has been unbelievable on the road in the last two seasons. I think we have only lost 4 MVC road games in two years.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snapshot9 » October 3rd, 2010, 10:31 pm

Valleychamp - you are quite a bit wrong on the 4 road games lost the last 2 seasons. Here's the stats from the 08-09 season alone with 7 road losses to MVC opponents.

http://www.unipanthers.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2008-2009/teamstat.html
Snapshot9
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby WSUbballer » October 3rd, 2010, 10:37 pm

Snapshot9 wrote:Valleychamp - you are quite a bit wrong on the 4 road games lost the last 2 seasons. Here's the stats from the 08-09 season alone with 7 road losses to MVC opponents.

http://www.unipanthers.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2008-2009/teamstat.html

That's a link to the UNI women's basketball stats.. :oops:

It is interesting to note that WSU has accounted for half of UNI's 4 road losses over the last 2 years.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball