Purple Aces at Bluejays - Tuesday, 7pm - FSN

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Purple Aces at Bluejays - Tuesday, 7pm - FSN

Postby cu8493 » February 22nd, 2012, 9:04 am

Colt Ryan put on one of the best individual performances I will ever witness. Denver Holmes was right behind him for a while, although CU did manage to marginalize him the last 10 minutes and OT.

But when your offense is manufactured around two guys running in circles around screens until they get themselves open for a jump shot, your options are greatly limited when those two are taken out of the equation. CU finally clamped on them in the last two possessions and EU couldn't get a shot up in time. EU ran out the shot clock twice trying to get Colt a shot rather than looking for another option. At the end of OT, EU didn't even try to run any kind of play or get to the rim. It was a great individual effort, which can win you a game here and there and almost won this game. I told my 12 year old that it could be years before he personally see an individual performance like that again.

But, you can't live on inidivudal effort season long, which is why EU is looking at a Thursday night play-in game. Creighton had 5 guys in double figures and another with 9. CU's leading scorer had 5 points in the first half, yet CU led the game until Ryan's half time buzzer-beater. CU's offensive effort was a team effort, which will win you many more games. Unforturnatley, our defense is a team effort also, which is why just about every game is interesting. Colt just added his name to a long list of players who have had career nights against CU.

However, there were two decisions Colt made that may have cost the game. I have no idea why he made no effort to take Echinque to the hoop instead of shooting over top of him from 23 feet when he got him isolated late in OT and the game tied, but I am sure glad he did. Gregory or someone trying to help defense surely would have fouled him had he gone to the hoop. I have no idea why Ryan made no effort to drive to the hole at the end of OT instead of shooting a 23 footer, but I am sure glad he did. With a one-point deficit and CU making sure not to foul, he could have easily gotten to the elbow on CU's defense for a little 10-15 footer.
cu8493
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Ali » February 22nd, 2012, 9:10 am

What a great game. Echenique's tip in was unbelievable to send the game to OT and almost reminded me of a volleyball player diving for a dig with one arm out simply trying to hit it.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby acesfool » February 22nd, 2012, 9:36 am

cu8493 wrote:Colt Ryan put on one of the best individual performances I will ever witness. Denver Holmes was right behind him for a while, although CU did manage to marginalize him the last 10 minutes and OT.

But when your offense is manufactured around two guys running in circles around screens until they get themselves open for a jump shot, your options are greatly limited when those two are taken out of the equation. CU finally clamped on them in the last two possessions and EU couldn't get a shot up in time. EU ran out the shot clock twice trying to get Colt a shot rather than looking for another option. At the end of OT, EU didn't even try to run any kind of play or get to the rim. It was a great individual effort, which can win you a game here and there and almost won this game. I told my 12 year old that it could be years before he personally see an individual performance like that again.

But, you can't live on inidivudal effort season long, which is why EU is looking at a Thursday night play-in game. Creighton had 5 guys in double figures and another with 9. CU's leading scorer had 5 points in the first half, yet CU led the game until Ryan's half time buzzer-beater. CU's offensive effort was a team effort, which will win you many more games. Unforturnatley, our defense is a team effort also, which is why just about every game is interesting. Colt just added his name to a long list of players who have had career nights against CU.

However, there were two decisions Colt made that may have cost the game. I have no idea why he made no effort to take Echinque to the hoop instead of shooting over top of him from 23 feet when he got him isolated late in OT and the game tied, but I am sure glad he did. Gregory or someone trying to help defense surely would have fouled him had he gone to the hoop. I have no idea why Ryan made no effort to drive to the hole at the end of OT instead of shooting a 23 footer, but I am sure glad he did. With a one-point deficit and CU making sure not to foul, he could have easily gotten to the elbow on CU's defense for a little 10-15 footer.

Couldn't agree more about your assessment of the UE offense. That's exactly why we will always be saying if we could just get one good big man. No good big men want to constantly set picks for guards and almost never touch the ball. CU played horrible defense. Why do your guys guard facing the offensive player when he doesn't have the ball? It left your defenders vulnerable to blindside screens the entire game.
acesfool
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby shocktheheart » February 22nd, 2012, 9:37 am

acesfool wrote:
cu8493 wrote:Colt Ryan put on one of the best individual performances I will ever witness. Denver Holmes was right behind him for a while, although CU did manage to marginalize him the last 10 minutes and OT.

Creighton has one of the best offenses in the country and one of the worst defenses in the country as well. If they would buy into defense, they would be a top 10 team.

Couldn't agree more about your assessment of the UE offense. That's exactly why we will always be saying if we could just get one good big man. No good big men want to constantly set picks for guards and almost never touch the ball. CU played horrible defense. Why do your guys guard facing the offensive player when he doesn't have the ball? It left your defenders vulnerable to blindside screens the entire game.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Dad » February 22nd, 2012, 11:27 am

Here is what I think:

Ryan did not want to penetrate because he knew the referee was not going to call a foul, even if the foul was obvious.

Ryan did not want to put the ball on the floor and dribble drive because he did not want to lose it.

I believe he was within his range and believed that with the space he had, go for it.

Of course, he does not have time to think about all the options
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » February 22nd, 2012, 12:25 pm

If I were a Creighton fan (yuck), I would be worried that the Jays are starting to build a reputation of being a soft finesse basketball team.

Look at their league losses this year. I would consider WSU, UNI, MSU, and UE the teams that would be considered the more physical tough defensive teams, and those are the teams that CU has struggled with. They have lost to all of those teams, and their wins over those teams have been very narrow, if not lucky as they were against Evansville last night.

They have virtually destroyed every other MVC team.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby acesfool » February 22nd, 2012, 12:50 pm

I certainly woulsn't consider UNI or UE tough defensive teams. The Valley's defense has really taken a nose dive over the last few years.
acesfool
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Jays26 » February 22nd, 2012, 1:12 pm

valleychamp wrote:If I were a Creighton fan (yuck), I would be worried that the Jays are starting to build a reputation of being a soft finesse basketball team.

Look at their league losses this year. I would consider WSU, UNI, MSU, and UE the teams that would be considered the more physical tough defensive teams, and those are the teams that CU has struggled with. They have lost to all of those teams, and their wins over those teams have been very narrow, if not lucky as they were against Evansville last night.

They have virtually destroyed every other MVC team.

Now that's just funny stuff there......UNI and UE tough defensive teams. :Bam:

We are not good on the defensive side of the ball, everyone knows that. But the Jays have won some very tough games this year where in the past they lose. So I don't think they are "soft".

Oh yeah...if I were a UNI fan :(
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC

Postby valleychamp » February 22nd, 2012, 1:31 pm

Jays26 wrote:Now that's just funny stuff there......UNI and UE tough defensive teams. :Bam:

Are you for real with this?
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » February 22nd, 2012, 1:35 pm

Statistically speaking, Evansville's defense is worse than Creighton's

SCORING DEFENSE G Pts Avg/G
1. Northern Iowa 29 1806 62.3
2. Missouri State 29 1809 62.4
3. Wichita State 28 1772 63.3
4. Illinois State 28 1815 64.8
5. Indiana State 28 1844 65.9
6. Drake 28 1872 66.9
7. Southern Illinois 28 1935 69.1
8. Creighton 29 2024 69.8
9. Evansville 28 1999 71.4
10. Bradley 29 2073 71.5
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball