MVC Post Season awards

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Post Season awards

Postby 1972Shocker » February 26th, 2012, 9:17 am

glm38 wrote:I agree with you regarding Echenique. He's by far the best defensive post in our league.

After seeing what I saw yesterday in WSU's win over Drake (and in a number of other games) not sure I am buying that statement at all. And no I am not referring to Garrett Stutz whose defense is one of his weaknesses, although his defesnive rebounding has been great.

The best defensive post in the league is a guy who doesn't get a lot of minutes because he is so limited offensively and he is WSU's 3rd option in the post behind Garrett Stutz and Carl Hall. However, when he does get on the floor he is the most disruptive defensive player in the league IMHO. Also when he is in the game he allows the Shocks to be more aggressive and take more defensive chances on the press and on the perimeter.

Not saying he deserves any kind of awards. He doesn't. Not enough minutes. But if all we are talking about is pure defense in the post then Ehimen Orupke is the man IMHO.
1972Shocker
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby havoc » February 26th, 2012, 9:33 am

uniftw wrote:UE is also one banked 35 foot three over a double team at the buzzer away from the pig as well

And they are also a banked in three from being all alone in 3rd place. What is your point?
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby pafan » February 26th, 2012, 9:58 am

havoc wrote:And they are also a banked in three from being all alone in 3rd place. What is your point?

Would have been a much more boring finish to the conference season. Not much else would have gotten me to watch Indiana State vs. Creighton instead of Purdue vs. Michigan.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby beatingrillz » February 26th, 2012, 11:53 am

havoc wrote:
uniftw wrote:UE is also one banked 35 foot three over a double team at the buzzer away from the pig as well

And they are also a banked in three from being all alone in 3rd place. What is your point?

Or 3 Denver Holmes prayers from being in 8th.
beatingrillz
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Aces44 » February 26th, 2012, 3:44 pm

beatingrillz wrote:
havoc wrote:

Or 3 Denver Holmes prayers from being in 8th.

If you call Denver Holmes (43% 3pt, 89% FT) shooting open jump shots at the end of games "prayers", then you are correct.
Aces44
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby PurpleRedbird » February 26th, 2012, 4:39 pm

Getting back to the actual subject of the thread, I wouldn't argue with any of the selections. I do think John Wilkins of ISUr deserves some recognition as defensive player of the year. I would not pick him to win it, but would probably pick him top 5.
PurpleRedbird
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Ace Dad » February 26th, 2012, 4:46 pm

Are you talking about the bank shot that Illinois State hit on us that led to an Aces defeat?

Are you talking about the tip in at the buzzer by WSU that led to an Aces defeat?

Or, are you talking about CU barely beating us in Omaha last week?

Talk about both sides of the ledger when you talk about one possession games. We have lost many more then we have one and that is an indicator of Parity and Competitiveness.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WooHoo » February 26th, 2012, 11:02 pm

Ace Dad wrote:Are you talking about the tip in at the buzzer by WSU that led to an Aces defeat?

Huh? What "tip in at the buzzer" are you talking about?
WooHoo
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Wufan » February 27th, 2012, 9:45 am

I think it was a missed tip-in by UE...point remains.

I'm disappointed that Greg won Defensive POY and that Carl wasn't considered for NOY, but I believe that your choices were quite defensible and more rational than I would have made.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » February 27th, 2012, 10:24 am

havoc wrote:

Let's play the hypothetical game then...

UNI is a blown 11 point lead at CU (and halftime lead)from being 2-0 against CU and 10-8
UNI is a blown 16 point lead against BU (12 at half) away from being 11-7
UNI is a 8 point 2nd half blown lead (in a game Murray hit the game winner with 12 seconds left and UNI missed a last second shot)away from beating WSU and being 12-6
UNI is a banked 35 foot 3 over 2 defenders away from beating UE and being 13-5

UNI, OTOH, has benefited from only 1 "last second" shot, and that was against MSU. You could include the CU game, but that game was tied and UNI doesn't lose if that 3 doesn't go in (I believe UNI wins in OT).

I could probably play this game for every school at 9-9. That was my point.

Brag all you want about "UE being 1 game away from 3rd place all alone"....5 other schools can say that (including the team that got the 8 seed this year).
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball