Trees at Bears, Wednesday 2/22/12

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Trees at Bears, Wednesday 2/22/12

Postby MoBraves » February 23rd, 2012, 4:05 pm

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote: I picked us either second or third in the preseason but I really thought that we would win the Valley in the end. I thought Lusk would be a big upgrade over Cuonzo. But I don't think I was the only one. When you are the defending champ you should have high expectations. We have the facitlities and backing to be at the top of the Valley every year. If we aren't at a minimum top three every year then heads will roll eventually. This year really has me questioning Lusk now. Such an obvious great hire and so little results so far.

Are you serious about this?
Lusk is in his FIRST season!!! Has he ever been head coach at the collegiate level? It's not like you guys had a ton of talent returning! And Cuonzo was a pretty good coach - not sure what you're talking about here.
The newcomers have stepped in well, but sometimes you need a year to really gel.

I thought that BU and MSU would be about the same level not knowing how good your newcomers were and thinking that Geno's new recruits would be better, DSE would have a great year, and that Geno could do more with the current mix of players than Les did.
I'm sorry, but you thinking that the Bears would win the Valley in Lusk's 1st year is cray-ZAY! Of course, so was my prediction that the Bears would finish in the bottom 2 or 3 alongside BU. :huh:

I guess almost every Valley fan thinks their team should finish top 3 every year now. I think that's unrealistic in this current era unless you're Creighton or Wichita, who have proven to be consistent for a while now, have a tremendous fan base, and have an edge in recruiting.

It would have taken a miracle to outdo CU and WSU this year the way they've been playing - even if Missouri St. played as well as you and other Bears fans thought.
MoBraves
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby glm38 » February 24th, 2012, 5:36 am

troutangler wrote:Any Bears fans want to retract statements they made about this team before the season?

"Patterson and Weems might get drafted"

"Copeland is one of our best players"

"We don't have that many questions going into the year"

Of course people on Bear Nation are saying things that got people (me) banned before the season started. Not to mention the stuff being said is directly against the rules that the "new" moderator posted when he took over that board.

I'm just not sure what you are looking for Trout? I'm not going to apologize for looking at things positively. You tend to look at things from a negative perspective even when things are going well. And you are wrong sometimes too.

Just for the record I don't remember anyone saying Copeland was one of our best players? There was a lot of talk about him being deserving of more playing time. So what? Regarding Patterson - I don't remember many posters saying he was positively going to be drafted? Just that he was being looked at by NBA scouts last year. And I think Cuonzo himself reported that. He's got some offensive skills to play in the big league but the rest of his game doesn't measure up.

You really need to let this thing go.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PowderBlue » February 24th, 2012, 8:31 am

sycamorestateofmind wrote:
isumvc1 wrote:shocking win by ISU, I had honestly thought we had waved the white flag on our season, but a different team showed up in Springfield and pulled out a huge road win. I was sure we'd get blown out tonight.

Still a chance to avoid Thursday but odds are slim with a nationally televised game with Creighton looming this Saturday.

Yeah well you have thought that all season as you continue to open mouth insert foot when talking down about you're "own team". Be down all you want - you have had valid reason, but I am sure the board here enjoys your realistic attitude toward the Sycamores. But feel free to continue to dismiss your own team and look foolish in doing so. I'm not saying anything about how the Sycamores will finish this season but your representation of us is sad.

I am sure you had Bears fans convinced they had NOTHING to worry about. How does it feel to be wrong about your own team? No faith! Biggest defeat Bears have had in JQH.

Almost like when you thought WSU at home should have been a 20-25 Favorite vs. "your team".

Or

When you said a loss vs. Bradley was for sure a Thursday game in St. Louis "all you need to know about this game".

You should really evaluate your understanding of the game.

There's nothing wrong with being down on your team when they aren't playing well. The Sycs haven't CONSISTENTLY played well all season. Maybe isumvc1 has gone overboard in his negativity, but in the first half of the conference season, ISU was the second worst team in the MVC. Happily, they've played MUCH better (for stretches) in the second half of the conference season. The game against MSU was what I expected to see defensively all year.

I do find it a little strange that you are here calling out a poster for being negative about our team when you basically crawled in a hole while we sucked and only came back after we started winning, though. Just my .02
PowderBlue
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Ricardo del Rio » February 24th, 2012, 9:46 am

Are we witnessing Trees eating their own?

Say it ain't so, Joe.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball