Are There Any NIT Teams in the MVPC?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Are There Any NIT Teams in the MVPC?

Postby NeutralObserver » February 24th, 2012, 10:29 am

Khan4Cats wrote:If UNI plays on Thursday, they will not get an NIT invite. They probably need to win on Friday at a minimum. The NCAA controls the NIT bids and will not hesitate to skip over a mid-major if the chance is there, not that UNI has given them any reason to do otherwise.

Do you think ?

Wichita & Creighton are the only NCAA or NIT teams this season and it appears both should be headed for the NCAA. Everyone else beat up each other and all have a chance to buy into the CBI or CTI .....CIT? but none will be going to the NIT. It is controlled by the same NCAA folks that control the other one and it is reserved for conference regular season champs that fail to win their conference tournament and 8th to 10th place teams from the BCS conferences.
NeutralObserver
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Khan4Cats » February 24th, 2012, 12:20 pm

NeutralObserver wrote:
Khan4Cats wrote:If UNI plays on Thursday, they will not get an NIT invite. They probably need to win on Friday at a minimum. The NCAA controls the NIT bids and will not hesitate to skip over a mid-major if the chance is there, not that UNI has given them any reason to do otherwise.

Do you think ?

Wichita & Creighton are the only NCAA or NIT teams this season and it appears both should be headed for the NCAA. Everyone else beat up each other and all have a chance to buy into the CBI or CTI .....CIT? but none will be going to the NIT. It is controlled by the same NCAA folks that control the other one and it is reserved for conference regular season champs that fail to win their conference tournament and 8th to 10th place teams from the BCS conferences.

So which of those was WSU last year?

My point is that UNI will likely have a top-75 RPI, which will have people that just go down the RPI list looking at who might be NIT-bound think they will be an 'easy' NIT pick. Not at all likely if they play first on Thursday. That might happen if they are playing their first game in St. Louis on Friday, but I think a game Saturday may be needed. Though, I would say they have a much better chance of being in than being left out if they do make it Saturday.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jet915 » February 24th, 2012, 4:47 pm

I think if UNI can get to 19 wins, they have a shot at being a road NIT team.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby getreal4 » February 24th, 2012, 10:09 pm

UNI has to win on Friday in St Louis to be a NIT team
getreal4
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby NeutralObserver » February 25th, 2012, 11:34 am

An average BCS team will get in the NIT. All six of the Valley teams in the logjam in the middle of the league are average teams not in a BCS league. Any or all of them can buy their way into the other "tournaments" but none will get invited to the NIT. I am not a Valley hater, I am pro-Valley but it is what it is? Don't understand the fixation with UNI? UNI quite possibly will be in the play-in round of the conference tournament? Things will be a whole lot more clear at day's end today!

:huh:
NeutralObserver
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Kyle » February 25th, 2012, 11:52 am

No one is saying UNI is in right now, they are saying if UNI is able to get to 20-10 or 21-20 they will be in.

A 20-10 UNI team is likely a top 70 RPI team and finishes 4th or 5th in the standings. Also, don't forget UNI is still somewhat fresh in the national media's mind compared to other middle of the pack MVC teams.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby getreal4 » February 25th, 2012, 2:43 pm

Kyle wrote:No one is saying UNI is in right now, they are saying if UNI is able to get to 20-10 or 21-20 they will be in.

A 20-10 UNI team is likely a top 70 RPI team and finishes 4th or 5th in the standings. Also, don't forget UNI is still somewhat fresh in the national media's mind compared to other middle of the pack MVC teams.

If the kitties win today and I think they will... and then win on friday in st louis, they should be in the NIT

I agree that recent national success will help.
getreal4
MVC starter
MVC starter

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball