Cost of NCAA Tournament tickets

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Cost of NCAA Tournament tickets

Postby DoubleJayAlum » February 23rd, 2012, 12:57 pm

KingTut wrote:I think the face value of the tickets are the same price no matter whether you're in the first row or the nosebleeds.

I don't know about other arenas, but in Omaha that is not the case. There are two separate price points.

KingTut wrote:Unless you're high enough on the donor list to get good tickets through WSU, I'd just scalp them. They come down a lot in the day or two before the game. In the NCAA games I've been to, I've gotten second-round tickets for well below face.

Of course it all depends on who's playing and where the games are.

I find it hard to believe that tickets in DAllas were that expensive in a state where they'd rather watch football players run drills.

The last time the tourney was in Omaha, the tickets were selling well above face value. As to your Dallas comment, it isn't so much the locale as it is two other things:
(1) the proximity of the teams to the venue (along with the size of their fanbases); and
(2) the general availability of tickets to that venue. Some venues didn't sell out last year. Other venues sold out years in advance. For Omaha there are approximately 150 unsold tickets, almost all in the corners up high. Creighton fans hold all of the other seats.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby KingTut » February 23rd, 2012, 1:16 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:I don't know about other arenas, but in Omaha that is not the case. There are two separate price points.
The last time the tourney was in Omaha, the tickets were selling well above face value. As to your Dallas comment, it isn't so much the locale as it is two other things:
(1) the proximity of the teams to the venue (along with the size of their fanbases); and
(2) the general availability of tickets to that venue. Some venues didn't sell out last year. Other venues sold out years in advance. For Omaha there are approximately 150 unsold tickets, almost all in the corners up high. Creighton fans hold all of the other seats.

When it was here in Tulsa last year, it was the same price everywhere.
"We had some ticket-pricing struggles. It was the same price everywhere ($237 or an all-session ticket or $79 for a single-session ticket). It didn't matter if you were near the floor or in the rafters. Everybody knows that tickets are like real estate. If you get a prime location, you pay more for that."

From looking at ticketmaster for the various second and third-round sites, there's only a very minor price difference (~$10 a session) between nose bleeds and courtside. Is there more of a price difference than that in Omaha?

I went to the UNI-UNLV and KU-Lehigh first round session in OKC a couple years ago. I got some decent lower bowl tickets for $40 each, well below face, and that was with a massive amount of Kansas fans there. Maybe it would've been more if there had been a second local team there or in a city that likes basketball.

For last year's games in Tulsa, I ended up calling the Oakland U ticket office last year, and paying face for some really good seats at center court. That's always on option for those far-away schools that don't travel well.
KingTut
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby LMS » February 23rd, 2012, 2:47 pm

With Kansas more than likely coming to Omaha tickets will be rather expensive on the secondary market. If Creighton plays on the same day you might be able to get a great deal from the Jays fans with tickets.
LMS
All MVC
All MVC

Postby iSASO » February 23rd, 2012, 9:07 pm

Thanks. I got my order form via the ticket office today so we'll see how much 25 years of season tickets is really worth on the points system. DoubleJay, I appreciate you giving me your tickets. That was your "special" price I assume so go ahead and mail them to me. You are a sweetheart.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby LJay » February 23rd, 2012, 10:35 pm

Capitalism lives even with "redistribution" politicians in charge. Get ready to cough up some caaaaash!!
LJay
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ace Dad » February 23rd, 2012, 10:46 pm

Go to the host city and drink beer while watching the game at a Sports Bar ;)

Preferably one with "lots of talent."
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball