MVCfans.com Predictions - spilt from poll

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Official MVCfans.com Prediction - 3rd Place

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 1st, 2010, 2:43 pm

musiccitybulldog wrote:
musiccitybulldog wrote:
Aargh wrote:The 11 people who have voted for WSU in 3rd (so far) are either too filled with hate to admit the truth or they're delusional.

Those people must have some inside information that indicates WSU will play their second unit unit most of the year. The second unit would be:

Aaron Ellis, Gabe Blair, Ben Smith, David Kyles, and Demetric Williams. There's only one newcomer in that group and he's a physical 6'5" JuCo wing with a good track record of hitting 3's. That group might finish 3rd.

Do you think that team will be able to win in Des Moines this year?

I based my question on that no one on the current WSU team has experienced a win in Des Moines regardless of first or second unit.

Actually, considering WSU's road record the last 4-5 years, there are probably quite a few MVC venues that can make a similar claim. I know Omaha certainly can.

EDIT: You know, the more I think about it, there are probably players on WSU's roster that weren't even ALIVE the last time WSU won in Omaha.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby WSUbballer » October 1st, 2010, 6:53 pm

unipanther99 wrote:
WSUbballer wrote:This quote doesn't make any sense. What's with this thread and Panther fans striking out?.. :oops:

When you pull out the "MVC has sucked the past three years" card, that will usually get you a reaction from Panther fans.

And when Panther fans begin piling on WSU fans for no reason other than to pile, you'll get a reaction from them.

And if you think the Valley hasn't trended downward since the mid-2000's, you're blinded by the purple too.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » October 1st, 2010, 6:55 pm

I noticed you ignored my questions. It's hard to respond back to something after you know you got owned.

By the way, it takes big ones to have to change your moniker from the previous message board, UNIfight.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » October 1st, 2010, 7:02 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:Actually, considering WSU's road record the last 4-5 years, there are probably quite a few MVC venues that can make a similar claim. I know Omaha certainly can.

EDIT: You know, the more I think about it, there are probably players on WSU's roster that weren't even ALIVE the last time WSU won in Omaha.

Considering we had a pretty bad downturn after 2006, I wouldn't be surprised that the road record dipped. However, in the timeframe you gave, I would bet that our road record in the last 5 years is in the top half of the Valley. I'm sure time is not an issue with you so why don't you figure the last 5 years' road records of teams and get back to me.

I figured with how bad we were the last 4 years and how totally awesome the BJ's have been the last 4 years that Creighton would have done better than 1-3 against WSU in Wichita in that time period.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Re: MVCfans.com Predictions - spilt from poll

Postby BU fan » October 2nd, 2010, 8:36 am

Aargh wrote:The 11 people who have voted for WSU in 3rd (so far) are either too filled with hate to admit the truth or they're delusional.

Those people must have some inside information that indicates WSU will play their second unit unit most of the year. The second unit would be:

Aaron Ellis, Gabe Blair, Ben Smith, David Kyles, and Demetric Williams. There's only one newcomer in that group and he's a physical 6'5" JuCo wing with a good track record of hitting 3's. That group might finish 3rd.

Now who is delusional? That group of bricklayers might be lucky to average 50 points per game.
BU fan
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby snoopj » October 2nd, 2010, 9:31 am

WSUbballer wrote:Considering we had a pretty bad downturn after 2006, I wouldn't be surprised that the road record dipped. However, in the timeframe you gave, I would bet that our road record in the last 5 years is in the top half of the Valley. I'm sure time is not an issue with you so why don't you figure the last 5 years' road records of teams and get back to me.

Just for reference, because I have a ton of stats available to me, I put the overall road records (including out of conference play) into this list. Here's the results from 2005-06 to 2009-10:

1) UNI 36-27 (0.571)
2) SIU 28-37 (0.431)
3) CU 26-37 (0.413)
4) DU 24-35 (0.407)
5) BU 26-42 (0.382)
6) WSU 22-38 (0.367)
7) MSU 24-42 (0.364)
8) Ill. State 23-41 (0.359)
9) Ind. State 18-51 (0.261)
10) UE 12-55 (0.179)

Don't know if you were looking for just conference play, but all I had was out of conference immediately available.
University of Northern Iowa Class of 2000....however, an overall fan of the Missouri Valley Conference.
snoopj
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby WSUbballer » October 2nd, 2010, 11:09 am

snoopj wrote:
WSUbballer wrote:Considering we had a pretty bad downturn after 2006, I wouldn't be surprised that the road record dipped. However, in the timeframe you gave, I would bet that our road record in the last 5 years is in the top half of the Valley. I'm sure time is not an issue with you so why don't you figure the last 5 years' road records of teams and get back to me.

Just for reference, because I have a ton of stats available to me, I put the overall road records (including out of conference play) into this list. Here's the results from 2005-06 to 2009-10:

1) UNI 36-27 (0.571)
2) SIU 28-37 (0.431)
3) CU 26-37 (0.413)
4) DU 24-35 (0.407)
5) BU 26-42 (0.382)
6) WSU 22-38 (0.367)
7) MSU 24-42 (0.364)
8) Ill. State 23-41 (0.359)
9) Ind. State 18-51 (0.261)
10) UE 12-55 (0.179)

Don't know if you were looking for just conference play, but all I had was out of conference immediately available.

Thanks snoop. I appreciate the effort. I was really talking about conference road records as that would indicate a more even field and result.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » October 2nd, 2010, 11:16 am

BU fan wrote:

Now who is delusional? That group of bricklayers might be lucky to average 50 points per game.

Well considering it's our second string, I would be happy for 50 ppg. I can't speak for Aargh, but I think he was only half-serious with those remarks.

But in seriousness though, WSU should be the dominate preseason favorite. If you're picking teams based on preseason information, I think it's clear. Now, does that mean WSU will win the thing? Hell no. But on paper (which is the way preseason stuff is based), they should be. If the 12 people who have voted for WSU are just voting out of disdain for a fanbase, that's fine, but that limits the accuracy of the whole poll. If the 12 people who have voted for WSU every week thinks WSU isn't gonna win the league, that's fine too. But from a preseason perspective, I think on paper they deserve some looks. And I think that was the issue.

Aargh's comments, which may have rubbed people the wrong way, were at least on topic. However, a Drake fan quickly turned things a bit and that was followed by the usual band of Panther fans who for some reason decided to intercede with something that wasn't even involving them. The next thing you know Valley Tournament championships are brought up and are considered on par with the National Championship. And what does that lead us with? A 3 page thread that has turned borderline VT-ish.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » October 2nd, 2010, 11:36 am

WSUbballer wrote:Aargh's comments, which may have rubbed people the wrong way, were at least on topic. However, a Drake fan quickly turned things a bit and that was followed by the usual band of Panther fans who for some reason decided to intercede with something that wasn't even involving them. The next thing you know Valley Tournament championships are brought up and are considered on par with the National Championship. And what does that lead us with? A 3 page thread that has turned borderline VT-ish.

I'll interject here quickly: As DUBulldog mentioned to me earlier, because there are fans from 10 schools here (rather than being a board devoted to a single school), there will be constant disagreements on virtually every topic. I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing. It is our hope that the difference between this site and VT is how the posters interact and the fact that there is active moderation.

Is it possible to have a message board comprised of diverse groups with long standing rivalries and not have some good natured give and take? I don't think. Frankly, when the tone is not overtly inflammatory, I think we can all agree that some ribbing between fans of different schools is to be expected and is part of the message board experience.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby snoopj » October 2nd, 2010, 7:39 pm

WSUbballer wrote:Thanks snoop. I appreciate the effort. I was really talking about conference road records as that would indicate a more even field and result.

Working on it. While I have access to the stats, the conference home/road records aren't split out. Beyond the power of Excel.
University of Northern Iowa Class of 2000....however, an overall fan of the Missouri Valley Conference.
snoopj
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball