MVC Post Season awards

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Post Season awards

Postby Snaggletooth » February 25th, 2012, 6:03 pm

cpacmel wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:
cpacmel wrote:Ryan (36.8) on avg plays nearly 3.5 more minutes per game than McDermott (33.4) too.

good point. Evidently Ryan is in better shape than McDermott and has more stamina.

Or Creighton blows out more people than Evansville and can sit McDermott more at the ends of the games.

Lol, creighton blowing people out....that is funny. Who do you think cu is wsu?

if that was true then he would have much less than 33 minutes.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Aces44 » February 25th, 2012, 6:13 pm

If Colt Ryan won POY, that would be a total joke.

He's a great player but he has to make Evansville a competitive team atleast, like atleast a solid 4th place or better to be considered.

Excellent Point. Let's consider him now.

Obviously I am biased, but minutes played simply cannot be considered; as coaches decisions, fouls, margin of victory, play a huge part.
Aces44
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby pafan » February 25th, 2012, 6:55 pm

glm38 wrote:I agree with you regarding Echenique. He's by far the best defensive post in our league. Has any MVC post had a standout game when going against him? If so I'm not aware of it. Just because CU isn't strong defensively doesn't mean he isn't on an individual basis.

I believe Ryan Sawvell tied his career high when Creighton came to Evansville. Yeah, it was 12 points, but he's a freshman starter.

I would confirm this, but there is an error in Evansville's media gude. Unless I missed the game where Sawvell scored 150.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby sixth ace » February 25th, 2012, 7:32 pm

Jet915 wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:seems to me you have to look at the stats in MVC context. Like CU played easier schedule than Evansville.

MVC Only

Ryan - 22.1 ppg
McDermott - 20.9 ppg

McDermott was more impressive out-of conference with the weaker schedule and but he was exposed for not being a complete player (e.g. playing DEFENSE). Ryan not only can score but also play defense and feed his own offensive players. Ryan average 3.5 assist per game, 88% from FT, and average 2.1 steals per game and was a better outside shooter than McDermott.

McDermott did rebound well and shot higher pct from field, but that more a difference about position than skill comparison.

I would give POY to Ryan. Let Evansville have some love.

If Colt Ryan won POY, that would be a total joke. Evansville is one loss from possibly being a Thursday night team. He's a great player but he has to make Evansville a competitive team atleast, like atleast a solid 4th place or better to be considered. It's not like Colt Ryan is averaging like 30 points a game to make up for his teams poor play all year. As far as non-conference schedule, Evansville might have played statistically a tougher nonconference but getting DESTROYED by North Carolina and Indiana hardly helps his case. McDermott actually played a big part in beating good teams like SDSU.

Solid 4th???? Lets see swept UNI anybody get their RPI? :huh: Swept MSU lets see what was their RPI? :huh: We lost a lot of Close one 6 or 7 by 1-2 points. OH wait by Conference rules we finished THIRD! I think it is a solid 4th
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby getreal4 » February 25th, 2012, 7:48 pm

As a Drake fan, I wasn't impressed by Ryan nor the Aces this season. :huh: 8-)
getreal4
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby sixth ace » February 25th, 2012, 8:17 pm

getreal4 wrote:As a Drake fan, I wasn't impressed by Ryan nor the Aces this season. :huh: 8-)

Wow I'll Hate myself for this later. You know I just printed off the tournament bracket, Isn't Drake a P.I.G team. JUst wondering and I said I was really going to hate myself.... okay where is the invisible ink.. I guess it was lets get real :huh:

Man I really feel bad nah
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » February 25th, 2012, 8:19 pm

I just completed by post season awards write up. There are a couple of really close ones and some not as debatable (ie, Coach of the Year). Check back tomorrow for the first installment.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby getreal4 » February 25th, 2012, 8:42 pm

sixth ace wrote:
getreal4 wrote:As a Drake fan, I wasn't impressed by Ryan nor the Aces this season. :huh: 8-)

Man I really feel bad nah

Sixth congrats on winning the standings tiebreaker and to your team for having a fantastic award winning season. :Yea!: :D I'm glad the 9-9 record excites you as a fan. And have fun in the CBI or CTI tourney, those are real accomplishments to hang in your arena along with the 9-9 conference record. :Yea!: :Yea!:

Jabbing aside, this has been a very strange season. Drake beats up on the thirdplace Aces twice and is one of only two teams to beat first place Wichita, yet finish 7th and are again in the PIG. Lots of poor performances by the mid pack teams IMO as evidenced by the Aces being humbled by a PIG opponent.
getreal4
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby sixth ace » February 25th, 2012, 9:20 pm

It Has a unique season. For 6 teams to be in this position and be broken down by tie breakers and SOSfor ranking is unusual. Colt Ryan has been a great player for the Aces and has had MVC & National ranking comparable to Mc Dermott. If POY is how much a player gets his team to the end of the season then Colt is Standing Tall and proud. He is a Senior next year and we shall see what he has done for this team the 2013-14 season.

Ryan POY
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Dad » February 25th, 2012, 9:25 pm

"Lots of poor performances by the mid pack teams IMO as evidenced by the Aces being humbled by a PIG opponent."

Reverse this. Parity of several pretty good teams. Several teams either beat our top two teams or gave them a run for their money. I am proud of our 9-9 record and I also know that we were 4 bounces from 13-5.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball