Missouri State at Evansville - 2/25

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Missouri State at Evansville - 2/25

Postby FeartheQ » February 25th, 2012, 9:53 pm

Being in the 3/6 game I feel more confident than I would have if we were playing in the PIG. I still feel Evansville should be 1-2 point favorites. Overall I feel good about the Bears even with their 4 game losing streak.
FeartheQ
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby glm38 » February 25th, 2012, 9:56 pm

Ace Dad wrote:
FeartheQ wrote:Rematch.. good thing we have been saving our game for St. Louis :huh:

No doubt, based on the 39 "its freakin Evansville" or "just the Aces" views from the Bear Nation. We will respect you as a worthy opponent next Friday and will not look past you.

Just ole Evansville...........................

Ace Dad - if you go to almost any of the MVC teams individual websites you will find all kinds of similar statements and name calling of opposing Valley teams. Based on my limited knowledge of this I think bear nation is kind of tame compared to a couple of others. If that kind of stuff bothers you - then why even look at bear nation or the other team fan forums?

Congrats on the win today Evansville. You've proven you are the better team this year. I guess we'll see you in StL for round 3.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Dad » February 25th, 2012, 10:07 pm

glm38 wrote:
Ace Dad wrote:
FeartheQ wrote:Rematch.. good thing we have been saving our game for St. Louis :huh:

No doubt, based on the 39 "its freakin Evansville" or "just the Aces" views from the Bear Nation. We will respect you as a worthy opponent next Friday and will not look past you.

Just ole Evansville...........................

Ace Dad - if you go to almost any of the MVC teams individual websites you will find all kinds of similar statements and name calling of opposing Valley teams. Based on my limited knowledge of this I think bear nation is kind of tame compared to a couple of others. If that kind of stuff bothers you - then why even look at bear nation or the other team fan forums?

Congrats on the win today Evansville. You've proven you are the better team this year. I guess we'll see you in StL for round 3.

I have been to all ten arenas and have visited all the message boards and each fanbase has its own unique personality. Later on this year, visit all ten Message Boards and then we will talk.

May the Bears have a good game Friday night, but not too good of a game ;)
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aces44 » February 25th, 2012, 10:11 pm

glm, You are right, every fan base bashes the next and is overly high on their own stink. That being said, the Aces fan base is particularly salty about all the "EU" references, and the "get Evansville out of the conference, they are so bad, they are bringing the conference down" references we heard last year. Now that I have said that, I am counting on getting smashed on friday night. Very hard to beat a team 3 times in one season, especially when both of those have been OT wins.
Aces44
MVC starter
MVC starter

Re: The "Wounded" MSU Bears At the "Cornered" Evansville Ace

Postby sixth ace » February 25th, 2012, 10:21 pm

sixth ace wrote:It will be a hard fought match and while I hope the Aces win by double digits,there is too much for both team to believe this is going to be anything but a tough one

Go Aces
Sweep the Bears

Here is a quote for Friday's game
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Dad » February 25th, 2012, 10:36 pm

Either team can win or lose by 1-2 points or win or lose by 10-15 points.

Parity, parity, parity.
Denver%20Sends%20to%20OT.JPG
Denver%20Sends%20to%20OT.JPG (221.07 KiB) Viewed 1692 times
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby getreal4 » February 26th, 2012, 8:37 am

If the Bears win on Friday, will the 14-15 Aces be able to buy a postseason game in the CBI or CTI?
getreal4
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MoStateDwight » February 26th, 2012, 9:22 am

UE 71 wrote:
Comin' Up Aces wrote:Can anybody clarify what exactly happened with Gulley in OT? They announced that he committed his fifth foul, but he never left the game. I assume it must have been a mix-up, but they never announced a correction, nor did they change the scoreboard. ESPN box score has him listed as having 4 PFs, but their play-by-play lists 5 fouls for him. After appearing to have fouled out, he hit a big three that tied the game.

Anyone have any clarification on that?

I went back and reviewed the official scoring on the UE basketball web page and the box score summary shows only 4 fouls. However, I looked at the play-by-play and counted 5 with the last one being at :14 in OT. He made a shot after that which might have been the basis of a protest if we had lost.

I went through the play by play on ESPN and it did say "Foul on Jarmar Gulley" 5 unique times but the box score only shows 4 fouls for him. However, if you look at the one listed at 5:30 remaining in the 2nd half, it is immediately followed by free throws for Kyle Weems. I'm guessing this was an error. Most likely this was actually a foul on Troy Taylor of Evansville who wears number 5, Jarmar's number as well. If you go through the play by play there are only 2 listings of "Foul on Troy Taylor" but he is listed with 3 fouls in the box score.

So it looks like 4 fouls on Jarmar Gulley was accurate and there was just a keying error in the electronic play by play.
MoStateDwight
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Bball Junkie » February 26th, 2012, 9:29 am

getreal4 - The Aces are currently 15-14 overall and 9-9 in the MVC. Hopefully they win again Friday night to improve those records, but even if they lose, they will still be at .500 for the season at 15-15 while playing in the 8th best conference in the nation. Also note that, even though it was a result of tiebreakers, UE can still claim a 3rd place finish in the conference standing only behind 2 ranked teams. So, yes, I would think they could try to get into a postseason tourney again....hopefully their RPI continues to climb following their win yesterday against MSU coupled with wins by TCU (vs New Mexico), North Carolina (vs Virginia), and maybe IU (today vs Minnesota).
Bball Junkie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby pafan » February 26th, 2012, 9:51 am

MoStateDwight wrote:
I went through the play by play on ESPN and it did say "Foul on Jarmar Gulley" 5 unique times but the box score only shows 4 fouls for him. However, if you look at the one listed at 5:30 remaining in the 2nd half, it is immediately followed by free throws for Kyle Weems. I'm guessing this was an error. Most likely this was actually a foul on Troy Taylor of Evansville who wears number 5, Jarmar's number as well. If you go through the play by play there are only 2 listings of "Foul on Troy Taylor" but he is listed with 3 fouls in the box score.

So it looks like 4 fouls on Jarmar Gulley was accurate and there was just a keying error in the electronic play by play.

Further, inside the Ford Center, the foul was initially announced on Jamar Gulley. Then we had the Under 8 minute timeout. When the teams were in the huddle, we heard "Correction: Foul is on #5 Troy Taylor." So yes, that's exactly what happened.
Last edited by pafan on February 26th, 2012, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball