Predictions vs. Reality

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Predictions vs. Reality

Postby valleychamp » February 25th, 2012, 10:12 pm

Aces44 wrote:It really is plain and simple.
The great/tragic thing about sports is that there are no ties! (soccer doesn't count).
3rd place plays at 8:30 on friday night, 4th place plays at 2:35 on friday.

I'm sure you would feel the same way if your Aces tied for the league championship, but received a 2 seed in STL.

If fact, I'm sure that you would advocate that Evansville should not receive a championship trophy, because "they didn't finish 1st".
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby sixth ace » February 25th, 2012, 10:12 pm

MSUBear42 wrote:
Aces44 wrote:
tiebreakers only apply to seeding and not league standings

uuhhh, What???

The league standings determine the seeding order.

Yes, but the seeds are not the standings.

Not like I care, we don't deserve to claim finishing 3rd the way we collapsed to end the season.

If you check the MVC board UE is listed 7th due to Evansville's overall schedule but tied for 3rd.
Last edited by sixth ace on February 25th, 2012, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Khan4Cats » February 25th, 2012, 10:14 pm

valleychamp wrote:
The great/tragic thing about sports is that there are no ties! (soccer doesn't count).

I'm sure you would feel the same way if your Aces tied for the league championship, but received a 2 seed in STL.

If fact, I'm sure that you would advocate that Evansville should not receive a championship trophy, because "they didn't finish 1st".

And to go one further, he probably won't be willing to claim to be MVC Champions if the Aces win it all in St. Louis, since WSU clearly was 1st in the standings and seed...
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aces44 » February 25th, 2012, 10:21 pm

Khan4Cats wrote:
valleychamp wrote:

And to go one further, he probably won't be willing to claim to be MVC Champions if the Aces win it all in St. Louis, since WSU clearly was 1st in the standings and seed...

Absolutely correct, if you lose the tiebreaker, those are the rules, you finished 2nd. There is only one first place, and the winner of the tourney, is the winner of the tourney, not the regular season champ, which I believe is the most cherished.
Aces44
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Ace Dad » February 25th, 2012, 10:41 pm

Aces44 wrote:Correct, everyone can claim that the were the 3rd place team in the Valley this year, but the seedings reflect the standings based on tiebreakers set by the conference.
To your point, I'll give 100-1 odds that there are 5 media guides next year that say their team finished 3rd this year. :Cheers:

One team finished 1st.

One team finished 2nd.

One team finished 3rd.

One team finished 4th.

But, I know what you are saying. If I am Coach Lusk, the narrative says "guided the team to a tie for 3rd place in the MVC, the 8th best conference in D1 basketball...............
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby beatingrillz » February 25th, 2012, 11:23 pm

There are 5 3rd place teams that is the facts. That is the record after 18 games. If you want to argue the seeds that is one thing but if you use the power rankings system you will have a different seed. Be happy EU next year you can return to obscurity and spoiling the league.
beatingrillz
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby bryce » February 25th, 2012, 11:37 pm

beatingrillz wrote:There are 5 3rd place teams that is the facts. That is the record after 18 games. If you want to argue the seeds that is one thing but if you use the power rankings system you will have a different seed. Be happy EU next year you can return to obscurity and spoiling the league.

EU might but UE won't. A knowledgeable basketball fan would know that.
bryce
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby sixth ace » February 25th, 2012, 11:38 pm

beatingrillz wrote:There are 5 3rd place teams that is the facts. That is the record after 18 games. If you want to argue the seeds that is one thing but if you use the power rankings system you will have a different seed. Be happy EU next year you can return to obscurity and spoiling the league.

UE will return one of the most experienced team in the MVC next year. Obscurity will belong to one of the other nine teams
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby cpacmel » February 26th, 2012, 12:10 am

sixth ace wrote:UE will return one of the most experienced team in the MVC next year. Obscurity will belong to one of the other nine teams

I count 2 starters that UE loses (Holmes and Harris).

Illinois State doesn't have a single SR on their roster.

Creighton loses 1 starter (Josh Young)

UNI loses 1 starter (Johnny Moran)

Drake loses 1 starter (Alexander) and one top reserve (Woods). They should also get VanDeest back.
cpacmel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby beatingrillz » February 26th, 2012, 12:27 am

bryce wrote:

EU might but UE won't. A knowledgeable basketball fan would know that.

EU is UE and UE is EU, even fans of the aces see the need to move down. The MVC should see if Butler would be interested in swapping them spots since all 36 students were out in full force today.
beatingrillz
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball